Master cylinder leaking at booster gasket. Could my brakes fail suddenly as a result? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Master cylinder leaking at booster gasket. Could my brakes fail suddenly as a result? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by jayoldschool E brakes were REALLY important back in the single res MC days (pre-67). I had power ...
    jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Re: Master cylinder leaking at booster gasket. Could my brakes fail suddenly as a res

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    E brakes were REALLY important back in the single res MC days (pre-67).
    I had power brakes on the 55. They are still important even today if your brakes go out.

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Re: Master cylinder leaking at booster gasket. Could my brakes fail suddenly as a res

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to move some things around & get it fixed before I leave, there's a local shop that I trust (as much as any shop) here in town that I had my alignment done at. They were worried about finding parts, but I lucked out & found a Cardone master/booster combo & already picked it up. Going in tomorrow.
    jamespowers and jamespowers like this.

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Good call, Ben.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by jamespowers View Post
    The emergency brake cable would be the first thing I would fix if mine broke. I saved myself a few times with different cars due to them. One being a 55 Chevy and another a 57 Chevy. No brakes, no problem----we have a hand brake. You have to be really coordinated to do this for long distances though.
    Well, it's another one of those limo-specific things. The 5-foot extension installed by the coach builder snapped. I need a custom cable made up. I bought some cable and random fittings as a temporary fix but haven't had time to mess with it.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by jamespowers View Post
    Why is all this reminding me of the scenes in Fletch Lives where his 59 Cadillac doesn't have brakes so he ends up running into things to stop? Parking meters for instance:
    Attachment 113449
    Back in the 80s I had a beater '76 CDV. Insurance was due to run out and I was putting a nice '77CDV back on the road and the car was going to be an engine donor. I used to slam into the dumpster at work every day on the way in. No brakes needed.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

I had to laugh at turbojimmy's description of his experience. Those truck ramps are filled with loose gravel and the vehicle that goes into one is supposed to sink into the gravel to stop it. It then has to be towed out of the trap by wreckers. I've used snow banks to stop some of my cars when needing emergency measures. A friend once used those old pillar type guard rails. They do a lot of damage to the car.

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

When the brakes failed on my 87 Caprice (line broke before the prop valve), I used a Tercel to stop. I was going about 45, the Tercel was not. It wasn't pretty for the Tercel.
    Benzilla and Benzilla like this.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    Well, it's another one of those limo-specific things. The 5-foot extension installed by the coach builder snapped. I need a custom cable made up. I bought some cable and random fittings as a temporary fix but haven't had time to mess with it.
    Gee, if you were out here I would have a guy I know make you one. He is at a place called California Push Pull. He would be able to knock one out in about twenty minutes.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by The Ape Man View Post
    Back in the 80s I had a beater '76 CDV. Insurance was due to run out and I was putting a nice '77CDV back on the road and the car was going to be an engine donor. I used to slam into the dumpster at work every day on the way in. No brakes needed.
    A friend of mine stopped his Mustang with fifty feet of fence, a VW bug and ultimately a telephone pole when he dropped the linkage one time. He only got a cut on his arm doing all that. The VW lost its rear end.

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Done. My shop said it was a PITA to get it changed, but that did it pretty fast. I can tell a difference in braking already, they're more springy & responsive. (I still think the pedal could start grabbing higher, but I think ApeMan on here said that was a design flaw of sorts in '79?) Also, I didn't realize how bad my pedal return was until the new master cylinder & power booster... Now the pedal almost chases my foot back up, before there was a good delay, not enough to catch my attention, but it wasn't snappy. Glad to cross that off the list! I'll have to link back to this when I get the consolidated thread for my Phaeton started.

72DeVilleCT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 72 Coupe D'Ville

I the same thing, it went on for some time but the brakes did fail, and fail BIG! I would fix this ASAP. No breaks in a Cadillac is literally a runaway train.

83 Fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1983 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

I have blown the brake lines on my caddy and glad it happened at my ex-wife's house when it did, and not on the highway. The only brakes I had left was the e-brake and it was interesting loading the car onto the trailer to tow it to say the least.

Get it fixed asap would be my recommendation

James

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.