Help - 1980 Coupe deville hard top clean up
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Help - 1980 Coupe deville hard top clean up in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello forum members, I have a 1980 coupe deville that is currently at the body shop getting painted. My hard ...
    welhajjk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1980 cadillac coupe deville

Help - 1980 Coupe deville hard top clean up

Hello forum members,

I have a 1980 coupe deville that is currently at the body shop getting painted. My hard top is discolored and I am debating whether I should get it dyed or whether I should try cleaning it up myself first. Attached is a pic of the top. It might be a little hard to tell from the pic but it has this red-ish discoloration.

Can anyone make a recommendation based on the pic. Is it faded to the point of no return or can it be cleaned up with the right products? and what would those products be?

My top is in good condition other than the color. no rips/seams are good/no bubbles.

thanks
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Re: Help - 1980 Coupe deville hard top clean up

You can try those vinyl cleaners that are sold at parts store and follow there recommendations on the product. Use a soft bristle brush to get into the grain and clean with terry cloth towels. Or get a new top in the same correct color and grain from smsautofabrics.com just submit the year make model and trim code.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

That's not a "hard top", it's a vinyl top. Yes, it can be dyed, but it is not expensive to replace, and when you are getting the car painted is the right time to do it. Have the shop remove all the trim, take off the top, check to see if body work is needed around the trim/window area (rust often occurs here), and install a new top after the paint is done.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

I also think you should replace it, mainly to unsure there is no rust issues as mentioned. When I was looking to get mine done, the prices ranged from 300 to 700 to get it done. Maybe I should tear the vinyl off my blue car to see what its like and whats all involved.

thanks jay for clarifying "vinyl vs hard top".

I'm with u guys on replacing the top as its the proper thing to do. I was just hoping to keep the original top as is and just clean it up or dye it. I will try a vinyl cleaner but will most likely end up dying it for now. I'm sure after some years that will wear out and I will end ip having to replace the top.

I've read online of some people using mr clean magic eraser on vinyl to clean it up. anyone have tried anything like that?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Clean what up? It's worn and faded, not dirty.

Your new paint is going to make it look even worse. Replace it.

thanks for your help guys. will look into it

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

If you have stretched yourself too thin $ on the paint and are looking for a "get by" for a while solution I had good luck with just spray bomb clear satin to seal and bring color back to oxidized vinyl tops. Used to drive a lot of beaters in the 80's and most were 70s cars and almost all had bad vinyl tops!

If you really care about the car...replacement is the way to go.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.