My 79 Coupe Won't Start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, My 79 Coupe Won't Start in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; This morning my 1979 Coupe Deville wouldn't start. The last few times I drove it, it's been running a little ...
    Sweet D'Elegance is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

My 79 Coupe Won't Start

This morning my 1979 Coupe Deville wouldn't start. The last few times I drove it, it's been running a little rougher than usual, but it always starts. When I start it, it usually takes 3 turns of the key with several pats of the gas before it fires, but this morning it just kept turning over. The last time this happened I had the ignition module replaced. My car has 94,500 miles on it. What are your thoughts??? Mine has a carburetor, NOT fuel injection.

History

I bought the car with 93,000 miles on it. I replaced plugs and wires, air filter, ignition module, cap and rotor, added dual exhausts with 50 series Flowmasters. What did I miss???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

Re: My 79 Coupe Won't Start

Pour a little gas down the carb, if it starts then it is a fuel issue. If it doesn't pull a plug wire, stick a screwdriver in it and get it near some metal and get someone to turn it over and check for spark. This will help figure out what is going on.

I actually sprayed some starter fluid in it a while ago and it did nothing. I'm gonna pour a little gas and see what I get. Thanks!

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet D'Elegance View Post
    I actually sprayed some starter fluid in it a while ago and it did nothing. I'm gonna pour a little gas and see what I get. Thanks!
    Sounds you are getting no spark. If starting fluid doesn't get it to fire....

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet D'Elegance View Post
    Starting fluid should have done it, but if you're going to put gas in the carb, make sure to only use a little. Like a couple of cap fulls.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by lacville78 View Post
    Starting fluid should have done it, but if you're going to put gas in the carb, make sure to only use a little. Like a couple of cap fulls.
    And wipe up any spills BEFORE you crank it.

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

Check the pickup coil wires. If you pull the rotor off you can see there will be 2 wires at the base of the distributor. If it's original a lot of times they become brittle and break off from the vacuum advance moving it back and fourth. You should be able to easily see the broken wires. If that looks ok then it's probably the module. One dead give a way with a bad pickup coil is usually one wire will break and the engine will run really rough then when the other breaks it will no longer start.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Take the wing nut off the air filter and pour gas thru the stud hole. That way if it back fires it wont flame up.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Clogged fuel filter???

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

These engines are easy to work on, but you do need a few gauges and tools to get the info you need to make more than a guess at the reasons for the problems. Pull the air cleaner and set it aside. Open the front air choke valve and look down the carb and pull the throttle back. If you don't see any jets of fuel, the carb reservoir is empty and the fuel is more than the suspect. If that is the result, disconnect the fuel line from the front of the filter. You need a 1" line wrench or open end combo to hold the filter housing and a 5/8 line wrench for the fuel line fitting. Sometimes these connections have been there so long they do not separate easily. You have to snap the two apart rather than use increasing pressure to break the connection. If that doesn't work, I cut the fuel line and remove the filter housing and line together. Check out the filter for any debris (mud). Mud - you have problems back at the tank. If there was fuel and pressure when you cracked the line, your pump is probably good. Nothing - your pump is suspect. Now, you need a pressure gauge. they have inexpensive Vacuum / Pressure gauges at any auto parts store. One side of the scale reads Vacuum and the other, Pressure. Pressure should read between 8 and 12 #s Under 6# - pump is junk.

I really appreciate everyone's input, this forum is great! After checking for spark and finding NONE, I did a visual inspection of the wires and such under the distributor to find everything intact. After doing a bit of research on symptoms of a faulty ignition module, I realized that my car had been displaying the symptoms leading up to my NO START, including random misfires under acceleration, stalling, etc. I replaced the module ($30.00) and she started right up! Now it's running perfectly!!!

Here's a few pictures of my car:
    311109_4877095278335_1640500882_n.jpg
    559808_4877096078355_1465159438_n.jpg
    575959_4873005536094_70721237_n.jpg
    I'm running full duals with 50 Series Flowmasters and it sounds AMAZING!!!

Glad you got her going again.
    Get a video up, I want to hear the mighty beast roar!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Beautiful ride. Prefect color for a classic Cadillac.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

The pillowed seats and the door panels suggests that it is a DeElegance, a dealer optioned car. They often came with the CB radio and other finer options. Looks similar to mine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.