70 CDV blower stuck on low
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 70 CDV blower stuck on low in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, New to the forum. Got a 70 Coupe DeVille a few days ago. The a/c is stuck on the ...
    Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

70 CDV blower stuck on low

Hello,
    New to the forum. Got a 70 Coupe DeVille a few days ago. The a/c is stuck on the low blower speed. It has the rotory climate control. The a/c does kick on so it appears the head knows where the selector is.

How can I troubleshoot this and/or how to I hotwire the blower on Hi??
    Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

Re: 70 CDV blower stuck on low

if its running at a very slow speed, Then i think you are good to go. I'm not sure what year it started, but most of the 1970 Cadillacs run the fan constantly even if you shut the system off, just for ventilation purposes.

Yes, On low but I am not able to increase the speed so it gets quie warm in there. Is there anyway to hotwire the blower on hi?

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Welcome to the forum, Jeff

Most probably your blower relay is bad. When it fails low speed circuit goes on through the ignition circuit but the rest of speeds do not run. Maybe you can find a new one on Ebay or get it repaired by an automotive electrician.

The relay is on the firewall, next to the transmission oil stick:

The blower relay is used to obtain a more direct feed, from the starter solenoid battery terminal, when the control lever is in "AUTO", "HI", "FOG", or "ICE". The relay coil feed is from the ignition switch, through the 25 amp switch where the circuit is continuous only in "AUTO", "HI", "FOG", or "ICE".

I had this problem on my '69. It had a non original relay but an electrician modified a modern relay to do the same function and substituted it so all speeds went ok since then. I hope your A/C works as well.

Thanks--- This is the information I have been looking for.
    2 Questions.
    First, How did you get it so clean under your hood???
    Secondly, Is there a way to just hot-wire it for now and/or bypass the relay all together so I can get some air movement? Have only had the car a week, I don't even have plates on it yet but I need to take things a step at a time.
    I guess 3 questions actually. What are some good troubleshooting websits, books,etc for this car?

Cady70 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 70 Deville, 90 Allante

Take a few feet of wire and run it from the positive battery terminal to the blower motor. There's a single post conector on the blower that you can run power to. Then it's just a matter of popping the hood and unclipping it from the battery every time you stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff R View Post
    Thanks--- This is the information I have been looking for.
    2 Questions.
    First, How did you get it so clean under your hood???
    Secondly, Is there a way to just hot-wire it for now and/or bypass the relay all together so I can get some air movement? Have only had the car a week, I don't even have plates on it yet but I need to take things a step at a time.
    I guess 3 questions actually. What are some good troubleshooting websits, books,etc for this car?
    The car on that pic is not mine; itīs taken from a particularly well preserved (I would say in a time capsule) 70 CDV. Thatīs the original relay. The relay I found on mine was for an old Fiat - Seat or something like that. The one I have now is a modern one but it does its work. Anyway, cleaning the firewall is easy: Just an engine cleaner, a rag, a moistened cloth and some patience.

Iīm not particularly good at electric issues. The easiest solution is what Cady70 proposes (At least it will allow you testing if the blower motor works ok) but I will show you how the blower speed circuit and the relay works so you can find a better solution. I would take this diagram to a electricity shop so they can provide you with a similar relay and you can just unplug and plug to get your blower working as it should do. Maybe you can find this relay on Ebay. I bought one of these but I got a wrong one (maybe for an Eldorado).

share image

I strongly recommend you to buy a 1970 Cadillac Factory Service Manual (these pics are taken from the 69 FSM). Itīs an awesome help for all you need to know to repair and do maintenance works correctly. You can find some on Ebay.com:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CADILLAC-197...f4a407&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Cadilla...988f1a&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Cadilla...3bc585&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Cadilla...c87bf9&vxp=mtr

As to bypassing the connections, after watching the wiring diagram I would say that you should connect the orange and the Brown/White wires but youīd better check it in the wiring diagram. Iīm no expert in electricity:

http://s24.postimg.org/lxsxhxch1/Wiring_Diag69.jpg
    http://s24.postimg.org/l9p4w3k2t/Wiring_Diag69_1.jpg

This is a 1969 diagram. Iīm not sure how many changes suffered in 1970.

If Climate Control power servo does not work, maybe this by-pass or a new relay would not work. Forgot to tell you this could also be the problem.

Now this is what I am looking for. Thanks.
    Yes, I plan to get a manual--Just haven't gotten that far yet. Have only had it a week.

When you have some time, you could post some pics. A lot of people in this forum would enjoy them for sure

Will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to.
    Took the relay apart and cleaned it. It is working now. Working on the power servo now. Able to get it "hotwired" to get a stronger blower. Wedged something in the power servo to keep the rotating plate advanced to force the blower higher. It will work for now but will have to work on it when we need heat. Have to do this now because the front windows don't work.

Iīm glad to see you have the blower issue under control. You can buy a rebuilt power servo if you could not repair it: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40.

As to the windows, they often stop working due to rusted connections at switches. Itīs easy checking it. You can hotwire the motors to see if thatīs the problem. Itīs easy getting other used or rebuilt ones.

You can upload an image by using the "image" icon (tree into a square) on the posting tool bar

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.