84 fleetwood brougham no charge light when car is off
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 84 fleetwood brougham no charge light when car is off in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 1984 Fleetwood Brougham Sedan Hi all. I've been looking around these forums, since I got my car a year ago, ...
    JamesCaesar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Fleetwood Brougham

84 fleetwood brougham no charge light when car is off

1984 Fleetwood Brougham Sedan

Hi all. I've been looking around these forums, since I got my car a year ago, educating myself and fixing some problems. I can not figure this one out.

My no charge (battery) light will flicker on and off while driving, but it stays fully lit when my car is off and no keys in ignition. I've heard it could be a bad diode on my alternator. However I have recently installed new speakers, an amp and a subwoofer to my car. I have installed sound systems in many cars including my last which was a 1990 Lincoln town car and I have never had issues from a bad install.

I have tried a brand new battery, but it was drained over night. Right now I have a switch on my battery so I just turn it off when I park.

Most of the mechanics around where I live are total rip offs so if anyone has some advice as to how to decipher and eliminate this problem, I would immensely appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Check your fuses. One side of the alt light comes from the fuse box so if the fuse is blown, it will stay on. But, it would stay on while driving I suppose.

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
    I had the same problem with my 85 a while back...no charge light on with no key in ignition.

Issue was it was a bad alternator.

You mention you installed a sound system though..possible the amp is drawing power when car is off..check your remote turn on/off wire.

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

Re: 84 fleetwood brougham no charge light when car is off

These units have an internal regulator so that would be a source of the drain if it was going south, but diodes should be changed at the same time if you have it apart. Probably just as cheap to replace the whole unit, depends if you want to keep your original equipment or not.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

You have an internally shorted alternator. Replace it. Make sure once installed that the smog pump belt is tight! If loose, it will cause the alt. belt to slip at any RPM above idle. The smog pump adjustment is done from under the car below the smog pump.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Yup. The internal regulator is shorted. It is backfeeding the dash bulb. Normal operation has the bulb fed by ignition circuit through a fuse. The other end of the bulb feeds one terminal that plugs into the regulator. It will kill your battery overnight. For now disconnect the battery or the two terminal alternator plug while not running.

My vote is to retrofit a more modern alternator. Mid 90s cars had some good ones.

JamesCaesar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Fleetwood Brougham

Thank you everyone for your advice. I tested the remote turn on and the power wires for my amp and stereo; no problem there. I will replace the alternator tomorrow I hope, and I will update this thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.