1993 Fleetwood Engine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Stingroo
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1993 Fleetwood Engine in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys i'm new to this site and i just came and ran through a lot of posts/threads hoping to ...
    Chris122488m is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac fleetwood

Unhappy 1993 Fleetwood Engine

Hey guys i'm new to this site and i just came and ran through a lot of posts/threads hoping to find a answer about my car but i did not. i just bought myself a 93 fleetwood with 100,XXX miles and my car won't start. i need help with any suggestions who may know what might be wrong with it. if anyone can tell me anything about what to repair/change please tell me and i will. i love this car and i always wanted one since i was younger. i towed it to my warehouse to store it, finally bought a brand new battery. once i switched it, a week later i cranked up my car but the engine service light came on another week later i went to start my car to go change the oil at the shop but i was not able to start/run my car. it would kinda crank for a second but then it would just die it won't even start. i thought the battery died because i was only starting the car once a week but it was not the battery. i don't know whats wrong. i'm do not know much about cars either so sorry i need help. thanks in advance too anyone that would look out for me with any info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    When you put the key to run, but do not start the car, do you hear a humming noise?

Re: 1993 Fleetwood Engine

No i do not. the car doesn't make a sound besides a weak crank. i even tried cranking my car up with one of those battery chargers plugged on it.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Starter?

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

What he's getting at is do you hear the fuel pump? Could be it doesn't have any fuel pressure. A bad distributor can also cause a no start issue, so can the HEI.

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    What he's getting at is do you hear the fuel pump? Could be it doesn't have any fuel pressure. A bad distributor can also cause a no start issue, so can the HEI.
    okay so i should replace the distributor or the start as stated above. i'm sorry like i said i don't much but what does HEI mean? also to how much would all of these things cost for me to invest for my car. thanks guys for replying back so quickly.

----------

i will check these things out and i will let you guys know if the problem is fixed.

Remove the air cleaner so you can look down the throttle body. Have someone turn the key while you look at the throttle body. Do you see 2 mists of fuel ? If not, chances are your fuel pump is out (or less likely, the fuel pump fuse is blown)

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Whoa whoa whoa. Hold up. Don't go throwing parts at it yet.

Go lay under the back of the car, have someone turn the key on but not try to start it. You should hear the fuel pump start to prime. If you hear the pump make noise, THEN go under the hood, remove the air cleaner, and check for fuel spray at the injectors.

Remember, engines are simple: air, spark, fuel. One of those 3 things is missing.
    Cadillacboy and Cadillacboy like this.

okay i finally got my day off and im here at the warehouse but it seems like i'm having a eletrical problem. i put the key in the ignition but no lights come on. i don't know if it might be the alarm... how do i find the kill switch for it? i did buy a new battery but i'm not sure so i will get a new battery today to switch it and see if it cranks up

kill switch? theres no kill switch for the factory alarm. you need the key fob (if in fact your car has a factory alarm)

sorry Kevin i have these so called mechanics around here that i do not trust telling me oh its the alarm i need to find the kill switch but i was like these guys don't know what they are talking about but i figure if it was true i should ask here. i removed the air cleaner and its good. battery guy is on his way now and i notice they gave me a MT-78 700 battery is this battery to weak for my car?

----------

okay so i just replaced the new battery to a brand new one and the car started up just perfectly fine. i'm so happy but most of all thank you all who came here to help me i really thought something was wrong with the engine. if its not to much to ask from you guys since you know so much more than i do what would you guys recommend for to change in my engine to brand new because this is my number one car and i do want to fix every thing like new so my car can last longer.

i also want to let everyone know i think my car alarm is way to sensitive because i just locked my car an when i came back to test it i just tried to open the passenger door and boom the horn started what can i do to fix this? i do believe its the factory alarm

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by Chris122488m View Post
    sorry Kevin i have these so called mechanics around here that i do not trust telling me oh its the alarm i need to find the kill switch but i was like these guys don't know what they are talking about but i figure if it was true i should ask here. i removed the air cleaner and its good. battery guy is on his way now and i notice they gave me a MT-78 700 battery is this battery to weak for my car?

----------

okay so i just replaced the new battery to a brand new one and the car started up just perfectly fine. i'm so happy but most of all thank you all who came here to help me i really thought something was wrong with the engine. if its not to much to ask from you guys since you know so much more than i do what would you guys recommend for to change in my engine to brand new because this is my number one car and i do want to fix every thing like new so my car can last longer.

i also want to let everyone know i think my car alarm is way to sensitive because i just locked my car an when i came back to test it i just tried to open the passenger door and boom the horn started what can i do to fix this? i do believe its the factory alarm

There's nothing to change engine wise except for the normal tune up stuff if it's needed. Parts either work or they don't. If you really want to be sure of things find a good mechanic and have them look it over and they'll be able to tell you if anything needs replacing or not.

For the alarm it disables when you unlock the doors. How did you open the passenger door? If you were in the car, hit the power lock button and closed the door and then opened the door from the inside the alarm will go off. If you locked the car and the passenger door didn't lock and you opened it without first unlocking the car the alarm will go off. If you hit ulock on the remote, or you turned the key in one of the locks the alarm should have shut off and the horn shouldn't have gone off.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Sounds like something might be draining the battery, too.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    Sounds like something might be draining the battery, too.
    Your right turbojimmp. i found out my car alarm would go off randomly without even touching the car. i don't know if its being sensitive to loud sounds. i do remember one day i parked the car in the werehouse and while i dropped the garage door to close it the alarm went off.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.