Starter Grinding
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Starter Grinding in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Check out the video. I've had this problem ever since I changed the flexplate last year. Before changing the flexplate, ...
    csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Starter Grinding

Check out the video. I've had this problem ever since I changed the flexplate last year. Before changing the flexplate, it sounded funny but started good each time. After changing, it does all kind of stuff. I took a video last year and posted on another forum but didnt get any results. I've changed the starter twice and both times, the starter nose cracked on the first start. I can put my old starter on(the one on the car now and in the video) and it will crank funny but it wont break. I've shimmed this starter in and out to every possible position but nothing changes. Its driving me crazy and its been going on for so long, I dont even get embarrassed anymore. HELP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCUglkXAoec

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tsgrpr97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 74 Coupe DeVille, 99 DeVille D'Elegance (diamond white)
    How are you shimming? You should disconnect the motor from the solenoid, so it throws the pinion out but doesn't crank. When the gears are meshed there should be just enough clearance between the teeth to fit a straightened paper clip. Even a tiny little bit more or less and you'll be breaking the nose on the starter or busting teeth off of the flexplate.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: Starter Grinding

Cadillac powered Cadillac starters do not use shims. The engines are built to tighter tolerances than other brands.

The rear starter bracket must be in place and connected properly or starters will continue to break.

There's more info on the bracket on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ape Man View Post
    Cadillac powered Cadillac starters do not use shims.
    I wasn't aware of that. Learn something new every day I guess

I was shimming correctly but didnt have the rear bracket for a long time. I recently got the bracket and it didnt make a difference.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Make a close inspection of your starter nose housing. Pull the nose off and check the bushing, I have seen these starters wear through the bushing and the starter shaft still spin on the aluminum housing material. Look at the teeth on the front of the flywheel. Rounded or edged, your pinion isn't setting deep enough. Is the pinion hitting the face of the flywheel? There should be a thrust washer on your starter shaft. If missing your pinion may be traveling too far. From your video, this appears to be the case. Any minor cracks in the starter nose are suspect. These Cadillac noses are lacking in support material and the high torque of the starter will test the nose housing. Yes, and that little strap on the back of the motor, that Ape Man mentioned, is a very important piece often thrown out for the extra twenty minutes it may take to re-install it. It helps to limit the flexing of the unit.

One start without the bracket is enough to crack the nose.

Also make sure distributor mechanical advance isn't binding. Advanced timing when trying to start a hot engine is murder.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

I had this same problem on a BBC. Turned out the block was cracked where the starter mounted. Destroyed a few starters before figuring out my problem.

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

Advanced timing when trying to start a hot engine is murder.
    Very True! I wish I wouldn't have learned that lesson the hard way. I broke the block by the starter on my camaro from too advanced timing.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

For the life of me I would have never imagined that a starter might be culprit to a engine block breaking ,something new on my side as well

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

Not true. They do use shims. They use 1 shim. If you look in a 77 Cadillac manual it calls for 1 shim.

Cadillac powered Cadillac starters do not use shims. The engines are built to tighter tolerances than other brands.

The rear starter bracket must be in place and connected properly or starters will continue to break.

There's more info on the bracket on this site.

I'll have to check the block for cracks. After all the shimming I've done, it does the best without any shims. Did y'all notice in the video at :55, the starter actually stopped mid spin and stayed engaged to the flexplate. It does it again at about 1:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood472 View Post
    Not true. They do use shims. They use 1 shim. If you look in a 77 Cadillac manual it calls for 1 shim.
    See I was assuming it would. I wouldn't expect any on a modern powerplant but from the 70s yeah. I've never had reason to check my coupe but my buick 455 had a rear bracket and it needed to be shimmed. Would the starters be shared across brands or would the 472/500 have its own?

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood472 View Post
    Who published that manual?

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

GM used two basic motors, but there were some variations set in the internal winding configurations. The 1969 Pontiac SM and the Chebby manuals have illustrations of the various windings and descriptions of their applications. Cadillac did not have this because they only used the high torque starter for their single engine application. The Cadillac starter nose housing was shared with the Chebby big block engines, which also used the high torque starter. Pontiac, and if I recall correctly, Buick, mount on the opposite side of the engine block. These starters, especially the Pontiac, have to be shimmed. The depth of the pinion gear tooth into the flexplate ring gear has to be checked for proper alignment. To do this, I pull off the nose and remove the plunger lever so the pinion moves freely on the starter motor shaft, then replace the nose housing. Remount the starter and check the pinion to ring gear depth. A paper clip wire is the proper thickness to use as a gauge, about .018 inch. The wire should fit into the space at the bottom of the ring gear tooth and the top face of the pinion gear. When you do this, check the plunger lever bosses for wear. If the bosses are flattened out, the throw will be lacking. Also check the return spring tension. If the spring has been overheated or fatigued, the pinion will hang on a driven ring gear and not return as it should. This may seem like a lot to do for a starter, but for proper operation and for long term operation it is required.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.