12 bolt to 10 bolt swap with OD
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 12 bolt to 10 bolt swap with OD in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hello I have a 386/th400 12 bolt 81 Fleetwood. the rear suspension is very worn out and the axles are ...
    81Brownie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 81 Fleetwood Brougham D Elegance

12 bolt to 10 bolt swap with OD

hello
    I have a 386/th400 12 bolt 81 Fleetwood.
    the rear suspension is very worn out and the axles are worn. it dogtracks bad!
    Im going to rebuild the old 12 bolt, so this will be a temporary rear end.
    yea I know im going with something weaker but I want to get the most out of the 368 while I find a 500 to touch up. plus maybe ill find a nice 12 bolt there waiting for me.

this weekend im going to the junkyard. I plan on getting the 10 bolt axle, driveshaft, th200 Overdrive trans, control arms and maybe the leveling shocks. I found a 65k mile flipped 85 with the 4.1 L and that's what im planning to attack soon.

this SHOULD all bolt up nice and easy right everyone? I prefer the OG driveline and it will be rebuilt and installed in the future. this is just temporary! im hoping I don't need to cut up anything in the car since I will be installing a 500 and everything else back in there.

well, im hoping to end up with a 368/OD Caddy that drives straight and gives me better MPGs! plus I can get all this for about 150-180 bucks easily! any help would be appreciated

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: 12 bolt to 10 bolt swap with OD

Don't forget that you need to run a TV cable for the OD trans. Also, you need to do some math. 4100 cars came with 3.42 gears. Even with OD, you might actually have higher cruise RPM than your TH400 combo. I forget what the stock gears in the 81 368 is (I have one, but it is mid/low 2.xx).

It's a lot easier to do a set of axles/bearings and control arm bushings than a rear swap and a custom trans swap... especially for two marginal pieces (the weak 200-4R/7.5" Chev rear)

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    I would not put a stock 200r4 behind a caddy big block. The torque of the engine will most likely destroy it.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: 12 bolt to 10 bolt swap with OD

The overdrive will land up being almost exactly the same as the 2.41:1 you are removing : )

May get some additional economy from the lockup if it is working.

One needs to have all their ducks in a row to run a 200-4R behind any torque. In the end it might be better to do this another way.

the axle itself should not be causing the car to track as you say. Sounds like seriously bent or even broken trailing arms and/or frame component problems.

Spray that thang with brake fluid or yer favorite penetrating oil ahead of work. The bolts will thank you on the way out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.