Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1983 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance project

203K views 776 replies 73 participants last post by  Maximln 
#1 ·
Hi,
first of all i want to introduce myself. I am Felix from germany and i just bought an '83 FB d'Elegance Sedan, loaded and in beautiful "woodland haze" paint.
I want to say sorry to you if i make mistakes writing english. It is not perfect, but i will try as good as possible. :)

4 Years ago (when i was 18) i bought my first car: a rusty and worse custom '74 Continental Mark IV. You can see my Lincoln restoration here: Link
I restored it and now it is like new but as a daily driver (it was still my only car) it is too expensive on gas. (In germany it is something about 8$/gal)

I always loved 70s and 80s american cars. 80s Fleetwood Brougham always was one of my favourites.
So i looked for one. I had exact criteria:

- Year 80-83 (in germany there is a huge financial advantage for cars older then 30 Years, called historical license plate)
- Sedan (it is hard with these small parking spots and those huuuuge doors. I always have problems with the doors of my Lincoln.)
- Fleetwood Brougham, no Deville
- d'Elegance package with cloth seats (very important, i love these seats)
- paint shouldn't be silver or black (i don't like common colors.... today every car is silver or black)

It is hard to find a car that fits. I searched a lot worldwide but found almost nothing (and if, way too expensive)
In germany those cars are between 1.500 and 10.000€ Compared to the US-prices, they are expensive. Shipping from the US to germany is something about 2.000$.

One day i drove through a city 70 mls away and saw a '80s FB at the street side.
- Sedan :thumbsup:
- Fleetwood Brougham :thumbsup:
- d'Elegance :thumbsup:
- cloth seats :thumbsup:
- 80-83: yes, '83 :thumbsup:
- color :thumbsup:

Holy! A car like out of my dream.
Ok, it is needs TLC, but no problem.
I contact the owner, yes the car is for sale. It was inserted a while ago for 4.300€
I negotiate "a bit" and at the end i bought the car for 800€ (about 1.000$), which is a very good price here in germany for such a car.

And this is it:
(Cadillac next to my Mark IV)

rear:

Ok, and that is the condition:
- front bumper is bent, but chrome is ok
- rear bumper is straight, but chrome is worn
- broken bumper filler
- worn vinyl top
- worn tires
- missing emblems
- engine (HT4100) runs perfect
- transmission needs rebuilt. no movement in reverse
- brakes, suspension like new
- seats like new
- headliner hangs down locally
- some electrical things aren't working
- almost no rust (only surface. undercarriage is like new)
- car is 100% original (exept for stupid german conversions to the turn signals, parking lights, cornering lights, sidemarkers....)

I have a Carfax report and it seems that 30.000 Miles are original.

So far... in february i took the car with me. It drives like a cloud. Awesome!
It only is difficult to remember the missing reverse.... sometimes i had to push the car back on road.

Cadillac at arriving.

Ok. I only can put 15 images in one post so i will distribute the progress to the next posts.

Regards
Felix

See less See more
#35 ·
Thanks alot,

@ Robin Banx,
great hint with the ISC Motor. I was wondering, what's pumping there, but you're right, it is the ISC Motor.
I made a short video to be sure.
I will set is as described in the Service Manual, but at first I need the ECC Control Module to check out for trouble codes.

I also made a picture. Anybody knows, what is the upper green plug is for? It is disconnected.

I have another problem. The car doesn't have enough vacuum. I take notice when braking. It is almost like without brake boost. (If I am driving a minute, brake boost is normal)
Cruise control is not able to work properly too. I take notice of a movement in the throttle pedal, but it is not strong enough to hold the speed.

So I have to look for a vacuum leak. Could it be possible, that the vacuum pump is worn? Is it common? How can I test it, if I wont find a vacuum leak?

@ Robin Banx,
great, that we own almost same cars.
Do you have some pics of yours, what are the differences? Yours is in Woodland Haze too?

Best Regards
Felix

#36 ·
I believe the green plug is used for electrical testing, but I'm not sure what plugs into it and what it is testing. Others could tell you better. My 1987 Brougham (5.0L V8) has the same thing.

Regarding your cruise control not holding speed; I've had a couple of cars that had the same problem (1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (3.8L V6), 1986 Chevrolet Caprice (5.0L V8)) and a friend's 1988 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser (5.0L V8) also had the same problem...I recall hearing that this is a somewhat common problem with GM cruise control systems. If I remember correctly, it is a vacuum leak causing the problem. I never got mine fixed (never had the money or the know-how) and it was over 20 years ago, so I cannot remember exactly what was needed to fix the problem. Hopefully others can chime in with the solution for you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

#37 ·
Felix, it looks as if your A/C compressor belt tension lock bolt and block is missing. I will snap a photo of mine and try to post it here but up to now I have never been able to post pix from "My Pictures" folder to the forum. And yes my car is the same colour as yours but is called "Light Briar Brown" as far as I know. On the firewall tag it shows 62 top and 62 bottom. I will try to send you a PM.

Cheers..........R.

#40 ·
Hi,
today i looked for the vacuum system.
There is no leak and the pump is connected correctly.
The service manual says that the vacuum pump has to reach at least 29". I checked mine with a vacuum gauge and it reaches ~10", so it is totally worn.
I will repace the pump and it should be enough vacuum again.
Regards
Felix

#41 ·
Hi, today the ECC Control Head arrived.
Now the Fuel Monitor works great. ECC too, but the blower and AC doesn't work. Could it be possible that the power module on top of the evap. core is broken too? Seems to be typical.

Trouble Codes:
27: "Open Throttle Switch Circuit"
33: "Map/Baro Sensor Correlation"
52: "ECM Memory Reset Indicator"

I haven't look for the solutions yet to repair them. Maybe anybody have ideas for them?

Thanks
Felix

#42 ·
"the 52 code will set every time the battery is disconnected. It will disappear after a number of engine starts. Disconnecting the battery is almost always a bad idea. When power is disconnected: the RAM of the computer is wiped-out and the control system reverts to the default ROM to run everything engine related. The ROM was used when everything was brand-new out of the box. The RAM is what the computer uses to 'tweak' the control systems in order to obtain the best possible performance given the less than brand-new out of the box conditions. Until the RAM is rebuilt the engine will not perform the best it can. RAM is the 'learned history' and dumping it isn't a good idea."

27: Likely the ISC motor will need to be replaced...although some have dissassembled the ISC motor and cleaned and lubed the closed throttle switch contacts with success.....

e33 - Open MAP Sensor Signal (make sure MAP sensor is plugged in or replace)

#43 ·
Thanks a lot for the tips.
The battery was disconnected, because as I bought the car, there were no battery in. But now the battery is fastened in permanently.

The ISC Motor needs to be set again anyway. Maybe some has disconnected it sometimes and havent connected it the right way.

Thank you for the tip with the MAP sensor. I will replace it.

When i read out the trouble codes, the "outside temp" lamp was on too. The service manual says something with A/C cluth operation.
I made a short video of the trouble codes.

Anything I made wrong? Does it say anything else information?

Thanks
Felix

#45 ·
Are you sure?

I think, lacville78 is correct.
My service manual says:

"Code 52 indicates that the "long term" memory in the ECM has been reset.
This will be the case whenever power is removed from the ECM (i.e. disconnecting battery cables, disconnectin P-1 (blue) ECM connector, etc.)
This code should be "cleared" from memory after resoring the ECM's power supply."

#47 ·
Love how you jump in a 30 year old Cadillac with worn tires, drive it home in the snow, then rebuild the transmission like it was nothing. You have a fine looking car there Felix and it is loaded compared to mine. I don't have d'Elegance, rear window defroster or memory driver's seat. Mine is a 1986 with the 307 V8. I just clicked on the link to your site. If it wasn't so late here in Los Angeles (0130) I would check out the Mark IV restoration right now. Very impressive site. You even have the interior colors and all the detail! Can't wait to enjoy it tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing all of your hard work!

#49 ·
A big Thanks to you! I really appreciate it.

I haven't driven the car at home without any plan. First thing I have done was to look if the correct coolant was in (and it was)
I checked the brakes, oil and so on. (trans was leaky a bit)

Ok, today I made some more tests.
I made a full diagnosis. Every switch and sensor is working properly. I set the ISC Motor, it doesn't make that "bump bump" anymore.
Trouble codes are cleared too. Now it only shows Code 33. I haven't look for the MAP Sensor yet.

Looked for the blower motor too. It was dead all the time. I have seen the blower motor cable wasn't connected to the motor. After I put it on, the blower motor startet to full rpm.
I made a little video of it. While I made it, the rpm went down. It doesn't do the things, you set at the control panel. So it looks like the power module is broken too.
The blower motor has a bad bearing. Maybe I am able to repair it, but I think i will order a new one at RA.

Any more minds?

Regards from Germany
Felix

#51 ·
You have also a fuel trip computer :D . As far as I am concerned , this is a rare option available in these car clads ;)

Reactions: grauhst
#52 ·
@ lacville,
you're right, I like it way more than the 70's buzzers too.

@ Cadillacboy,
Fuel Data Panel is awesome! Mileage (instant and average), Range and Fuel used are great options.
But it was standard on all HT4100 models and is called Digital Fuel Injection. That's why I don't dislike this engine that much. (Is it written correctly?:hmm:)
Later models didn't have these gimmicks.

It is great to work with. I made a full diagnosis and I read out throttle angle, coolant temperature, manufold temperature, sensor pressure, vehicle speed, rpm and so on. It is quite interesting, because it is a 30 years old vehicle and the whole diagnosis is working perfect.

Regards
Felix

#53 ·
Felix the MPG indicator always went with the fuel injected engines like the HT4100 and the V864 because the computer could pick up the fuel usage from the injection system. In the carburetor cars that came next, with the Oldsmobile V8, they couldn't have that. Don't know if MPG display was available in the 90+ model cars as part of the digital dash. Most of those cars have the Chevy V8 with fuel injection, at least TBI.

#55 ·
Thanks a lot.
I would like to have learned to drive in a Cadillac, but I had to do it in an ugly Audi A3 Diesel. :rolleyes:

Today I checked the power module again. Yes, I have to replace it.

Blower motor and power module disassembled. I am overhauling the motor right now, a bearing is worn.

Power module...

Furthermore I repaired the storage bag at the back of the driver seat.

Regards
Felix

#56 ·
Don't worry, I haven't forget this threat. :)
Will go forward with bigger progressing steps later this month but first I have two questions.
How I can find the MAP sensor? I read something about that it is behind the instrument cluster, isn't it? How can I go to it because I want to replace it with a new one.
Second question, I am looking for paint. It should be the original lacquer, paint code 62 (Woodland Haze). Was only used on 83-84 Cadillacs.
Can anybody help me? Would like to repair some spots in the paint and there are the bumper filler too...
Would need the paint and anything else. (correct primer and so on)

Btw 3 days ago the Cadillac celebrates it's 30th official birthday. So now I can go for a german historic registration called "H-Plate". Very advantageous to taxes and insurance fees.

Regards from Germany
Felix

----------

This is a pic of the buck tag.

Felix

#62 ·
.....question, I am looking for paint. It should be the original lacquer, paint code 62 (Woodland Haze). Was only used on 83-84 Cadillacs.
Can anybody help me? Would like to repair some spots in the paint and there are the bumper filler too...
Would need the paint and anything else. (correct primer and so on)

Btw 3 days ago the Cadillac celebrates it's 30th official birthday. So now I can go for a german historic registration called "H-Plate". Very advantageous to taxes and insurance fees.

Hi Felix,

These are a couple of links others have posted in the past. I am not familiar with them personally but perhaps someone will advise with personal experiences with these companies.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/
http://www.touchuppaintonline.com/

Great news that you can get it "officially" on the road!:happybday4::bday23::cheer::cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.