Odomoter glitching out on 94 Fleetwood
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Odomoter glitching out on 94 Fleetwood in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok, so the digital odometer is glitching out on my 94 Fleetwood. Usually when I start the car, it's fine. ...
    Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

Odomoter glitching out on 94 Fleetwood

Ok, so the digital odometer is glitching out on my 94 Fleetwood. Usually when I start the car, it's fine. Then, as I hit bumps, it'll alternate between the correct reading, "Error" "Errorrorr", "Err", 535,435 (or some other crazy high mileage number in the 500k's..), 000000 (yay! Instant new car!.. Oh wait..), and back and forth..

Everything else is fine - the trip is rock solid, speedo and fuel guage are fine. Having pulled apart another cluster and applying power (and eventually frying it. Doh!), I know that the three sections are independent of each other, so I'm not too worried. But it's bugging the hell out of me.

Question is, has anyone experienced this and fixed this themselves? I'm hoping it's a matter of one of the contacts of the VFD display having lifted or cracked and it's a matter of re-soldering it all for that particular display. I'm really hoping it's not the controller chips, or whatever chip it is that's retaining the mileage info in memory.

Before any says "Refer to the FSM".. this is the one area it's of no use - all it says is "Send out for service" for any issues regarding the cluster itself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacPimpinNOLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood 1968 coupe DeVille

Re: Odomoter glitching out on 94 Fleetwood

i havent had that problem thankfully, but most ppl experiance the whole cluster going off and coming back on. that does sound like a loose connection or solder joint that failed but I dont think anyone has figured it out yet

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

I have had a few of these act up on me.. They just seam to get worse as time goes by.. I just find another in the junk yard and put it in.. If your lucky it could have mileage close to your can .. I know to be legal in my home you must attach the old mileage and the mileage of the new speedometer on the inside of the drivers door.. But these cars are so old who cares...I would not pay more than $35 at the junkyard.. That's down here in Massachusetts, up there in Canada who knows what they want...

Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

Thanks guys.

Prices up here for Fleetwood parts are through the roof - when you can find them. Most junk yards in my area won't even take a car like a Fleetwood or Caprice. Apparently, when they upgraded their crushes these cars don't fit anymore, and when they get them in they get sent back out to yards that can handle them. None of which are close. At least that's the story my main yard told me.

No matter, I do have another cluster coming to me from a member here, but I wanted to keep it as a backup. Oh well.. When it gets here I'll pull this one, look at the solder joints, re-solder as necessary, and take it from there.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

I've never heard of the problem of the entire dash going out, when there's a problem it's always just chunks of it and it's usually the odometer and trip odometer. My 91 has been like that for the last 10 years and has never gotten any worse. Ive got a spare I'm going to get someone to look at sometime to see how to fix it.

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

Years ago I had a 90 or 91 Fleetwood that did the same thing. I have no idea if the set up for the 94 is the same, but I will tell you what fixed mine. I was trying to sell the car, and obviously with that problem it was impossible. In desperation, I went to a local mechanic, and he told me that where the speedo cable went into the transmission, sometimes it would be loose or get dirt in it. He took it off, cleaned it, hooked it back up, and it worked fine. An extremely easy DIY fix, it would take about 10 minutes. If the setup is the same, start there. Hopefully it is. Good luck.

its not the same as the new fleetwoods use a electronic pickup for a speedomenter..mines clean as i rebuilt the trans a while back and occasionaly, well maybe 3 times in about 4 years my whole cluster will go black and then come right back on and no issues after that.

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

Is there any common thread as to why it happens? When the car reaches certain miles, etc? My 93 Fleetwood has around 90,000 miles, and not one time has it ever done anything like this

nope, i just turned 43k on mine and its done it 3 times, my friend has 60k on his and said he experiances it quite often...could do it at idol or while driving

Slow and docile is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1983 Coupe Deville

As some users posted above, this looks like a loose contact or something wrong with the electric supply to the cluster.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 78 Coupe View Post
    Years ago I had a 90 or 91 Fleetwood that did the same thing. I have no idea if the set up for the 94 is the same, but I will tell you what fixed mine. I was trying to sell the car, and obviously with that problem it was impossible. In desperation, I went to a local mechanic, and he told me that where the speedo cable went into the transmission, sometimes it would be loose or get dirt in it. He took it off, cleaned it, hooked it back up, and it worked fine. An extremely easy DIY fix, it would take about 10 minutes. If the setup is the same, start there. Hopefully it is. Good luck.
    There's no way that would cause the odometer display to go screwy. It would only only cause the speedometer to not work properly.
    90-96 all use the same setup.

charley95 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 91 brougham

Quote Originally Posted by Poda View Post
    Ok, so the digital odometer is glitching out on my 94 Fleetwood. Usually when I start the car, it's fine. Then, as I hit bumps, it'll alternate between the correct reading, "Error" "Errorrorr", "Err", 535,435 (or some other crazy high mileage number in the 500k's..), 000000 (yay! Instant new car!.. Oh wait..), and back and forth..

Everything else is fine - the trip is rock solid, speedo and fuel guage are fine. Having pulled apart another cluster and applying power (and eventually frying it. Doh!), I know that the three sections are independent of each other, so I'm not too worried. But it's bugging the hell out of me.

Question is, has anyone experienced this and fixed this themselves? I'm hoping it's a matter of one of the contacts of the VFD display having lifted or cracked and it's a matter of re-soldering it all for that particular display. I'm really hoping it's not the controller chips, or whatever chip it is that's retaining the mileage info in memory.

Before any says "Refer to the FSM".. this is the one area it's of no use - all it says is "Send out for service" for any issues regarding the cluster itself.
    Had mine rebuilt for $100 from a guy on e-bay and it works great. Search the bay for the guy who rebuilds these. He did a great job and turn around time was fast.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.