Rear shocks - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Rear shocks in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Fleetwood472 That's not true. Gabriels come with the spring in their kit because they require it. Monroes ...
    turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Re: Rear shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood472 View Post
    That's not true. Gabriels come with the spring in their kit because they require it. Monroes do not. I thought the same thing about ride height stiffness until I swapped out the gabriels in my fleetwood to Monroes. Monroes ride a lot nicer.
    I don't know what the stock pressures are, but my Gabriels required a little over 100 PSI to maintain the stock height. The Monroes on my brother's Roadmaster Wagon require about the same (it's lighter than the limo, but he likes it a bit higher than stock). The Monroes don't have a spring in their kit, or anything GM-specific for that matter because they're not marketed as OEM replacements like the Gabriels are. As OEM replacements, the kits are over-engineered IMO. As far as I know, there is no kit manufactured by or for Monroe for directly replacing stock shocks in ELC-equipped GM cars like the Gabriels (if there is one let me know because my brother could use one). My AC Delcos (Gabriels) came with a line kit, but the kit with the spring in it is ordered separately and has the correct sized tee for the factory lines. If your intention is to tap into the factory compressor system then you have to source your own parts for the Monroes - mainly that tee. It's NOT the tee with the Schrader valve - it has compression fittings on all 3 sides. My brother's is leaking because the Monroe lines are smaller than the stock lines. I tried to help him out with spare parts from my Gabriel kit, which is how we found out about the different sizes.

In any event, if you're just going to put air shocks on it with a Schrader valve then all of the above is moot. If you're going to use the stock ELC it gets a little more complicated.

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

The gabriels and monroes both use a T fitting because the factory shocks had one line run to the left shock and then had a jumper air line that ran from the 2nd port on the left shock over to the right shock. Not sure what you are getting at saying they don't have a kit for ELC vehicles. As I posted before in this thread that kit is AK16 which is compatible with ELC systems. They also have a shrader valve kit for a stand a lone system which is p/n AK64. The only reason for the kit for both the gabriels and monroes is because the shock bodies have threaded fittings and not the clip style fitting that the factory shocks used. On top of that they both have 1 port each vs the factory 2 port left shock and 1 port right shock. The line sizes are exactly the same. The o-ring setup is too. When I took out my old gabriels that were failing I unscrewed the T fitting that they came with and put 2 new o-rings on from the monroe kit then screwed the original cadillac line right onto the T-Fitting just as I did with the old Gabriels. Monroes oem replacements. Go to Rockauto or NAPA and you'll see that they are direct fit replacements. Gabriels use the T-Fitting just like the monroes. Go to Napa or Rockauto and you'll see that Monroes are listed as direct replacements. If you're using either with ELC how would it get complicated? You're just using a T-Fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood472 View Post
    The gabriels and monroes both use a T fitting because the factory shocks had one line run to the left shock and then had a jumper air line that ran from the 2nd port on the left shock over to the right shock. Not sure what you are getting at saying they don't have a kit for ELC vehicles. As I posted before in this thread that kit is AK16 which is compatible with ELC systems. They also have a shrader valve kit for a stand a lone system which is p/n AK64. The only reason for the kit for both the gabriels and monroes is because the shock bodies have threaded fittings and not the clip style fitting that the factory shocks used. On top of that they both have 1 port each vs the factory 2 port left shock and 1 port right shock. The line sizes are exactly the same. The o-ring setup is too. When I took out my old gabriels that were failing I unscrewed the T fitting that they came with and put 2 new o-rings on from the monroe kit then screwed the original cadillac line right onto the T-Fitting just as I did with the old Gabriels. Monroes oem replacements. Go to Rockauto or NAPA and you'll see that they are direct fit replacements. Gabriels use the T-Fitting just like the monroes. Go to Napa or Rockauto and you'll see that Monroes are listed as direct replacements. If you're using either with ELC how would it get complicated? You're just using a T-Fitting.
    I'm aware of all of that. I've replaced the rear shocks on both my limos and now my brother's Roadmaster. The o-rings, lines and tees are different between the Delcos and the Monroes. Maybe he got the wrong kit? I don't know. He's having a hard time getting the right combination of parts to make it work with the ELC. He ordered a Monroe kit that had different line sizes and o-rings than the Gabriel hardware I had. They were also different from whatever the PO had installed. I'll have him check out the kits you've mentioned.

My point with the Monroe vs. Gabriel kits is that the Gabriel kits are over-engineered because they are offered by Delco as OEM replacements, hence the spring in the Gabriel kits. The pressure requirements of both shocks is the same so if the spring is required or not required for Gabriels, it would be required or not required for the Monroes. I guess my point is that I don't see the spring "requirement" as necessarily being a drawback to the Gabriels. I will agree, however, that my ride sucks after installing them on the '94. The '96 was fine so I'm not sure I'm ready to blame the shocks. When you use air shocks to prop up worn springs you're going to get a harsh ride.

purelux is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 deville
    The Gabriel/"ac delco" have a higher minimum pressure than the OEM or Monroe do thus requiring a spring. Also the point of air assist is to enable a soft ride but still be able to handle and ride properly when loaded.

The spring is for the max pressure, not the min. It's to increase the maximum pressure the pump is capable of producing. Max pressure on the Gabriels is 200; 150 for the Monroes. The system doesn't measure pressure it measures height so if the pressure requirements of the shocks are different, the pump is simply going to run or vent until it's the correct height. That being said, if a shock requires less air to maintain the same height, the ride should theoretically be better. More air = harsher ride. I'll definitely try the Monroes next time around (if there is a next time).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.