1985 4-Door Brougham Fuel Injectors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1985 4-Door Brougham Fuel Injectors in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Fuel is not getting into the engine. We removed the injectors and when we turned the key fuel is making ...
    Justsomeguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

1985 4-Door Brougham Fuel Injectors

Fuel is not getting into the engine. We removed the injectors and when we turned the key fuel is making it TO the injectors, because it spilled out all over, but it stops there. With everything in place the car won't turn over, so the gas is making it to the injectors and no further.

Using a 6-12V test light we checked the power going to the injectors and found that the positives are always hot, but the ground which we were told is supposed to pulse does not come on at all. It was suggested that the current is less than 6V, so we need a smaller tester to see it and that it is in fact pulsing and that the problem is that the injectors are clogged from sitting for so long. But even if the current is under 6V shouldn't it have at least made the light come on dimly if there was any power?

So, seeing as I already know that the injectors need to be replaced if it IS pulsing and we just aren't seeing it, my question is this:

If we test it with a tester that can pick up smaller voltages and find out for sure that it is NOT pulsing, what could be causing this lack of pulsing?

Our first guess was the ECM, but everything else the ECM controls is working, so is it possible for just this one function to have stopped working or is it something else? We've already checked all visible wires under the hood and don't see any that appear torn, loose, or chewed.

We checked the fuse box under the steering wheel, but none of the fuses specifically say "Fuel injectors" despite the fact that everything else is labeled and I don't have a specific diagram for this exact model's fuse panel, so I'm not really sure which one to be checking.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can offer.

(On an unrelated note, I have gold painted keys. Is that standard issue? This is my first Cadillac)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: 1985 4-Door Brougham Fuel Injectors

Gold keys were optional. I would suggest picking up the Factory Service Manual for your car. It will have trouble shooting flow charts for the work you are trying to sort through, and can save you a lot of time. You can check all of your fuses without removing them in less than one minute by probing both sides with a DVOM set to beep for continuity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Cadilla...b407cc&vxp=mtr

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Gold keys were optional. I would suggest picking up the Factory Service Manual for your car. It will have trouble shooting flow charts for the work you are trying to sort through, and can save you a lot of time. You can check all of your fuses without removing them in less than one minute by probing both sides with a DVOM set to beep for continuity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Cadilla...b407cc&vxp=mtr
    Will that particular one work for mine even though mine is an 85, or was that just supposed to be an example of what I need?

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

Injector circuit is not in fuse panel, it is in the relay convenience center. There will be a 3 amp. fuse for each injector.....Are you getting any codes coming up on the DIC center??

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Sorry, yes, that one will work, but buy the 85 one, there will be examples on ebay.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

If both injectors have power for a test light the pair of 3 amp fuses should be OK. The ECM gets an ignition signal form the ignition module.

Trouble trees are best way to go.

Vladillac Khrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Brougham

It may be better to use a digital multimeter (around $20 at Radio Shack or hardware store or even cheaper if available at a pawn shop or more rarely a thrift shop), you can obtain accurate voltage readings and also I think I remember something about using a test light on a vehicle equipped with an ECM can possibly damage the ECM under certain circumstances unless the test light is rated as "computer safe".

Also buying a GM shop manual that covers my specific year model (91-92 Brougham) is one of the, if not most useful tool/accessory I ever purchased for this car, buying one sooner would have saved me a LOT of headaches, frustration, money and time. Plus in is almost infinitely more useful than the vague Haynes manual that is much thinner and covers all rear wheel drive Cadillacs from 1970-1993 (1993?) and I got mine used (it looked brand new when I received it) on amazon for around $20.

Sorry about the delayed reply, I was distracted on the road of life.

I ordered the manual but it'll be a while before it gets here.

I found the FI fuses in the relay panel(Was looking in the wrong place the whole time, d'oh) and replaced them all. I figure even if they weren't bad, the car has been sitting for a while so replacing them can't hurt.

I went ahead and rented the Noid Lite to test the fuel injector harnesses, and it blinked as it was supposed to meaning they are getting the correct power.

When I turn the car on I get every error message(No battery, no gas, etc. even though it has a battery and gas), but I can't actually START the car, so I can't tell if it's just doing the "you just turned me on so I'm testing the error lights" thing or if they are actually problems.

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Wildcat 'vert, 92 & 96 Roadmaster Wagons

have you taken a fuel pressure reading?

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

Do you know how to pull the codes from the climate control center????? That can steer you in the right direction. Can you hear the fuel pump running when you switch on the ignition????

He said that the injectors were getting fuel, so I'm guessing the pump is running. But I'm wondering if it isn't putting out as much pressure as the injectors need.

I was going to rent a fuel pressure gauge to get it tested, but they want $150 just to rent the thing, and all the car guys I know told me not to worry about it anyway because they were sure it wasn't a pressure issue(They all think the injectors are clogged from sitting so long with bad fuel in the tank).

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

The 2 injectors should spray as the engine is cranked over for a few seconds. This is an 85 rear wheel drive? The injectors receive power from the oil pressure switch, If no pressure is read by the ECM, the fuel pump shuts off. Check the harness at the oil pressure switch at the oil filter for being secure. The fuel pressure is less than 11 LB so a weak fuel pump or in tank filter screen clogged can lower it enough not to start.

The Brougham is RWD.

If the injectors is powered through the oil pressure switch, wouldn't it die if the pressure switch doesn't register any pressure? I know that it doesn't

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

A faulty harness or failed oil sender would allow a few seconds of spray while the engine cranks over then shuts them off. Do they spray while cranking or not? I just re read this thread and it appears this engine is not even cranking over, is that true? If just the idiot lights are coming on and the starter doesn't rotate the engine why are we focusing on fuel delivery?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.