Fuel Pump Replacement on 96 FWB
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By oldcaddybuyer
  • 1 Post By CadillacPimpinNOLA
  • 1 Post By oldcaddybuyer
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Fuel Pump Replacement on 96 FWB in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Yesterday, we were on our way to Aiken, SC in the black FWB. Cruising around 77 between Augusta and Aiken ...
    oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS|1996 FWB(x2)|2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

Fuel Pump Replacement on 96 FWB

Yesterday, we were on our way to Aiken, SC in the black FWB. Cruising around 77 between Augusta and Aiken on I20 there was a sudden loss of power and she dropped about 10 mph then kicked back in and got back up to speed. I disengaged the cruise and tested her out by varying speed and shifting gears. Everything seemed fine. Exit the interstate a few miles later and drove four miles to the first red light. Light turned green and as soon as I completed the turn she died. Tried to start, she turned over, but would not run. Cycled the key a few times and tried again. She idled rough but died soon as I gave her some gas. I said well must be the fuel pump. No lights or any indication other than the gasp on the interstate. I had noticed that it took a little longer than usual to crank lately so I guess that could have been another sign.

The dealer called back today and said it was indeed the fuel pump and recommended changing the filter and strainer as well. My question is this: is there anything else I should have them change? I was thinking about changing the fuel gauge while they were in the tank. Opinions and suggestions welcome.

Everywhere I go in this car I get looks, comments, and folks talking. Breaking down was no different. While in the intersection there were people stopping to offer assistance and just about all of them said "nice caddy" or "sweet ride" and had one guy tell me she was "straight up gangsta" (just had windows tinted Monday). A state trooper helped me push her into a yard adjacent to the intersection and I still had folks talking to me as we sat waiting for a tow. One elderly gentleman pulled up and said "you got a real treasure there" and we talked for awhile. I can drive the STS all day and nobody says a word but even broke down on the side of the road this old girl had folks stopping to look. Cracks me up!
    Cadillacboy and talismandave like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacPimpinNOLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood 1968 coupe DeVille

Re: Fuel Pump Replacement on 96 FWB

if the sending unit is functioning fine then theres no need to change it right now, the fuel pump is connected to it and comes out at the same time though so its your call if you want to spend the extra cash...if its not reading right then yes this is the perfect time to do it.
    turbojimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacPimpinNOLA View Post
    if the sending unit is functioning fine then theres no need to change it right now, the fuel pump is connected to it and comes out at the same time though so its your call if you want to spend the extra cash...if its not reading right then yes this is the perfect time to do it.
    Thanks for the response. I've noticed some flucuation once it gets to the half mark. It will go up a notch or two and back down again. I can get the ACDelco sending unit from rockauto for $229.28 shipped. I figured it best to replace now while they had the tank off to save labor cost of dropping it again in the future.

CadillacPimpinNOLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood 1968 coupe DeVille

its all what you want to spend and if it bothers you that much... a notch or too could be just gas sloshing around moving the float up and down.

my car, it doesnt work, reads a full tank all the time but i know when im at half tank and top it back off again

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

As much as I hate to read something bad happened to your car cuddle , I am very pleased to see your car has got many attention and appreciate the way people approached it , very nice of them as well .

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillacboy View Post
    As much as I hate to read something bad happened to your car cuddle , I am very pleased to see your car has got many attention and appreciate the way people approached it , very nice of them as well .
    I was expecting the fuel pump to go at anytime. When I had the STS in for service last month, I ran into a gentleman that has an identical 96 FWB that was in for a pump replacement. I agree with you, it was great to see so many folks offering assisstance and being courteous.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

I would replace the sender. It will fail eventually and if you're paying someone to drop the tank you may as well pop one in so you don't have to pay them again later. Since I like to torture myself with such jobs, I recently did just the opposite: replaced just the sender knowing the pump will actually fail eventually.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Pretty cool the reaction of people to your car.

I got her back yesterday. New fuel pump, strainer, filter, sending unit, oil change, tire rotation, and an alignment. I ordered the sending unit from Rock Auto since the service department couldn't touch the price. She fires right up and glides down the road. Now if the rain will stop long enough for me to detail her.
    Cadillacboy likes this.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Cool , great news , happy driving

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.