70s Pollution
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 4 Post By jamespowers
  • 2 Post By 3dfx
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 70s Pollution in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; In reading about the failure of SB1224 last year (California bill to exempt 1980 and older vehicle from smog tests), ...
    ferrisworld is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Sedan Deville

70s Pollution

In reading about the failure of SB1224 last year (California bill to exempt 1980 and older vehicle from smog tests), I was reading that 1970s cars pollute the air way worse than any other cars. Not sure how true that really is, and I was wondering how Cadillacs stack up, especially the big block 368-500 cars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

smokuspollutus is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 70s Pollution

I have absolutely no idea whether or not a 472 pollutes any more than, say, a 460 Ford. But, Cadillac really did make a conscious effort in improving fuel economy throughout the 70's. As for all cars from that time polluting more than the 60's and prior, I'd call B.S. on that. Cats were required by '75 and the sale of new cars requiring leaded gas went out in that year, both of which helped things.

Attached is an image from my friend Dave on flickr.
    Attached Images

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

Anytime this debate on pollution and cars comes up I just have to think about all the diesel trucks on the road, and the 4-6 mpg nascar and sprint cars, and all the smoking belching heavy equipment thats out there, then I look at my old caddy that sits a lot of the time and say, fair dinkum.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by SafariOne View Post
    Anytime this debate on pollution and cars comes up I just have to think about all the diesel trucks on the road, and the 4-6 mpg nascar and sprint cars, and all the smoking belching heavy equipment thats out there, then I look at my old caddy that sits a lot of the time and say, fair dinkum.
    I think most of the legislators in California pollute the air more than our cars with all of their dope smoke.
    77CDV, 77CDV, bigm57ict and 1 others like this.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

What do you do if your failing emission parts are discontinued? If they have to pass smog forever then the factory should have to stock emission parts forever. It doesn't make sense to me.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al
    What do you do if your failing emission parts are discontinued? If they have to pass smog forever then the factory should have to stock emission parts forever. It doesn't make sense to me.
    Simple...you junk the car or sell it for next to nothing to someone out of state.....makes me never want to live in CA, CO, or any of the other emissions strict states. Here in MO, I need a catalytic converter (that technically doesn't even have to work) and thats it.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

I can't speak for all 70s cars, but I can say that my 77 runs pretty darn clean, even by the standards of her day (to which she's held at her bienniel smog inspection). The only area where she's a little bad is HC emissions, mostly because I let her run a little rich. But, remembering how things were when I was very young back in the 70s, when the sky in LA was a nearly constant orange-brown in the summer and the exhaust fumes from the cars running on leaded gas would literally make your teeth hurt, I'm glad we have emissions regulations. I would so not want to go back to the time before them.

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    I can't speak for all 70s cars, but I can say that my 77 runs pretty darn clean, even by the standards of her day (to which she's held at her bienniel smog inspection). The only area where she's a little bad is HC emissions, mostly because I let her run a little rich. But, remembering how things were when I was very young back in the 70s, when the sky in LA was a nearly constant orange-brown in the summer and the exhaust fumes from the cars running on leaded gas would literally make your teeth hurt, I'm glad we have emissions regulations. I would so not want to go back to the time before them.
    Then they should be strict for metropolitan areas and leave those of us on the outskirts alone. I NEVER remembered having smog problem 40 years ago. If you choose to live in a heavily populated area then fine but the pollution you contribute to should be addressed there not everywhere in the whole state!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    Yeah that would make sense but laws concerning smog seldom make sense when cars are over 20 years old. If the parts disappear then so should smog regulations for those years.

ferrisworld is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Sedan Deville

There are some zip codes in California that don't require a biennial smog check, but they're in areas with extremely low population.

Anyway, when I got my 79 smogged last year the guy told me it was actually cleaner than a lot of new cars he tests, so that made me feel good. Of course that was with the original monolithic cat on there, and now I have a 3" magnaflow, so we'll see what happens this year, if I have to smog it again (I might have to do it again this year because I had put it on non-op the year before last, which is when I would have normally had the smog test done).

3dfx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Coupe de ville 1969

Then they should be strict for metropolitan areas and leave those of us on the outskirts alone. I NEVER remembered having smog problem 40 years ago. If you choose to live in a heavily populated area then fine but the pollution you contribute to should be addressed there not everywhere in the whole state!
    I agree.

We have same kind of thing in Finland. I think we have never had any bad smog problems caused by traffic (maybe because new cars have always been very expensive and everyone couldn't afford a car and Finland is small, sparsely populated country). EU is forcing us to make our pollution laws more strict, even though we don't have any problems with smog. I'ts like repairing a not leaking tire with patch. Why repair something which isn't broken?

EU should make pollution laws more strict on places with smog problems and less strict on places with no smog problems.

There has been some debate about having some kind of "environmental zones" in cities. Every car gets an environmental sticker on a wind shield depending on how much your car pollutes. With right kind of sticker, you can enter differenct environmental zones. Of course they will check only the CO2-emissions from cars and give that environment sticker according to that. That's a one very big flaw. Small diesel powered car can enter all zones, even if their emissions practically smell badder and ruin air quality. Some modern warmed up gas engines doesn't smell at all. This is the thing we should be monitoring, not CO2-emissions.

If the parts disappear then so should smog regulations for those years.
    I agree in this too.

I don't know how are the things in USA but here practically no one drives a car made before nineties. Of course some people drive with old cars allways but they are small minor group. Here emissions test have to be made on all cars made after 1978. Those emission testings on old cars are just teasing old car hobbyists and they have no effect on air quality etc.
    jamespowers and jamespowers like this.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

technically speaking - a 1 cylinder - 5HP lawnmower -
    will spew out more "pollution" than any modern gas powered V8 -
    assuming all "pollution" equipment is installed and working properly -

Quote Originally Posted by ferrisworld View Post
    There are some zip codes in California that don't require a biennial smog check, but they're in areas with extremely low population.

Anyway, when I got my 79 smogged last year the guy told me it was actually cleaner than a lot of new cars he tests, so that made me feel good. Of course that was with the original monolithic cat on there, and now I have a 3" magnaflow, so we'll see what happens this year, if I have to smog it again (I might have to do it again this year because I had put it on non-op the year before last, which is when I would have normally had the smog test done).
    Extremely low is too low. It ought to be confined to historically high pollution areas and that is it.

My 86 brougham passed easily as well but it is the principle of the thing more than what is acceptable. Good luck getting dual exhaust to pass.

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

I worked at an emissions testing place here in Colorado for quite some time when i was 19, and the only cars that would typically fail the tests were usually late 80's models, or brand new LandRovers.... no joke.

I was a fan of the big Cadillacs back then too, so they always attracted my attention, and i don't remember seeing a single one fail the test. My 75 CDV is exempt because i bought collector plates for it. it used to be once the car hit 25 years you could get collector plates, but they just changed it recently to only 75 and down (i just BARELY beat it!)

Even then, the training the technicians went through wasn't the greatest. I pulled my car i owned at the time up for the instructors to use as an example, and they were pointing out the complete WRONG things to the new trainees for emission devices to look for... One of them was pointing out and went on for several minutes talking about one of my oxygen sensors, and he wasn't even anywhere NEAR where they were at... it was kind of embarrassing to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiMan View Post
    I worked at an emissions testing place here in Colorado for quite some time when i was 19, and the only cars that would typically fail the tests were usually late 80's models, or brand new LandRovers.... no joke.

I was a fan of the big Cadillacs back then too, so they always attracted my attention, and i don't remember seeing a single one fail the test. My 75 CDV is exempt because i bought collector plates for it. it used to be once the car hit 25 years you could get collector plates, but they just changed it recently to only 75 and down (i just BARELY beat it!)

Even then, the training the technicians went through wasn't the greatest. I pulled my car i owned at the time up for the instructors to use as an example, and they were pointing out the complete WRONG things to the new trainees for emission devices to look for... One of them was pointing out and went on for several minutes talking about one of my oxygen sensors, and he wasn't even anywhere NEAR where they were at... it was kind of embarrassing to watch!
    Over here they have no idea either. They do end up finding some way to get you to spend money though. Last time I had my 75 Eldorado checked they got me for a new gas cap---last time too. It is exempt now. I don't need special plates or anything either.

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Quote Originally Posted by SafariOne View Post
    Very well said and very true!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.