425 EFI Parts in Stockton, CA
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
Like Tree3Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 425 EFI Parts in Stockton, CA in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys. This isn't a real serious post. I've been wanting to convert to EFI for a while, and there's ...
  1. #1
    ferrisworld is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Sedan Deville
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    358

    425 EFI Parts in Stockton, CA

    Hey guys. This isn't a real serious post. I've been wanting to convert to EFI for a while, and there's 1978 Deville at the Stockton, CA pick-n-pull with a T engine code vin, which means it at least came with EFI. I live in Sacramento which is an hour away, and I'm trying to decide if I should go down there and get the parts, or just keep waiting to see if one comes into one of the 4 pick-n-pulls closer to me. They have this new row52.com service that gives you a pic and the vin of all the cars they have.

    Here's a link to the exact car. Interesting how it has a 79 grill, but still the 78 grill header.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    jayoldschool's Avatar
    jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,862

    Re: 425 EFI Parts in Stockton, CA

    You already know the answer.

    I've been wanting to convert to EFI for a while
    Load up the tools, get in the car, and go collect the prize!

  4. #3
    Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    235

    Re: 425 EFI Parts in Stockton, CA

    If it has EFI it's worth grabbing. I know they're more common in California but they're still pretty rare. I'd grab it. These cars are getting harder to find. That car probably has the aluminum hood since it is EFI. That might be worth grabbing to replace the heavy steel hood on yours.

  5. #4
    cadillac kevin's Avatar
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,663
    Grab the bumper fillers if they are in good shape while you're there. Someone here will buy them.

  6. #5
    ferrisworld is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Sedan Deville
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    358

    Re: 425 EFI Parts in Stockton, CA

    I'll get what I can I guess. I already have an aluminum hood. Probably 2/3 of the cars I see out here have them. Even seen a couple of early 80s cars with them.

  7. #6
    cadillac kevin's Avatar
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,663
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrisworld
    I'll get what I can I guess. I already have an aluminum hood. Probably 2/3 of the cars I see out here have them. Even seen a couple of early 80s cars with them.
    I'd love to have an aluminum hood for my brougham (but shipping would be insane for a hood)

  8. #7
    Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    235

    Re: 425 EFI Parts in Stockton, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by ferrisworld View Post
    I'll get what I can I guess. I already have an aluminum hood. Probably 2/3 of the cars I see out here have them. Even seen a couple of early 80s cars with them.
    Ya it must be a lot more common in California for them to have aluminum hoods. A lot harder to find everywhere else. The only cars that weren't California cars with aluminum hoods standard were Fleetwoods I think. So are you going to run the EFI stock or are you going to modify it to run a newer ecm/sensors?

  9. #8
    ferrisworld is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Sedan Deville
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    358

    Re: 425 EFI Parts in Stockton, CA

    Well, I think I'll have to have it setup stock so I can pass smog. If they see I'm running more modern stuff with like a megasquirt they'll probably fail me. So I wanted to see if I could figure out a way to swap in the stock computer and disable/hide new things it doesn't need for smog inspections, and then switch back to the new stuff after I pass.

    As for hoods its weird. I saw a couple of fleetwoods in a yard last year and niether of them had aluminum hoods. One was a 79, then other a 77 I think. Maybe they weren't originally California cars like mine, but I think I remember them having AIR pumps, and mine never did.

    If you want an aluminum hood, why not make a California road trip? Drive out here with no hood, get a hood, and drive home. That's what I actually did since I don't have a truck, but it was only an hour drive.

  10. #9
    cadillac kevin's Avatar
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,663
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrisworld
    Well, I think I'll have to have it setup stock so I can pass smog. If they see I'm running more modern stuff with like a megasquirt they'll probably fail me. So I wanted to see if I could figure out a way to swap in the stock computer and disable/hide new things it doesn't need for smog inspections, and then switch back to the new stuff after I pass.

    As for hoods its weird. I saw a couple of fleetwoods in a yard last year and niether of them had aluminum hoods. One was a 79, then other a 77 I think. Maybe they weren't originally California cars like mine, but I think I remember them having AIR pumps, and mine never did.

    If you want an aluminum hood, why not make a California road trip? Drive out here with no hood, get a hood, and drive home. That's what I actually did since I don't have a truck, but it was only an hour drive.
    I'm in MO....that's a long ass drive (and a big gas bill) for a hood.

  11. #10
    talismandave's Avatar
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Madison WI
    Age
    55
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: 425 EFI Parts in Stockton, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by ferrisworld View Post
    Drive out here with no hood, get a hood, and drive home. That's what I actually did since I don't have a truck, but it was only an hour drive.
    I LOVE IT!

    I would have never thought of that!
    csbuckn and csbuckn like this.

  12. #11
    jayoldschool's Avatar
    jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,862

    Re: 425 EFI Parts in Stockton, CA

    That is exactly how I got the ram air hood for my SS. A buddy was driving to Cold Lake, AB for military training. We grabbed an old hood from my scrap wagon, put it on his car, and he stopped in MB to pick up my hood. Tossed the scrap hood, bolted on the new one, and drove the rest of the trip like that.

  13. #12
    talismandave's Avatar
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Madison WI
    Age
    55
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: 425 EFI Parts in Stockton, CA

    That's cheating, using a scrap hood!

    I love the image of a hoodless Cadillac cruising along with the springs reaching for the sky....
    ferrisworld and ferrisworld like this.

  14. #13
    ferrisworld is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Sedan Deville
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    358

    Re: 425 EFI Parts in Stockton, CA

    I got it all! That car had been there since March 27th, so I was slightly worried, but everything was there! I got the computer, which appeared have been replaced at one point, intake, tb, injectors, wiring harness, distributor etc. I did leave this one thing that was attached right by the windshield wiper motor. It had a vacuum hose that went to it, and then two wires that went into the main wiring harness. I think were were a couple of other wires that came off the the main harness as well, which I left. Hopefully not a big deal. I loved that the EFI harness was all mostly one piece that was separate from the rest of the car. Just pulled the connectors through the hole in the dash. There was another connector going to the computer which I assumed to be the ignition on signal and fuel pump controls. I cut it off in the middle of the dash so I got the connecor with a few feet of wire. Hopefully I can make that work. The "Electronic Fuel Injection" air cleaner lid is really cool too. Car also had a really straight body and aluminum hood, but they had a 77 Coupe there with a steel hood. Kind of started thinking on the way home how cool it would be to just have a whole factory EFI equipped car, but, maybe one day. Total for all the parts came out to almost $370! Hope I didn't get ripped off, but I could imagine paying that for the intake alone online somewhere.

    As for installing this legally, I need to look into that, but there's a bill floating around in the California senate to move the smog test cutoff year from 1976 to 1981. Failed last year, but they may look at it again this year. Pray for me. I know it should be legal to do, but I think there may be some issues regarding the emissions sticker on the radiator or some nonsense, and the fact that my car is Federal emissions with no AIR pump, and might need to find a sticker for a Federal EFI car in order to avoid having to install an AIR pump to match the California EFI sticker I pulled off the car. Pray for me.

  15. #14
    cadillac kevin's Avatar
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,663
    Maybe swap the piece that sits atop the radiator and has the sticker on it?

  16. #15
    jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,018

    Re: 425 EFI Parts in Stockton, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by ferrisworld View Post
    I got it all! That car had been there since March 27th, so I was slightly worried, but everything was there! I got the computer, which appeared have been replaced at one point, intake, tb, injectors, wiring harness, distributor etc. I did leave this one thing that was attached right by the windshield wiper motor. It had a vacuum hose that went to it, and then two wires that went into the main wiring harness. I think were were a couple of other wires that came off the the main harness as well, which I left. Hopefully not a big deal. I loved that the EFI harness was all mostly one piece that was separate from the rest of the car. Just pulled the connectors through the hole in the dash. There was another connector going to the computer which I assumed to be the ignition on signal and fuel pump controls. I cut it off in the middle of the dash so I got the connecor with a few feet of wire. Hopefully I can make that work. The "Electronic Fuel Injection" air cleaner lid is really cool too. Car also had a really straight body and aluminum hood, but they had a 77 Coupe there with a steel hood. Kind of started thinking on the way home how cool it would be to just have a whole factory EFI equipped car, but, maybe one day. Total for all the parts came out to almost $370! Hope I didn't get ripped off, but I could imagine paying that for the intake alone online somewhere.

    As for installing this legally, I need to look into that, but there's a bill floating around in the California senate to move the smog test cutoff year from 1976 to 1981. Failed last year, but they may look at it again this year. Pray for me. I know it should be legal to do, but I think there may be some issues regarding the emissions sticker on the radiator or some nonsense, and the fact that my car is Federal emissions with no AIR pump, and might need to find a sticker for a Federal EFI car in order to avoid having to install an AIR pump to match the California EFI sticker I pulled off the car. Pray for me.
    I think they need to move it to 1987 myself. I'll pray for you and me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting