Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What is it?

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  MoistCabbage 
#1 ·
I'm trying to work out what this actually is before I buy it:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130853542359

Looks like a Sedan Deville that should have a HT4100 but the dealer says its a 368... but according to all my research this was only available in the limo in 84.

The Engine Number is: 6AC352508

The VIN is: 6D69AC352508 (too short I know, but that's what's under the windscreen?)

If anyone can confirm this is a 368 I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks

#2 ·
I think you're right about the 368 not coming stock in 84, but it might not be the original engine. It is simple if you can get better pics, or check it out in person. Just look for the bulges at the front of the valve covers.
Also try to get the car on a lift, or lay down and see what transmission is in there. This is a good site that shows you how to identify them.
http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/garage-shop-reference-Transmission-Identification.asp

You want to look for a Turbo- 400.

Edit: By looking closer I can see that the distributor is in the front which would lead me to believe you have a 368 in there. Just make sure there is a Turbo 400, and not the 200. Also I wonder if they swapped the differential when they converted it.

#3 ·
Problem is the car is 800 miles away! so it's a bit of a pig in a poke...

There is a photo of the engine bay online and I was kinda hoping someone could look at it and say that's definitely an HT4100 or a 368.

The other thing is that it could be a 1980, 81, 82 or 84 model as I can't tell them apart, dealer says its an 84 but then again he says it's a FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM which I doubt given the Sedan Devllie badges on it... I'm sure there's differences like in the 1970's models.

Thanks

#4 · (Edited)
I am sure that is a 368 engine, not the 4100. Just look at the blue valve covers and distributor in the front. The car would have to be a 1981 for the engine to be stock, otherwise you have a conversion on your hands.
Edit: I can also see a bit of a hump going on with the valve cover too. Looks like a 368.

Also look at the A/C Controls, they are not digital. I did some research and came across this, "New standard Electronic Climate Control offered digital accuracy." Strange. My advice is wait until the rest of the forum members check it out. They have a great deal of knowledge and are very helpful.

Edit:
The vin looks like it is from a 1980 Deville, with a 368. Not an 84, not a brougham, also looking at the seats not a D'elegance. That's 3 strikes, I wouldn't trust anything else the guy says about the car.
But..It does look like it is good shape.

#6 ·
You have a 1980 Sedan deville equipped with the stock original 368 (other wise the engine code wouldn't match the vin).
There appears to have been some work done on it (the antenna looks like it's been moved from the front passenger fender to the rear driver's side quarter panel). I'm wonder if the door has been replaced with one from an 84 and the seller is reading the door sticker for year and model (I can't remember if 84 has the door sticker or not).

----------

Your vin should read 6D696AC352508. It was the engine code that filled in the missing number.

vin is:
6=cadillac
D=Deville
69=4 door
6=368 engine
A=1980
C=South Gate California
rest=individual car index number

----------

I just tried the vin in a decoder and it came up with nothing. There is definitely something fishy with this car.

If I were you I'd try and get someone you know who lives closer to swing by and make sure there really is a car for sale and not an e-bay scam.

#12 ·
It looks like a 1980 Sedan deVille d'Elegance. That steering wheel style was used in 1979 and 1980 models only, the 6.0/368 was standard in 1980, car looks like a stock setup factory made for export.

It is always interesting to see the export models with right hand drive, seems so odd, probably what the British think when they see all the left hand drive Rolls-Royce and Bentley cars here in the U.S.

Good luck!

#13 ·
Thanks again, it's the same for us as it looks so funny (odd) when we see left-hand drive cars over here, especially these days as the Government has relaxed the rules so we can now drive left-hand drive cars in most Australian states - so long as they are over 30 years old! They are all over the place these days - Years ago I lived in Irvington NY and used to love driving my early 80's Sedan Deville into Manhattan everyday... brings back great memories of the days before 9/11...

#14 ·
My cousin's girlfriend lives in Australia, she stayed with him in Boston for 3 months. He lives next door to me, and works nights. She was bored during the day, so I spent a lot of time with her. For the first month, every time we walked up to the car, she would walk up to the drivers door instead of the passengers door. She'd get pissed and then laugh every time. It was hilarious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.