Rechroming outrage!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Rechroming outrage! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just got quoted $900 to re-chrome just the top portion of my E&G Grill... seriously? I know re-chroming is ...
    mad_caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Angry Rechroming outrage!

I just got quoted $900 to re-chrome just the top portion of my E&G Grill... seriously? I know re-chroming is not a cheap or easy process, but I think that is a little much. I can buy a BRAND NEW one for under $700.. And I can probably find a better used one if I keep looking for much less than that still. This quote was from B&L Plating in Warren MI. If anyone knows of a place with more reasonable pricing in MI, or somewhere I can ship the grill out to even, I'd like to know!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

Re: Rechroming outrage!

I heard all chrome shops have been charging an arm and a leg, something about the EPA cracking down. I would start calling all over and find a shop with a good price, then google them and see what people say; that piece is light you can ship it to the place with the best deal. I also thought maybe it would be cheap in Mexico, but I never looked into it too much.

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

Have you tried polishing it out with a power buffer? or is the Chrome itself damaged beyond repair?

mad_caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Thanks for the advice Lacville78. @YoshiMan, unfortunately the chrome on top is pretty hit, major pitting and rust spots. The rest of the grill is fine though, I would hate to just throw it away. I might just throw her up and eBay for cheap and track down a new one.

Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

That's not good news.. I was just about to start investigating how much it would cost to re-chrome my front and rear bumpers on my 94..

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

Two minor scrapes on my 83 FWB bumpers, one on the left tail light housing and the other on the right front bumper corner. Both done by other motorists so their respective insurance companies had to pay up. The chrome on my car is factory-fresh perfect so there was no talk of betterment. The tail light housing cost $650.00 to re plate and the right front front bumper corner was $500.00 Both pieces were done by the same shop in North Vancouver. I was told by the plating shop that to re plate (they don't do any bumper repair) all the pieces making up the front and rear bumpers would cost somewhere north of $4,600.00.

Cheers......R.

Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

For 4600 I'd rather put it towards my other (sacrilegious to some) idea of painting the car metallic black and molding and recreating the bumpers and stainless panels myself in bare carbon fiber for a completely different look. Not too hard when you know how and have some layup experience, just material cost approaching the same amount (not including pain). And less fun. And more itchy.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

I agree about the Chroming process going up in price. We in my Hearse Owner's group have been dealing with this for a year now, getting our custom window plaques made up and chromed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.