Trunk pull down question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Trunk pull down question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; How can i get my trunk to close without using the pull down motor? I want to just close it ...
    96LT1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

Trunk pull down question

How can i get my trunk to close without using the pull down motor? I want to just close it and have it be flush where it should be, can i replace it with a latch from a car that didnt come with a pull down motor?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Unplug it in the down position. Push the little lever until it goes down and then unplug it? Maybe that will work. The cars without it have a piece just welded on I think.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: Trunk pull down question

Easiest way to keep it down is just unplug it and it'll work like normal. If it's broken and it won't go down by itself take it apart and twist it down by hand.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Why not fix it so it works properly? The part that usually breaks is (the paddle switch) is only $20. Otherwise, to get it in the same, flush position as the pulldown motor would have done you would have to slam it pretty hard every time.

Angry Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

Every one that I unplugged so far has to have been slammed several times to get it to shut right. It's really annoying, but I've never been motivated enough to fix them properly either.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Matt View Post
    Every one that I unplugged so far has to have been slammed several times to get it to shut right. It's really annoying, but I've never been motivated enough to fix them properly either.
    Takes $20 and 5 minutes.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I forgot about that, you do have to slam it hard but you can always adjust the piece on the trunk lid and slide it down a little.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

It can be adjusted to close easily. My Fleetwood actually doesn't close all the way because I didn't screw it down far enough. I plan to tackle that issue this summer sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    It can be adjusted to close easily. My Fleetwood actually doesn't close all the way because I didn't screw it down far enough. I plan to tackle that issue this summer sometime.
    Exactly. It can be adjusted to close easily, but easily is not as tightly as the pulldown motor would normally work. I've messed with a lot of them and the best solution is to make it work like stock. The parts are cheap and if it worked for 20-something years, fix it right and it will work for 20-something years more.

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

I was kind of disappointed when i discovered that my CDV is one of the rare cars that came without this option! ( at least i think it's rare, its the only big Cadillac i've personally seen without it) It's one less thing to break, but it always gets ooohs and ahhhs from people when you show them that a 37 year old car closes ANYTHING on it's own!
    bigm57ict and bigm57ict like this.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by YoshiMan
    I was kind of disappointed when i discovered that my CDV is one of the rare cars that came without this option! ( at least i think it's rare, its the only big Cadillac i've personally seen without it) It's one less thing to break, but it always gets ooohs and ahhhs from people when you show them that a 37 year old car closes ANYTHING on it's own!
    My caddy doesn't have it....I figure that's a good thing....one less thing to break.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

I don't have to slam mine at all. As soon as it latches, closes nice and smooth. So does the 78, the 79 doesn't have it..
    To answer question
    Have it closed first, disconnect battery, then open trunk, disconnect the plug, close trunk and reconnect battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Matt View Post
    That's the way my '96 and '94 were. When it works, you can hear the decklid creak when that motor pulls it down - it pulls down hard. Both of them leaked, too, when the pulldown was inop. It's so easy to fix I don't know why people go through the hassle of unplugging them and manually winding them to an optimal point. If you've eliminated potential issue of the wiring at the trunk hinge, it's probably the paddle switch. It literally takes 5 minutes to change. Part number 16629927.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    It's so easy to fix I don't know why people go through the hassle of unplugging them and manually winding them to an optimal point.
    Because they usually break at the worst time so you have to do that to get your trunk closed, then since you can close it it's not a very big priority to fix.

Vladillac Khrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Brougham

my grandfather would slam the trunk on his '02 Town car, now the trunk pull down no longer works (either by slamming or he disconnected it) but ever once in a great while the trunk will open while driving.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.