1983 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance Project - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree258Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1983 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Put in the distributor today and started with the valve train: pushrods installed the rocker arm bar with 50 Nm ...
    grauhst is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 FWB d'Elegance, 1983 Coupe Deville,1974 Lincoln Mark IV

Re: 1983 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance Project

Put in the distributor today and started with the valve train:

pushrods

installed the rocker arm bar with 50 Nm and started to install the rocker arm with pivots. Everything went fine until the last (!!!) bolt:

Took all off again, grabbed the other bar, started installing again and all threads were good on this one.

EGR valve, vacuum hoses and valve cover installed.

That's it for today.
    Best Regards
    Felix

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

You rock Felix!

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

I think you have done enough for one day.
    grauhst likes this.

Hahaha, thanks!

Today I installed most front engine brackets, the AC compressor some more stuff. Still have to clean the AC hoses.

vacuum lines. Installed the driver side vacuum line too and it was horrible. It continues at the rear of the distributor to the passenger side vacuum switch.

Another day ends.
    I am waiting for some more paint to go on. Furthermore I expect a rocker arm pivot delivery to install the driver side valve train.

Best Regards
    Felix

Oh and I forget to ask.

Could anyone tell me where this ground wire has to be attached? It is screwed to the firewall (upper red circle).
    Where does the other end belong to? Maybe the distributor? Maybe transmission? What else?
    I prefer something I uninstalled but I really forget it.

Thanks
    Felix

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

The ground strap goes to the back of the cylinder head. It grounds the engine to the body of the car. Also helps ground the wiper motor.
    grauhst likes this.

Great, thanks. I will look for a bolt or borehole where to put a bolt in.

Interesting, I can't remember that I have uninstalled something back there. I believe, this cable was loose the whole time.

Felix

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by grauhst View Post
    Great, thanks. I will look for a bolt or borehole where to put a bolt in.

Interesting, I can't remember that I have uninstalled something back there. I believe, this cable was loose the whole time.

Felix
    You will have a lot better ground for the whole car now then. Your electrical systems should be happier too. I won't even mention how much safer the electrical systems will be.
    grauhst likes this.

Hi everyone.
    I repaired the rocker arm bridge with a bolt. The rocker arm will be tightened with a nut.

Installed it and when tighten the first rocker arm, another thread came out....

So I took it out again, put another bolt in and installed it again. Now 3 of 4 rocker arms are installed. I am still waiting for the last rocker arm pivot.

The old pivot.

Painted the AC compressor brackets and istalled them with the new belt tension lock assembly.

Regards
    Felix

Hi.

I have another problem. The timing scale seems to be missed.
    I made some pics, could you tell me where it should be attached?
    Does anyone have pics of it?

bottom view

Today I installed the alternator, distributor cap, wiring harness, vacuum system and some metal support parts.

Also found this lying on the lower frame. That's why the driver side wheel housing is totally tattered. A tire exploded sometime.

Could anyone tell me if there has to be attached a vacuum hose? There is a screw in.

Regards
    Felix

----------

Ok I found it in the service manual.

Have to find a used one.

Regards
    Felix

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

The red circled part is the EGR solenoid and a piece of foam rubber was on that nipple as a crude air filter from the factory, so no vacuum hose to it. Remove the screw! When you finally tighten these belts, make sure the smog pump belt is tight before you tighten the alternator belt. A loose smog pump belt will cause slippage of the alt. belt! Also set the base timing to 12 degrees not 10 once you install the timing tab. The smog pump belt pictured seems a bit frayed, I see threads sticking out from the belt. Replace that belt! That braided ground strap should be attached to one of the transmission to engine bolts.

----------

Regarding the large gap at the rear filler to the taillight, install shims on the lower 2 bolts holding the bumper to the bumper shocks. That will tilt the top of the taillight in. Also there is some adjustment that can be made at the taillight housing to the face of the bumper. Loosen the taillight housing bolts and have someone push on it while you retighten those bolts.
    grauhst likes this.

Thanks. You're right, the belts should be replaced and I will do it soon.

I have installed everything back except for the parts around the driver side valve cover.
    Still waiting for the pivot. I got one but ..... it was the wrong side...

I hope it will arrive tomorrow or on tuesday together with a used timing scale and a set of spark wire clips (those attached to the valve cover bolts).

Have painted most of the parts but due to the wet, cold and windy weather it is not possible to paint them glossy. The paint everytime went mat. You can see it on the outer painted braces and the radiator bracket. Knowing that I just don't tried to paint the front brace and installed them rusty again.
    I will paint these parts in the next summer. Some other cosmetical is planned too (decals, air cleaner, coolant recovery tank and so on...).
    That's no big deal later.

I dismantled the TPS Motor to set it. It was fully extended. Now it is like described in the service manual. There is a gap now, is it correct?

Best Regards
    Felix

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

That looks OK. gap should be approx. .060 inch. Best to adjust it after the car is running and up to temperature. It is retracted by constant pressure on the shaft with your thumb till it bottoms out with the engine running, then QUICKLY unplugging the harness to it. Its called the idle speed controller ( ISC) The TPS (throttle position sensor) is on the passenger side of the throttle body. If adjusted correctly, it will extend to open the throttle as you turn the ignition key from off to "run" then once the car starts it will slowly retract as the engine comes up to temperature. Sort of like a very simple fast idle to quickly warm up the cat. converter and maintain drive ability till warmed up.
    grauhst likes this.

Yes you're correct, it is the ISC motor.
    But as I understand it correct in the service manual, there should be a gap when it is unretracted. Now I set it with a gap in it's retracted position.
    So it has to be unretracted and doesn't contact the throttle lever when idling?
    If so it was totally set incorrectly the whole time since buying the car.
    Service manual says "Do not power the ISC motor in the fully retracted position for more than 4 seconds or ECM damage may occur".
    But mine was always retracted.... at least half a year
    I hope there is nothing wrong with my ECM.
    Ok I will set it again.

Regards
    Felix

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

The ISC is exactly that. Idle Speed Control. Your service manual will tell you that there is no way (nor is it necessary) to set the idle speed manually by trying to set the gap between the throttle arm and the ISC motor. As you did before, with the engine running at off-idle speed (1200 - 1500 rpm held manually), manually push the ISC plunger in as far as it will go and then disconnect the electronic harness from it. Release the throttle arm and the engine idle should drop to 350 rpm or so. This is the time to look for a small gap between the plunger and the throttle arm. Then repeat the reconnect steps as shown in the service manual. When you turn the ignition on, the ISC plunger should come out prior to start up to give the engine a fast idle condition when it does start. The computer will be in complete control of the idle speed function. As the engine temperature rises, the ISC plunger should slowly retract until a normal warm-engine idle (650 - 700 rpm) is attained. And that's how I remember it. I could be wrong so read the FS Manual carefully.

Cheers...........R.
    Cadillacboy and grauhst like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.