1983 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance Project - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree261Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1983 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Thanks to you all for your hints. Today I tried it with welding wires. Its hard to locate the ongoing ...
    grauhst is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 FWB d'Elegance, 1983 Coupe Deville,1974 Lincoln Mark IV

Re: 1983 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance Project

Thanks to you all for your hints.

Today I tried it with welding wires. Its hard to locate the ongoing drainhole.

Took off the alternator, fan shroud, ac compressor and will clean everything. Some screws and bolts weren't installed correctly and I will make everything how it should be.
    I will take off the passenger valve cover soon.

What is this bracket for? There wasn't anything attached.

If I would have an engine crane, I would have taken out the engine. But I think I will can make that this way too.

Regards
    Felix

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

I am not sure but it looks like something to do with the generator. Maybe this might help:
    63335765.jpg

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

Felix......That bracket is a rear alternator support bracket. Mine is still in place. It appears to engage the back of the alternator through the slotted hole. There is nothing fastened to the holes at the end of the bracket. Yours will need straightening and if your are a real stickler for detail, the colour is gloss black. I suspect that it would have been painted with the main alternator mount because that part is one of the only gloss black pieces in the entire engine room. The employee who painted those parts in 1983 probably got fired at the end of the production run when the bean-counters found out how much money he wasted painting those pieces with really nice paint.

Cheers...........R.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Banx View Post
    Felix......That bracket is a rear alternator support bracket. Mine is still in place. It appears to engage the back of the alternator through the slotted hole. There is nothing fastened to the holes at the end of the bracket. Yours will need straightening and if your are a real stickler for detail, the colour is gloss black. I suspect that it would have been painted with the main alternator mount because that part is one of the only gloss black pieces in the entire engine room. The employee who painted those parts in 1983 probably got fired at the end of the production run when the bean-counters found out how much money he wasted painting those pieces with really nice paint.

Cheers...........R.
    Quite right Alternator. I was thinking of my classic cars with generators. Sorry about that.

Thanks a lot, I will take it for the alternator.

Took off the passenger valve cover today. Good thing, there is standing no oil in the head but there is some oil coal.

Regards
    Felix
    Seville fan likes this.

Seville fan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham

Felix you are like a German Edd China from that TV show Wheeler/Dealer. You explain things very clearly like he does and the photography is a big part of it. That's a beautiful car you have just wish it had at least the 307 V8 in it. You may get the 4100 to last forever with your skills but if not I would love to read your chronicles of an engine swap. Lots of people have done it but I have yet to see a detailed accounting of the process with pics of the quality you take. As much as I would like to see a small block Chevy V8 in there a modern Mercedes or BMW turbo diesel might be even better. I bet they could be had pretty cheaply in Germany. Solving the electrical and layout issues would be a real challenge but not for you.
    grauhst likes this.

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

Given the amount of parts removed from the engine for the oil leak repair, now might be a good time to replace the spark plugs and wires. It should be a lot easier than to do it on a complete and running engine. Just a thought.

Cheers and keep up the good work!...........R.
    grauhst likes this.

@ Robin Banx,
    I already replaced the plugs when I bought the car in February. What a torture!
    Now it is way more simple, you're correct.
    But I haven't thought that it is that horrible to replace the valve cover gasket... I think the better way would be to take out the whole engine. If I had known it earlier, I would have took it out and made bothe engine and transmission at the same time.

@ Seville fan,
    Thanks a lot! Well I have to say, I like the HT. Yes, I do! It is a very smooth running engine. Ok, it has no power and it is not the most reliable engine () but I haven't bought a Cadillac to drag race it. It drives great and I love it.
    I love the Fuel Monitor gimmicks too of the digital fuel injection. Another part a carbureted 307 don't have. I prefer fuel injection about carb. Way better for a daily driver. My Lincoln's 460 does have a carburetor and I wouldn't like to drive with it the whole year (beside it's fuel consumption).
    I wouldn't like to put a BMW or whatever engine in it because I want the characteristics of that typical american V8.
    My brother had a BMW 330i convertible with I6 engine (231 hp). Runs smooth and a lot of power but my HT has the same fuel consumption and it runs even smoother (and it's a V8)

I think when the HT will brake apart sometimes I will either overhaul it or put another HT in it again. I will keep this car as original as possible because I love it how it is.

Btw if I want power I still have my 460 Lincoln:

Best Regards
    Felix

Jeppi94 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadllac Brougham

Sweet work! I've got the exact same tires like you!
    grauhst likes this.

Seville fan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham

I forgot about your Lincoln! Nothing like the sound of a big displacement carbureted V8. You are too spoiled now to have a bigger engine in the Cadillac, the Mark will always sound better. I think those had the factory dual exhaust too.

It's true about the fuel economy with the 4100 and 307 engines, not that bad. I know what you mean about loving it the way it is. Many people have told me to change the 307 V8 I have to something more powerful but I don't want to for the reasons you mentioned.
    grauhst likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grauhst View Post
    I think when the HT will brake apart sometimes I will either overhaul it or put another HT in it again. I will keep this car as original as possible because I love it how it is.
    Unplugging the drain holes and doing all the other work likely saved the HT. You will probably get quite a bit of use out of it by keeping it up and not abusing it. The more I see you working on it, the more I appreciate the HT. If you ever rebuild it, you can probably straighten out a lot of the problems that plagued the HT in the first place since we all know that Cadillac kept updating the engines with upgrades that made them last longer.
    grauhst likes this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I agree with you on keeping the 4100.

I had an 82 sedan deville with it. I bought it with 52,000 and ran it up to a little over 100,000. I noticed antifreeze going away but no leak. You could smell it in the exhaust.

I was in my 20s at the time and it was my wife's daily driver, which is to say the service and upkeep were not what I would do today. Oil light was when it would be checked and such. Not my proudest moment automobile wise.

Considering the near neglectful care it got, I was very happy with 100,000 miles on it, sold it for near retail book to a guy who took it to his mechanic.

While we had it we did a lot of vacations and weekends and I loved it. Great MPG quiet and smooth. Wasn't a car you passed in on a two lane road, but other than that never bad off the line to merge with or enter highways. I would buy one today that was blown if clean and cheap enough and rebuild it.

Your thread and the cleaning of those drains should be required reading for all owners of HT4100's!
    If one were in my driveway right now, the covers would be off before it were driven again.
    grauhst likes this.

Thanks a lot to all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Seville fan View Post
    I forgot about your Lincoln! Nothing like the sound of a big displacement carbureted V8. You are too spoiled now to have a bigger engine in the Cadillac, the Mark will always sound better. I think those had the factory dual exhaust too.
    I think you are right on the button (is it correct for "hit the mark"?)
    Yes, it has factory dual exhaust and it sounds great. The HT has that typical fuel injection sound and I like that too. Well, as you said nothing beats displacement, that's true.

@ jamespowers
    Yes, thank you. I think that it will work further too. It was working 30 years (hey.. we should remember that, how much modern engines you think will reach 30 years?). So we could say these engines are quite reliable. It was working 30 years and I think it will work a lot of more years if I will take good care of it.

@ talismandave
    Great to read about.
    Your hint with the drain holes for all HT owners is right. Somewhere I read about that the drainholes were made bigger on 84 and later HT engines so that the most risky engines are the 82-83 ones.
    The oil coal is caused due to the exhaust crossover in the intake manifold. Look at this. On the bottom you can see that there is oil coal right at the exhaust crossover area. I think it would be way better without that exhaust crossover is going through the intake. It is required for the EGR system too.
    Well, it is how it is and I think with good care and high quality oil this should be not the biggest problem.

Btw the HT is told to have a lot of problems with the intake gasket. How can I notice a gasket fail?

Best Regards from Germany
    Felix

vicello93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 sedan deville
    Quote Originally Posted by grauhst
    Thanks a lot to all of you. I think you are right on the button (is it correct for "hit the mark"?) Yes, it has factory dual exhaust and it sounds great. The HT has that typical fuel injection sound and I like that too. Well, as you said nothing beats displacement, that's true. @ jamespowers Yes, thank you. I think that it will work further too. It was working 30 years (hey.. we should remember that, how much modern engines you think will reach 30 years?). So we could say these engines are quite reliable. It was working 30 years and I think it will work a lot of more years if I will take good care of it. @ talismandave Great to read about. Your hint with the drain holes for all HT owners is right. Somewhere I read about that the drainholes were made bigger on 84 and later HT engines so that the most risky engines are the 82-83 ones. The oil coal is caused due to the exhaust crossover in the intake manifold. Look at this. On the bottom you can see that there is oil coal right at the exhaust crossover area. I think it would be way better without that exhaust crossover is going through the intake. It is required for the EGR system too. Well, it is how it is and I think with good care and high quality oil this should be not the biggest problem. Btw the HT is told to have a lot of problems with the intake gasket. How can I notice a gasket fail? Best Regards from Germany Felix
    I'm having gasket problems with my 84 HT , how I noticed was the cooland bottle was bubbling when the car was running, and of course over heating but mine is the head gasket not the intake gasket. I'm surprised with my HT, it has 119000 miles and it's still running very quiet.

Alright, today I installed one new rear filler.

It doesn't fit well to the tail light housing. There is a big gap. How can I make it fit better? There are no shims between bumper shock and bumper.
    Felix

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.