Took my limo to the top shop - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Took my limo to the top shop in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by csbuckn Did you do the black light thing yet? Yes - just now because of your post ...
    turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Re: Took my limo to the top shop

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    Did you do the black light thing yet?
    Yes - just now because of your post :-) I had forgotten until now.

Blacklight shows a lot of dye on the new accumulator bracket with traces running down the accumulator itself. There's also some dye seeping from the compression fitting on the orifice tube repair kit. The compression fitting that I feared was leaking, however, does not appear to be leaking.

I think I can crank down that orifice tube repair kit fitting some more to see if it seals. It looks like the big leak is the low side Schrader valve on the accumulator, though.

I'll have to check the fittings on the expansion valve for the aux A/C. That's inside the car and harder to get at. It's too late and I'm too tired.

Thanks for asking, csbuckn. I'd have kicked myself tomorrow morning - I need to check it at night so the dye lights up.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    Yes - just now because of your post :-) I had forgotten until now.

Blacklight shows a lot of dye on the new accumulator bracket with traces running down the accumulator itself. There's also some dye seeping from the compression fitting on the orifice tube repair kit. The compression fitting that I feared was leaking, however, does not appear to be leaking.

I think I can crank down that orifice tube repair kit fitting some more to see if it seals. It looks like the big leak is the low side Schrader valve on the accumulator, though.

I'll have to check the fittings on the expansion valve for the aux A/C. That's inside the car and harder to get at. It's too late and I'm too tired.

Thanks for asking, csbuckn. I'd have kicked myself tomorrow morning - I need to check it at night so the dye lights up.
    Now we are getting some place.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

No problem, I've always wanted to do one. Does the dye really stand out under the light?

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    No problem, I've always wanted to do one. Does the dye really stand out under the light?
    Yes, but it has to be dark outside or in a dark garage. I screwed up, though, and didn't wash everything down with brake cleaner first. The guy at the a/c shop said to do that. The dye on the accumulator might just be spray from connecting and disconnecting the low pressure charge line. I'll have to clean it and look at it again tonight. I suspect that orifice tube kit fitting.

Found the problem. My compression fittings appear to be holding. I washed everything down with brake part cleaner. While doing that, I noticed that the new compressor is slinging oil all over the frame rail. Mystery solved.

I bought it on FleeceBay and the warranty stipulates "professional installation". Let the games begin....

Found the problem. My compression fittings appear to be holding. I washed everything down with brake part cleaner. While doing that, I noticed that the new compressor is slinging oil all over the frame rail. Mystery solved.

I bought it on FleeceBay and the warranty stipulates "professional installation". Let the games begin....

Uh oh!

Wow I didn't realize how horrible that picture came out. The dark color on the frame rail is oil.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

I am extremely happy you found the smoking gun , it really looks nasty lol
    jamespowers likes this.

Yes, it's nasty. The shaft seal is leaking and not only is it slinging the oil and refrigerant all over everything it's also blowing back onto the compressor and beyond. I just can't win with this a/c job. On the one hand I'm glad it's not something I did, on the other the whole thing needs evacuated, compressor replaced and recharged. Makes me tired thinking about it.

Naturally the vendor has not been quick to reply to my warranty inquiry.

Much to my delight and surprise, the vendor acknowledged that they had a bad batch of shaft seals and I must have gotten one of them. They're sending me another compressor and a pre-paid shipping label to send the old one back. I'm a little peeved that I spent $100 on refrigerant trying to diagnose it, but stuff happens.
    j2rossit and talismandave like this.

Much to my delight and surprise, the vendor acknowledged that they had a bad batch of shaft seals and I must have gotten one of them. They're sending me another compressor and a pre-paid shipping label to send the old one back. I'm a little peeved that I spent $100 on refrigerant trying to diagnose it, but stuff happens.
    $100!?

Quote Originally Posted by jamespowers View Post
    $100!?
    Yeah, $10 a can. I've put at least 10 in it trying to keep it charged up. At first it was a slow leak, but now it leaks out overnight so I don't waste my time or $$ anymore.

Yeah, $10 a can. I've put at least 10 in it trying to keep it charged up. At first it was a slow leak, but now it leaks out overnight so I don't waste my time or $$ anymore.
    Definitely a good idea to put away the shovel and quit digging that money pit.
    Oh and I forgot to mention that I am glad you are getting a new one without any wrangling over defects. :clap:

The only bright side is that I don't have to evacuate the system to replace the compressor. It's self-evacuating.

The only bright side is that I don't have to evacuate the system to replace the compressor. It's self-evacuating.
    Well, at least you don't have to pay for labor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.