1987 Brougham Rear Bumper
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1987 Brougham Rear Bumper in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just wanted to let you all know that I've removed the rear bumper from my parts car and cleaned it ...
    outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

1987 Brougham Rear Bumper

Just wanted to let you all know that I've removed the rear bumper from my parts car and cleaned it up. It cleaned up real good. A couple of scratches in the chrome but overall a huge improvement over the duct tape bumper that's on my 87 right now.

Also tore the whole thing down and wire brushed the surface rust from the inside, then primed the inside.

That should stop it from rusting through again in the near future

Anyone have any tips on aligning the bumper to the fillers? On my 87 it's never been aligned right. The top of the bumper ends/tail light housings were good but at the bottom there was quite a noticeable gap. I'd like to improve on that so any tips would be great!

----------

Also don't tell the wife I stole the dish towels for the garage...haha.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I put mine on a couple weeks ago and the shims varied a lot from one side to the other. One side required two thicker shims and one side required one thin shim. Do you have any half shims? Make sure the bumper pistons are out the same amount and at the same angle.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

Re: 1987 Brougham Rear Bumper

I used a big hammer.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Re: 1987 Brougham Rear Bumper

I have heard that it is best to remove either front or rear bumpers with the whole bumper pistons still attached. That way you won't misplace any shims and you keep the alignment correct, all you'd do is bolt it back to the frame and you are done...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.