1983 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance Project - Page 14
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree215Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1983 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Your Fleetwood Brougham must be quite a sight on the roads of Germany Felix! I am very interested in your ...
    Seville fan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: 1983 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance Project

Your Fleetwood Brougham must be quite a sight on the roads of Germany Felix! I am very interested in your opinion of the handling difference between your Cadillac and Lincoln. I've never driven one of those Marks but do remember being disappointed with the steering feel on my Dad's Mercury Cougar, a supposedly sportier car than the Mark.

When i got my '86 Brougham I expected to like the ride and comfort (and of course the styling) but the biggest surprise was how well the car handled. Feels like the engine is down low and far back in the chassis, which I know it is. My car has the cast iron Olds small block V8 and a factory rear stabilizer bar. Your car with the lighter HT4100 should feel even better in the turns.

So how would you describe the difference in handling, and steering feel, between the Cadillac and Lincoln? How about the ride, and anything else?

Congrats on passing your inspection!
    grauhst likes this.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by grauhst View Post
    TÜV passed... Yeeeeha!! :b anana:

Everything is fine. Brakes are like new, drivetrain same... the undercarriage looks like it almost came right from the factory. Even no surface rust.
    This definately proves the original 31.000 miles.
    The inspector was thrilled because of the overall shape of the car. From the outside it looks way more worse than it actually is.
    OK... it ran very rich so I have to look for the o2 sensors.

A little video of me trying to climb the bridge to Germany's biggest Island "Rügen". Quite interesting with the brutal power of the HT4100 power system...

Very happy regards
    Felix
    I see you like the temperature set the same as I have it in my car.
    It really wasn't that slow. I mean I didn't feel like getting out and pushing.
    grauhst likes this.

grauhst is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 FWB d'Elegance, 1983 Coupe Deville,1974 Lincoln Mark IV

Thank you so much.

@ jamespowers
    well it was 32°F outside. Weather forecast says on friday it will start to snow the first time this winter.

@ seville fan
    the handling difference between the Lincoln and Cadillac is huge. The Cadillac has a very direct steering, tight but soft suspension, perfect brakes...
    It handles better than a modern car (I am serious). You can feel that it is a low mile car.
    It feels better than the Lincoln although I have done everything new to the Lincoln.
    The Caddy has a great suspension. It takes rough roads way better than the Lincoln (or even modern cars, because they are way too hard)
    It is exactly how a good car should be. The only thing is the engine+transmission. That is definately the weak point on that car.

Regards
    Felix
    Seville fan and talismandave like this.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by grauhst View Post
    Thank you so much.

@ jamespowers
    well it was 32°F outside. Weather forecast says on friday it will start to snow the first time this winter.
    Yes, it is the same temperature here today. It will not snow and likely will get up to 54 though.
    This morning the Escalade was set on 90, heat seats on, heated steering wheel on and defrosters on max.
    grauhst likes this.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Thanks for the video Felix , good to hear you passed TUV , I knew your Cadillac would make it
    I reckon, you may not win any race between lights in 4100 either , but it still sounds lovely , V8 rules he he
    grauhst likes this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Well done Felix! You are the man! Like Dave said, an amazing inspiration to us wrenchers with no garage, no fancy tools, and no problems

Keep it up! The ol' Cadillac is lookin' GOOD!
    grauhst likes this.

Thank you so much.

Yesterday we got the first snow this winter and just when I was buying groceries.

But the car handled well in the snow with it's new tires.
    Unfortunately rear window defroster and outside mirror heater aren't working. The relay is ok so it should be a problem with the wiring. I will check that later... now it's cold outside.
    Cruise control isn't working too...

Well.. there is still something to do but I am sure that I will find solutions for those little problems. Most important parts are the engine running and getting a registration. I am waiting for the insurance to register it.

Best Regards from cold and very windy Germany (we had a huge storm the last days)
    Felix

Cadillacboy likes this.

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

Do they use salt on the roads when it snows in your part of the world?? Salt is the worst enemy of old Cadillacs ever. Up to now I would say that your car has seen very little salt if any.

Cheers........R.

Unfortunately they do!
    I hate that but I have no other choice. My Lincoln is standing every winter so I needed another car to drive in winter. That's why I bought the Cadillac. I don't wanted a car in perfect shape because it would be a shame to use it during the winter.

Meanwhile I think it is to good for winter driving too but I only have the Lincoln and the Cadillac. No other cars... (and I don't want to own moden cars)

I will drive as less as possible when there is salt on the roads and wash it frequently.

Regards
    Felix

In that case, I would look at cleaning the underside in the spring (after all your mechanical work is done) and then brushing some flat black paint (Tremclad is good) on the bare steel (suspension and drive line parts). Then take the car to a Ziebart shop and have the entire underside, inner panels and door bottoms shot with Ziebart rust proofing. That should give you lots of years of winter driving before the body rusts out. Another bad area for rusting is the w/s posts and the sail panels. The key of course will be to not let the salt and dirt build up anywhere. The back sides of the bumpers are particularly prone to rust and will likely need the back sides media blasted before coating.

Cheers..............R.

Yes!!!

Today I registerd the Cadillac. Everything went well...
    Now I am able to move it legally.

Best Regards
    Felix
    Cadillacboy and talismandave like this.

57eldoking is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 57 Eldo Biarritz, 76 Eldo Conv, 82 FWB, 83 DeVille, 94 STS

Nice, congratulations! Is the lower plate in U.S format so it fits in its normal spot? Do you have to get any special permission for this in Germany? In Norway they won't give us US sizes, so fitting the plates can be a pain...
    grauhst likes this.

^^That could almost stand for a personalised plate which could be read with some poetic license as "Not Very Popular V8 Hengine"!!

Just teasing!..............R.
    Cadillacboy and grauhst like this.

It IS a pain to get a plate that fits. The lower one is smaller than the original plate but the only german plate that fits. I had to get an official exception approval for this (expensive...)
    It was allowed because it is for the rear and there needs to be a small plate. Nothing else fits.
    The big one is for the front. Unfortunately there is no way to get a small plate there...

Stupid....

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Banx View Post
    "Not Very Popular V8 Hengine"

@ Robin,
    NVP is the community. I live in Nordvorpommern. This is given.
    Then you can select 1 or 2 letters and 1-3 numbers. 1 letter an 1 number is very rare so I am very lucky to have V8.
    the last H stands for "Historic vehicle" (vehicles in original condition and older than 30 years)

Regards
    Felix
    Cadillacboy and talismandave like this.

57eldoking is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 57 Eldo Biarritz, 76 Eldo Conv, 82 FWB, 83 DeVille, 94 STS

Interesting info, thanks for sharing the German rules. This is how my plates look, they are made identical to how plates were here in 1982. I did however get the producer to reduce the border even further, the rear plate still rubs the paint when opening it fully to fuel unfortunately .

11455254054_006924d4f0_c.jpg

11455374593_9c186776ba_c.jpg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.