spindle nut 1990 brougham - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, spindle nut 1990 brougham in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Where are you? Maybe one of us is local. If not, we'll get you through it, explaining, pics, videos. Just ...
    jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: spindle nut 1990 brougham

Where are you? Maybe one of us is local. If not, we'll get you through it, explaining, pics, videos. Just don't do anything without checking first.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I'll bet there are videos on youtube explaining it. Like said before, it's pretty easy, but if you have never seen any of it done before, simple mistakes can be made.

Johnny Kaka is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Brougham

I am really thankful for everyone helping out here. I was a bit ashamed of my ignorance, but I'd really prefer to know how to properly fix the brakes on my cad without a mechanic. When I took off the wheel, I knew I was in for a ride. I thought all rotors just slipped over the bolts and it would be a simple job. I have found a bunch of videos. I can take pics as well if need be. I will probably need a lot more help in the days to come, if you guys don't mind hanging with me.
    Currently I have installed the old bearings in the rotor, replaced the seal (the new one has a lip on it - is that to prevent damage when removing? The last seal had no lip and I bashed it up pretty good.) and installed the rotor onto the spindle.the front bearings are installed as well as the washer and spindle nut. I re-packed the new bearing cases with grease, as per the video suggested (which was very helpful, thank you!). The inside of the rotor in the front has been slathered with grease as well. Rotor spins nicely, maybe for about 1 revolution on it's own. The only thing missing from this side is the cotter pin. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Autozone didn't have any. Just hairpins.
    I have watched a bunch of videos. It looks fairly simple, but I have lost a little confidence since realizing I didn't know what kind of rotor I had. I live on a hill, and I'm petrified of botching this and wrecking my car or hurting someone.

right now I'm going to hunt down a cotter pin and get the calipers and new shoes back on. What should I be looking out for before installing the calipers? Is there something small that I could miss and screw it up? I have not bled them at all. they are hanging from a zip tie in the wheel well.

Maybe I should mention what brought this on. The brakes have been pulsating pretty badly since I got it. I assumed it was a warped rotor. I could even feel it on the right side. But they were very strong, so I figured I could leave the rotor change until after some other things that need attention (the rear shocks need replacement - they're shot.) A few weeks back, the brakes became very spongy, to an uncomfortable degree. I was pumping the pedal and driving slowly since then, and I knew this had to get done immediately. What I thought was that the rotor has shifted and/or become unstable and is causing excessive play in the brakes. This is why I started the project in my garage this weekend. I just didn't anticipate not knowing what I was doing! I'm determined to fix and learn this car without taking it somewhere. But I would rather do it right the first time and not have any catastrophes. I suppose I could have done some more research before starting. But with youtube, the factory manual, and most of all this site, I feel like I am in good shape.
    Thanks everybody.

If the rotor is warped, you need to either put on new rotors, or remove them again, take them to the parts store, get them turned, and do the reinstall all over. Any parts store will have the pin you need for the castle nut. We call them cotter pins, but they aren't, they are a straight pin that you pass through, then bend the ends back over then nut. You MUST put the correct preload on the nut! While you are at the parts store, get new pads, new slide pins, and a caliper slider service kit (slides and o rings).

Get back to us after you have all that stuff... also, can you take pictures and post them as you do things? This way we can try and make sure you are doing things correctly. It's important to understand that if you don't get this right, you could easily kill yourself or others. Not trying to scare you, this isn't a difficult job, it just needs to be done right.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

I just did this same process to my 87 brougham before winter. It was my first time doing it, also. I ordered new rotors/hubs, new bearings (inner and outer), new "cotter pin" (which as Jay said isn't really a cotter pin), new calipers and new pads.

As Jay suggested I used some channel lock pilars to get my castle nut off.

To pack the bearings I used some lucas "think n tacky" red bearing grease. Put a glob in the palm of your hand and tap the bottom of the bearing into the glob repeatedly until you see the greasing coming out the top side of it. After they are packed I smeared some grease into the hub's race and pushed the bearings into place.

I smeared some more on my spindle and put the hubs on, then the outer bearings and the castle nut. I tightened it down with my channel locks and then backed it out to "just tight".

The only problem I ran into was getting the calipers off. My caliper bolts were rusted pretty good and one of them the hex hole for the key was rounded. I sprayed it down with some pb blaster and the next day it turned easy with some vice grips.

I've put a couple hundred miles on the car since then and it rolls great, stops great, no bearing or brake problems.

Hope that helps.

----------

Also check this out from when I did it:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-bearings.html

Maybe some good info for you.

I have new rotors, new shoes, but I'm using the old bearings. Is that wrong? Should I get new ones? I repacked them with new grease. A friend of mine mentioned "preloading" the bearings. I don't exactly get what he means. I am not replacing calipers at this point, will I still need to bleed them?

By slide pins, you don't mean the housing bolts right?
    http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...03W_0297459431
    That's what the Napa people keep telling me I need. My housing bolts are fine as far as I can tell. What is the slide pin? I have this:
    http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...342_0197981649
    but I think there is a bolt that goes inside? Not sure how to proceed.
    - JayoldSchool, I know exactly what you're saying, and I promise not to move this vehicle until I'm 100%. When I get back from work, I'll start posting some pics of what I'm doing.

You're on the right track. Those two links are exactly what you need. The bolts and the bushings. Lube the slider HOUSING BOLTS with the correct high temp brake lube, same for the CALIPER BOLT SLEEVE (and check the O rings inside the mount, replace if needed). Also, I always reuse bearings with new rotors. Unless the bearings are damaged, I don't replace. I clean carefully, repack, and install. New seal on the back, install with a piece of wood, or my favourite tool, a hockey puck. No need to bleed unless you opened a line. You will need a big C clamp or a brake piston tool (I use C clamp) to push the piston back in the bore to give clearance for the new pads. Take the master cylinder cover off when you do this.

Here's the way I preload the bearings. Others may do it different. There are how tos out there, read, watch videos. Install rotor on spindle. Add outer bearing. Add spacer. Add nut. Tighten nut by hand. Grab nut with slip joint pliers. Start turning rotor with one hand while tightening the nut with the pliers. When you begin to feel drag on the rotor, stop tightening. Back the nut off to the hole in the spindle, insert the pin that's not called a cotter pin (lol), bend the ends back, cut the extra off, hammer the dust cap in place, give the rotor a spin to check that it is turning freely, grab the rotor edges to make sure there is no play, do the pads/caliper, repeat on the other side. I've done a lot of GM RWD front brakes in the past 25 years, and I have yet to damage a race/bearing/rotor/spindle.

castle-nut-and-pin.png

this is what I came up with. I preloaded the bearing as instructed. when I backed off, I was spinning the rotor, and it tightened the nut on its own. Pin is in and bent. I wiped a bunch of grease out of the way so we could see.

old-pins-new-stuff.png

This is what I got at Autozone. slides seals, clips and grease. The old pins are pictured. Once I cleaned them I saw that maybe they need replacing!

Next step is the calipers.

old-pins.png

Jay, you were right. These pins are shot. At least they look shot to me.

I've reused much worse but always regretted it. Now when I pull them if there's any signs of rust or roughness I replace them. Cheap enough.

I installed everything else last night. Everything looks ok but the outer pad is a bit loose. won't this cause rattling/clunking when I hit bumps? is there a clip I can get for the outer pad? Also, the pads are rubbing on the rotor. Will this resolve when I start the car and push in the brake pedal?

If you can spin the rotor with one hand with a little (not much) drag with the pads and caliper on, things should be good. Make sure you pump the pedal a couple times before driving, and double check the level of fluid in the master. Take it easy on the first drive. You may want to look up the procedure on "bedding brake pads".

I would like to do that, but I live in a crowded NJ area, and it will be hard to get up to 60 on a back country road. I'd get rear ended doing it at any time on the highway. (I might get away with it if I went out at 3 am).
    There's a good chance I'll have to bleed all four brakes. I'm told this is very easy, but I'm more nervous about that than anything else. Is it as simple as running a tube to an oil pan, opening the Bleeder valve, having someone press the brake pedal all the way in, and closing the valve while the pedal is still in? what could I do to screw up a bleed?

Don't worry about bedding them, they'll still work fine. Why do you think you need to bleed? And, no, that's not how you bleed.

The brakes are still very mushy. The brake fluid looks very dark. Now that I have new pads and rotors, I can hear air when I hit the brake pedal. I have heard and read that was how you bleed brakes, but that isn't exactly how the manual describes it. So that is what I want to figure out how to do next. How difficult is it?

It's easy. When I did my 87 I went to napa and got a "break bleeder kit" for like $5. It was just a little bottle with a magnet on it and some tubes. Hooked the tubes to the bleeder screws and opened them, then pumped the brakes a little, watching the tube to see any bubbles. Also keep an eye on your fluid level in the master cylinder. When no more bubbles are seen I closed the bleeder and that was it, I believe.

A quick google search nets you lots of youtube videos and how-to articles for doing it alone or with a partner.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.