BIG problem!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, BIG problem! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; today i got home from school, ate dinner and then went skiing at the local ski resort at about 5 ...
    pimpin88 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 STS, 92 Roadmaster, 01 SLS-sold, 88 Brougham-crushed

Angry BIG problem!

today i got home from school, ate dinner and then went skiing at the local ski resort at about 5 o'clock. went skiing and when i was done about 4 hours later, went back to the car and got in. pumped the gas twice and turned the key. it fired right up like usual. i started driving out of the parking lot and when i let off of the gas the car stalled out. the temp is about 5 degrees right now. tried to start it again and it readily turned over for about 7 seconds until the battery died. then i called the parents. my dad came out and tried to jump me, but to no avail. it would turn over a bunch, but would not catch. ended up calling AAA and having them tow the car to my house. any ideas where i should start. my thoughts were to park the car in the garage for the night, let it charge, and try starting it tomorrow. i know the battery is dead, but my other guess is that the fuel line may have frozen up. i have been getting gas from a gas station called Clark because it is cheaper than shell, but its probably bad gas. any other ideas on what may be causing this or what i could do to fix it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: BIG problem!

weak fuel pump? Alternator not charging the battery? (unless it died from too many attempts to start?) The fuel line could have froze but I drive in a lot colder and no freeze problems. Maybe moisture in gas that froze?

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

i had a similar problem with an old car i used to have. it was moisture in the gas. try buying this stuff called "Heet." it works real well in cold conditions. as for it starting and then dying, i have no idea.

BlackLac96 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 DTS; '04 Deville, '96 FWB(sold), '92 Coupe Deville(sold)

The frozen fuel line sounds like the culprit to me. The battery died fast due to the weather as well. Some tips in the winter are to keep your fuel tank full as much as possible and to also add gas line anti-freeze whenever the temp falls to freezing and below.

Quote Originally Posted by 93fleetwoodlowlow
    i had a similar problem with an old car i used to have. it was moisture in the gas. try buying this stuff called "Heet." it works real well in cold conditions. as for it starting and then dying, i have no idea.
    do you know where you could get the "Heet" stuff. i figure the reason it started then died was that it was still able to get some gas for a bit, it only ran for like 25 seconds, and then wasn't able to get anymore because there was ice in the fuel line.

blacklac96, thanks for the tips

what are the chances that it is a bad fuel pump, how often do these go bad, because it is 40 degrees in my garage and the car still won't start.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.