A/C issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, A/C issue in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I had forgotten that I had this problem last summer, but it's happened again. Hopefully, it is not a major ...
    TopherS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS LuxIII (60K mi.), '06 SRX V6-AWD (40K mi.)

A/C issue

I had forgotten that I had this problem last summer, but it's happened again. Hopefully, it is not a major issue...

When I turn on my car and the A/C kicks in, there is a sound that makes you think that an airplane just flew over the car...lasts about 3 seconds and then it's gone. I don't know if this has anything to do with my car's problem, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

The main problem is that when driving any length of time (say an hour or 2...or anytime longer), my A/C stops blowing air. I will notice that it gets hotter inside the car and there's no air blowing out of any vents (floor/dash/defrost). I can turn the system to manual and turn up the fan speed and I can hear the fan blowing, but still, no air flow through the vents...I can change where I want the air directed (floor/dash/defrost vents), and still...nothing. If I turn the A/C system off for a while (15-20 minutes or more) and turn it back on, the air will flow again as it should. Same thing if I turn off the car and then turn it on again a few minutes later (i.e. turning off the car to put gas).

I've never had a problem with the defrost function or heat function throughout the fall/winter/spring. This only seems to be an A/C problem. Almost seems as though the system is freezing and by turning off the system (or the car altogether), that it allows the system to defrost and run again. I don't know if this is really what is happening, but it "seems" like that.

Any help would be appreciated in this. Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

acerulz1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: A/C issue

you're exactly right, the evap core is freezing up on you. check your drain hose under the hood on the bottom of your air box. they sometimes plug up and dont allow the water to drain, hence it freezes and you lose air flow.

TopherS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS LuxIII (60K mi.), '06 SRX V6-AWD (40K mi.)

Thanks for the quick reply...

I just checked...the drain hole is not plugged. And I always get a puddle of water under the car after driving. In reaching under the box, I've found a hole where water comes out...but there's not a hose sticking out of that hole...should there be? Is there a way to prevent it from freezing up if the drain hole is not plugged?

Cheers again.

acerulz1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

there doesn't necessarily need to be a hose. could your fan clutch on the engine be worn out and not engaging? may not be getting proper flow through the condenser? could be a problem with your cycling switch also.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.