Pinstripping for my 79 Phaeton.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Pinstripping for my 79 Phaeton. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; As the title says I am looking to replace the original pinstripping on my 79 Phaeton. The restoration is continuing ...
    guyrobert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 deville phaeton, 1957 Eldorado Biarritz

Pinstripping for my 79 Phaeton.

As the title says I am looking to replace the original pinstripping on my 79 Phaeton.
    The restoration is continuing and I am still chasing bits and pieces, mostly interior parts now.
    I am waiting on the body shop down the street to paint the car and am wondering how I can replace the side and trunk pinstripping? Also can anyone give tips on the correct color of stripe?
    My Phaeton is the arizona firemist copper color.
    Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Re: Pinstripping for my 79 Phaeton.

I believe the correct color of your car is western saddle firemist, pinstripe color is beige and code is either L for beige or U for saddle

Quote Originally Posted by 1980coupe View Post
    I believe the correct color of your car is western saddle firemist, pinstripe color is beige and code is either L for beige or U for saddle
    Thanks for the info,
    Is there a place you can direct me to that would have replacement pistripes?

here is a pic

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

Auto body supply house.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Any paint supply place should have it. The body shop you're dealing with should have no problem with it too. The factory stuff is usually painted on.

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    Any paint supply place should have it. The body shop you're dealing with should have no problem with it too. The factory stuff is usually painted on.
    You don't know my Body shop! All they do is imports, he is very close - 2 doors down so I can keep an eye on him but like most shops here they don't care about details they just want it out the door. I will pop by and take a couple of pics
    Cheers

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

The color name for our cars is indeed Western Saddle Firemist(#96). The original pinstripe was also Saddle, the same pinstripe most any Cadillac with an Antique Saddle interior would likely have had (and every single Western Saddle Firemist Phaeton package). 1980Coupe said the code for the Saddle stripe was 'U'... I'll take his word for that. It always seemed so weird to me that Cadillac chose to put a saddle pinstripe directly over Western Saddle Firemist. I was never fond of the orange-ish cast of the pinstripe when viewed over the paint.

What was *really* bad was; when I bought mine (same car as yours), someone had repaired an accident with nearly fluorescent orange pinstripe tape, and; I guess to blend it, laid a dark brown tape stripe over the bottom pinstripe all over the car... And added striping around all the bodylines of the trunk... In matching godawful orange & brown...

I've seen these often with dark brown pinstripes to match the top. Personally, I think the contrast is too much, but it's not a horrible look at all. The Phaeton used in Goodfellas had a light gold metallic pinstripe. I loved it, and had mine done the same way after I had it painted. It's a subtle contrast, but looks great when the sun hits the metallic champagne stripe over the Western Saddle Firemist. It also pulls together that beige-ish color every steering wheel put into these cars faded to, and the *somewhat* color matched body side molding, lol. I'll see if I can find some example pics...

I've also seen a bright red stripe over Saddle.... I was not amused. However I wonder how a plain beige would look, or even metallic silver. Just thinking out loud...

This is the correct original color, on a pristine original.:

Here's how mine looked when I bought it with the orange & brown... *shudders*

A portion of the original saddle, with the brown tape over one stripe:

My light gold pinstripes:

The Phaeton in Goodfellas with light gold stripes:

----------

Don't forget to have them re-install the Phaeton scripts on the rear quarters in the correct location, above the side trim.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

I'll put my vote in for the gold metallic.
    Looks great!
    Benzilla and Benzilla like this.

It is the correct color code and that's from my 1980 Exterior selection binder, it lists all the codes for all exterior colors, vinyl tops and accent stripe. It even suggests trim combinations which is pretty cool..the original pinstripe on my car is Saddle with the Colonial Yellow exterior and matching top with Antique Saddle interior, but since I couldn't find the pinstripe and didn't want to fuss with a body shop to paint one so, I just slapped on a black one. Looks good to me...

----------

Hey Ben,
    did you put yours upside down? I mean, isn't the thicker stripe go on top and the thin one on the bottom?
    The Goodfellas car pictured has it the way I mentioned ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ???

apologize for the size, but this is how it uploaded and didn't want to fuss on resizing it..

Shows all the codes for the accent stripes

EDIT- nevermind about the size, it looked smaller in my files than here...
    guyrobert and guyrobert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Benzilla View Post
    The color name for our cars is indeed Western Saddle Firemist(#96). The original pinstripe was also Saddle, the same pinstripe most any Cadillac with an Antique Saddle interior would likely have had (and every single Western Saddle Firemist Phaeton package). 1980Coupe said the code for the Saddle stripe was 'U'... I'll take his word for that. It always seemed so weird to me that Cadillac chose to put a saddle pinstripe directly over Western Saddle Firemist. I was never fond of the orange-ish cast of the pinstripe when viewed over the paint.

What was *really* bad was; when I bought mine (same car as yours), someone had repaired an accident with nearly fluorescent orange pinstripe tape, and; I guess to blend it, laid a dark brown tape stripe over the bottom pinstripe all over the car... And added striping around all the bodylines of the trunk... In matching godawful orange & brown...

I've seen these often with dark brown pinstripes to match the top. Personally, I think the contrast is too much, but it's not a horrible look at all. The Phaeton used in Goodfellas had a light gold metallic pinstripe. I loved it, and had mine done the same way after I had it painted. It's a subtle contrast, but looks great when the sun hits the metallic champagne stripe over the Western Saddle Firemist. It also pulls together that beige-ish color every steering wheel put into these cars faded to, and the *somewhat* color matched body side molding, lol. I'll see if I can find some example pics...

I've also seen a bright red stripe over Saddle.... I was not amused. However I wonder how a plain beige would look, or even metallic silver. Just thinking out loud...

This is the correct original color, on a pristine original.:

Here's how mine looked when I bought it with the orange & brown... *shudders*

A portion of the original saddle, with the brown tape over one stripe:

My light gold pinstripes:

The Phaeton in Goodfellas with light gold stripes:

----------

Don't forget to have them re-install the Phaeton scripts on the rear quarters in the correct location, above the side trim.
    Thanks Ben, That's great info, I also like the gold and will use that. The car currently has dark brown and it stands out a bit to much for my liking, and there is nothing on the trunk.
    How will they get the trunk pinstriping to look correct with the closed pointed ends (at the ends of the stripe)?

Also have the same problem with the aftermarket side molding, it has square ends when the factory has pointed.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

If they are using tape stripes, they simply cut the ends and bring them together.

Personally, I think the orange looks strange, and the gold looks too light. A chocolate brown would be my choice.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

That original phaeton stuff isn't the typical factory style pinstriping. Then again the phaeton was also wasn't your typical deville either.
    I think the gold stuff looks better but brown would look OK too and matches the roof.

Does anyone, (Ben?) have a picture of the correct pinstripes on the trunk?

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

1980Coupe: Yes, my stripes are installed opposite from original. My painter did it, but the whole car looked so great & he came in under quote, so it didn't bother me enough to have him redo it. Just tape, I don't remember the company, but I think the number was #84, and the name was Light Gold Metallic.

Brougham: All the Phaetons with original paint I've seen have the standard pinstriping like any other '78-79 DeVille / Fleetwood with the option. It was only mine that had the funky striping on the top of the trunk lid.

Here's some more pictures!

Correct trunk striping. Note the sharp corners on the upper edges.

More of Goodfellas, it didn't even have a stripe on the trunk... Looks weird without it.

I also have a red & white '79 project car, it was a repaint & didn't have a trunk stripe. So I decided to practice on it, and eyeballed my own factory style pinstripe. Still on several years later. Getting the upper corners right is hard, because you have to make some precise cuts, but it looks awesome when it's done that way.

guyrobert and guyrobert like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.