Odd driving experience with 94 Fleetwood Brougham - buy or no buy? Please help asap:)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 6 Post By jayoldschool
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Odd driving experience with 94 Fleetwood Brougham - buy or no buy? Please help asap:) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, i am looking at a '94 fleetwood brougham with +125.000 miles on it. Test drive was kinda odd. ...
    DReffects is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sixty Special 4.9l V8, '01 Sebring Convertible, '13 300C

Odd driving experience with 94 Fleetwood Brougham - buy or no buy? Please help asap:)

Hey guys,

i am looking at a '94 fleetwood brougham with +125.000 miles on it. Test drive was kinda odd. When steering left or right to go around corners there was a very wobbly shifty kinda feel. My GF told me that the ride in the back was sort of jumpy when going around corners. I've noticed some odd vehicle movement from the outside when following the car, the rear end sort of hopped^^

I know that my description isn't the best or most technical one, it just felt like driving over a large pile of jellow and the car made a shakey movement...

Dealer said "this is the american way to drive".... oh yes. Also the explained that the broken heated front seat is in fact a feature. The High / Low settings are for COOLED seats where air would come from the rear. uhm^^ bullcrap.

Otherwise the car is in amazing condition - the interiour is in fact like new. i know that this term is being used for every other crappy car but in this fleetwood it fits. i really wonder how the drivers seat can be in THIS GOOD condition with that kinda mileage... Paint is pretty decent to, only a few minor dents, no dings. the usually black (car's black on the outside and inside!) element below the grille between the bumper is silver though. dealer explained that the car was available with that sort of option, for me it looks like the part was replaced with a silver one from another fleetwood. does not look bad, but makes me wonder...

Shifting was ok but felt a bit hesitant, but that could just be me. AC and other stuff worked.

What are your thoughts on the wobbly shifty shakey thing? Is that a broken suspension arm, stabilisator or something else?

THanks you guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Re: Odd driving experience with 94 Fleetwood Brougham - buy or no buy? Please help as

It sounds like worn out bushings. Not uncommon for a car this age.
    It also sounds like this salesman will answer any question with authority whether he knows the answer or not.

I've never heard of a "silver bumper top" option on these. It doesn't look bad, though.

So to answer your question: No, this is not normal behavior for an American car. If you can, I would take it to a suspension shop for an estimate to see what you are getting into.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: Odd driving experience with 94 Fleetwood Brougham - buy or no buy? Please help as

The reaction you describe suggests a crack in the frame or possibly a separated trailing arm mount. It sounds, remotely, like this car has been in an accident and they have pieced it back together. Perhaps they could provide you with documented history on the car, like CarFax. If the car has the leather seats, the driver seat may still look good at 125K. You should take a look underneath to determine any problems with the rear section of this car.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

The front bumper filler would have been black from the factory. Check the Carfax for accidents (but may not be reported, though).

I think that a cracked frame or broken suspension mount is unlikely. I would guess bad shocks, and worn steering components. Get it to a trusted mechanic, pay 50 bucks for him to go over it and give you a list of what it needs. He will also be able to look at the frame/bumper mounts/etc to see if it has been hit. Use that to negotiate with the dealer. If they won't allow you to get it inspected by your guy, say goodbye.

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Buick Wildcat Convertible 455 4bbl

Definitely not normal and it sounds like the salesman is not to be trusted (that includes him claiming the car is safe) get it checked yourself or walk away. My car had a lot less miles when I got it but I still had a fair amount of suspention/steering stuff to address. Just the reality of age and the stupid people at jiffy lubes not realizing/caring that these cars have grease nipples and need to be lubed.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

I know you can't win handling competition in these last real super cool Caddies but what you described sounded like me there is something wrong with that particular car . We had to replace a couple of suspension components in our dad's car to improve riding quality and yes it did help a lot but I still prefer W221 MB S Class in riding quality wise lol

thanks for the swift feedback, very helpful guys! oh man that's a shame... the leather is so perfect, never seen a fleetwood in THIS good condition.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by j2rossit View Post
    Definitely not normal and it sounds like the salesman is not to be trusted (that includes him claiming the car is safe) get it checked yourself or walk away. My car had a lot less miles when I got it but I still had a fair amount of suspention/steering stuff to address. Just the reality of age and the stupid people at jiffy lubes not realizing/caring that these cars have grease nipples and need to be lubed.
    You do not have to add "stupid" when you talk about jiffy lubes...just say "people at jiffy lubes" .

Not all the people at Jiffy lubes are stupid, and some of them do know to look for grease points, it seems that being "politically correct" could be construed as being more insulting . It's just a gamble as to who you get. Some nasty experiences (including one where they forgot to put oil back in the car) has soured my opinion of those places.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by j2rossit View Post
    Not all the people at Jiffy lubes are stupid, and some of them do know to look for grease points, it seems that being "politically correct" could be construed as being more insulting . It's just a gamble as to who you get. Some nasty experiences (including one where they forgot to put oil back in the car) has soured my opinion of those places.
    Or the messed up drain bolts
    Never imagined there were so many ways to mess up a drain bolt.
    I have read that they can mess one up so bad it destroys the oil pan.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

So, are you going to get it inspected? It's an old car, they always need something. Don't let that scare you away...

Thanks for the help guys, unfortunately the car (or more appropriately the seller) and I did not work out

That's too bad, but good job not letting your desire for the car cloud your judgement.

silverfox103 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood & 07 CTS, 94 Roadmaster Wgn & 94 Caprice Wgn

There's a better one around the corner.

Tom

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.