Brougham dual exhaust conversion.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Brougham dual exhaust conversion. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just wondering if anyone has converted to dual exhaust on the RWD Broughams? I want to install duals right from ...
    Strickland is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Brougham dual exhaust conversion.

Just wondering if anyone has converted to dual exhaust on the RWD Broughams? I want to install duals right from the manifolds back, but the stock manifolds are different ( 1990 Brougham D'elegance with 5.7L). Just wondering which manifolds will fit and what to do about the air injection tubes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    You can do dual exhaust using the stock exhaust manifolds. I ran dual exhaust down one side and also had them going down each side of the car with a notched exhaust under the crossmember on another car, notch the crossmember so the exhaust doesnt hang down too low. If you get headers, look for something that will fit a caprice from the 70s or 80s but post a link to what you find before you buy them. I would keep the stock exhaust manifold unless you plan on doing an aftermarket intake manifold and other mods down the road. Really open exhaust without any other mods can kill your exhaust valves in the long run and you'll lose some torque. I personally like mini-turbo mufflers with a decent bark when I hit the gas but quiet-ish at idle. Turbo mufflers/glasspacks will be loud all the time, even at idle.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Re: Brougham dual exhaust conversion.

mine has dual exhaust and I kept the stock headers. Didnt have to notch nothing. I have cherry bombs in my caddy. I have a vid but I'll upload it later...

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    I have flowtech afterburners on my brougham, along with a pypes cat back dual 2.5" system.

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

Here's a link that has some pictures of different examples. If you are running one pipe down each side then the crossmember should be notched otherwise they'll have to dip the pipe down to clear it which will make the exhaust hang kind of low. If you don't want to do that i've seen guys run systems that split into duals after the cat running down the passenger side and then split just behind the transmission into dual exhaust. Heres the link with some examples:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...st-design.html

Keep in Mind the 77-92 fullsize cadillac fullsize cars are all very similar so the exhaust routing will be the same.

paetional0 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham
    Hold on I'm uploading pics of my setup with dual magnaflows

----------

http://youtu.be/vyjYjZwFmFs

----------

http://youtu.be/7b8mUdhW8vs

----------

Old stuff but still underway
    mad_caddy and mad_caddy like this.

Id like to find a set of manifolds that both are the same (instead of the stock caddy ones where both are different from one another) from another GM that had true duals and also used the air injection tubes........ anyone know of anything??

The frame and accessories prevent you from running the same manifold. The cadillac has a frame reinforcement and tranny linkage on the drivers side that makes the manifold go down instead of back. Not sure how you would get by that.

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

Hey Sam, Did you end up keeping the brace on that runs from the rear of the transmission on the crossmember to the front of the frame? I took mine out but was thinking of making a new piece for that.

I'm not using it. Make two

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Strickland
    Id like to find a set of manifolds that both are the same (instead of the stock caddy ones where both are different from one another) from another GM that had true duals and also used the air injection tubes........ anyone know of anything??
    I'd guess chevy truck....I have a set of those manifolds floating around somewhere....I'll take a look at them.

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

There is no need to change manifolds, they have nothing to do with running duals.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    There is no need to change manifolds, they have nothing to do with running duals.
    I realize its not necessary, but Id rather find a set that are the same as one another so the duals can be symmetrical from the heads back......if that's possible.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    I'd guess chevy truck....I have a set of those manifolds floating around somewhere....I'll take a look at them.
    You think a set from a truck would fit....... any idea which year?

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Strickland View Post
    I realize its not necessary, but Id rather find a set that are the same as one another so the duals can be symmetrical from the heads back......if that's possible.
    The question is... why? GM cars that were factory equipped with duals didn't have mirror image manifolds. There's just no need for it. There is a reason why the exits of the manifolds are pointing in different directions. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    The question is... why? GM cars that were factory equipped with duals didn't have mirror image manifolds. There's just no need for it. There is a reason why the exits of the manifolds are pointing in different directions. Am I missing something?
    Oh whats the reason? My thought is just that if I could make it this way it would be a tidier setup for the duals. Just cosmetics is really the only reason I am wanting to do this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.