Stalled while driving, cranks but will not restart - likely spark problem... 1979 CDV - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Stalled while driving, cranks but will not restart - likely spark problem... 1979 CDV in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by cadillac_al It probably wouldn't hurt to make sure the dist hot wire has 12 volts before you ...
    csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Re: Stalled while driving, cranks but will not restart - likely spark problem... 1979

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    It probably wouldn't hurt to make sure the dist hot wire has 12 volts before you replace anything.
    This would be my next move just to make sure your fusible link is still good.

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV
    It was the module! Replaced it with an ac delco, and the car started right up.

One problem: I took it for a test drive, and it's making a high-pitched electrical squeal sound. Like a street light. Came home, left it running & popped the hood. It's coming from the distributor, and with the hood open I could hear random sparking. Car ran fine, this is new... Any ideas?

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Stalled while driving, cranks but will not restart - likely spark problem... 1979

Put dilectric grease in the plug boots, and make sure they're on snug.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Pull the cap and verify the rotor is not hitting any thing inside.

Thank, will double check, but I'm very careful, double checked everything or so I thought. Can I find dilectric grease at auto parts stores? Old cap had none on it, figured I'd be ok without. Will check cap & rotor again... all looked fine on installation. Plugs are definitely on tight, checked.

Will update.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Quote Originally Posted by Benzilla View Post
    It was the module! Replaced it with an ac delco, and the car started right up.

One problem: I took it for a test drive, and it's making a high-pitched electrical squeal sound. Like a street light. Came home, left it running & popped the hood. It's coming from the distributor, and with the hood open I could hear random sparking. Car ran fine, this is new... Any ideas?
    I told you it was the module...

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

You are supposed to put dielectric grease on the metal plate on the base of the module. The grease is also to be used n the rubber seal on the top of the cap. You can use Vaseline in lieu of packaged dielectric grease.

Quote Originally Posted by 1980coupe View Post
    I told you it was the module...
    I never said it wasn't, just said I'd be disappointed if it was. Who actually says 'I told you so' as a response to something getting fixed? lol

Quote Originally Posted by deVille33 View Post
    You are supposed to put dielectric grease on the metal plate on the base of the module. The grease is also to be used n the rubber seal on the top of the cap. You can use Vaseline in lieu of packaged dielectric grease.
    I used that on the module, just didn't know that's what it was called. Any time I see it's it's this tiny packet that's just described as a special heat sauce or some sh*t, like it's supposed to go on a whopper or something. I wasn't even sure where to find it without buying it with a module.

Here's a video of the sound I'm trying to describe. Went out this morning & made sure everything was on tight & straight. Took the rotor off & made sure the module was connected right. Checked the carbon button, contacts.... everything looks perfect & new. Plugs are on tight, cap is seated firmly. Rechecked all ignition coil wiring... I can't find a thing wrong. I'll try putting vasoline under the spark plug wire boots. I never would have thought to do that, ran fine for me 15,000 miles & 7 years without lube on the wires.

VIDEO - You can hear the squeal pretty well, like giant crickets. A random zap happens just before I walk away to end the video, listen for it. Keep in mind it didn't do this until I was replacing parts yesterday.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agnO4CutcC8

Update,

I took the whole distributor out to make sure the shaft wasn't seizing up or something. I can not get it to squeal spinning it by hand. It spins freely, and quietly. Feels well oiled & healthy. From the google research I did, I thought maybe the shaft was about to lock up or something. Most people with that problem were able to feel resistance while turning it by hand. Mine feels fine. It definitely didn't make this sound before the new parts, it's very noticeable while driving or just standing next to the car once it idles down all the way. Checked all to the belts too for the hell of it. Does not change with rpm or speed, just constant while the engine is running.

Still hunting..

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

It sure sounds bad. I don't recognize it at all. I can't imagine how a module could cause that. When you put the dist in does it seat all the way down on the manifold? It seems like half of the distributors that I put in over the last few years don't seat all the way. I have put double gaskets on a few because I'm scared of cranking it down too tight and hurting the dist gear or oil pump.

guyrobert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 deville phaeton, 1957 Eldorado Biarritz

My air con belt was a titch loose/worn and caused a squealing sound like that, replaced it and it went away.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    It sure sounds bad. I don't recognize it at all. I can't imagine how a module could cause that. When you put the dist in does it seat all the way down on the manifold? It seems like half of the distributors that I put in over the last few years don't seat all the way. I have put double gaskets on a few because I'm scared of cranking it down too tight and hurting the dist gear or oil pump.
    Yeah, distributor fits perfectly, drops down flat. That sounds like a pretty big deal, lol! I'd feel pretty uneasy driving with that problem.

A friend suggested that it might be the rotor is too long, & making contact with the cap contacts while it's spinning. So tomorrow I'll try my old cap & rotor with everything else the same & see if the sound goes away. After that, about all that's left is the new coil.

Will report back.
    -Ben

YES!!! Swapped in the old cap & rotor, started it; sound GONE. I'm thrilled that we figured it out, while simultaneously horrified by such a big problem on AC Delco's part... a Brand new cap & rotor, from the same company, shouldn't clash with each other! Visually, the old & new parts look functionally identical to the naked eye, must be the slightest difference just completely messed it up.

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone!

Ben

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

With some of the early large cap HEI's there were some produced that had different clearances between the rotor edge and the terminal contacts. Oldsmobile come to mind. Could be one of the parts were boxed wrong or a parts man picked up the wrong part number.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.