The 585k miles Guiness Record Holding 1979 SDV
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
Like Tree6Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, The 585k miles Guiness Record Holding 1979 SDV in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've done reading in the past about the old Big Block Cadillac engines, and heard of this car several times. ...
  1. #1
    lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    27
    Posts
    351

    The 585k miles Guiness Record Holding 1979 SDV

    I've done reading in the past about the old Big Block Cadillac engines, and heard of this car several times. I finally decided to look it up, and found the article.
    Here it is: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...1715%2C4466422

    Here is another article where the owner mentioned using Quaker State 10w-30 which was changed every 2k miles:
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...4668%2C5323579

    Pretty interesting stuff. I wonder if that car is still going and how many miles are on it now.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    392

    Re: The 585k miles Guiness Record Holding 1979 SDV

    Not Cadillac related but a neat story non the less. There is a guy in my city that owned s fleet of concrete pumper trucks. He had his original truck from when he started pumping concrete and it had over one million miles on it. He used Quaker State in all his trucks,so when he tole QS of his truck mileage the put in a brand new engine for free just so they could have the old engine for a tear down and inspection in their labs. He was one happy camper and the truck is still on the road doing what it does.

  4. #3
    1980coupe's Avatar
    1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: The 585k miles Guiness Record Holding 1979 SDV

    Had I not bought a new car and parked my 80 coupe, I probably would have passed his mark by now or maybe close to it..
    It has 350, xxx miles on it, 3 owner..me 3rd owner, duh. Lol...
    Like that old lady and her 60s mercury, I believe has way more and last I heard she retired from driving???

  5. #4
    lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    27
    Posts
    351

    Re: The 585k miles Guiness Record Holding 1979 SDV

    I also wonder if that guy had a carb or injection.

  6. #5
    YoshiMan's Avatar
    YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Age
    29
    Posts
    237

    Re: The 585k miles Guiness Record Holding 1979 SDV

    It would be hard to give up on a car Like that with those kind of miles on it, especially if you had it since new! IT seems the 77-96 RWD C and D-bodies would be one of the best automotive platforms as far as servicability goes, just because of the parts available

    I have an 89' 4Runner as well with 278k on the clock that my dad bought new in 89, i feel that i am familiar with every single solitary part of that car, and when it does blow, it's hard to imagine letting it go as opposed to putting a new engine in it... I guess it just depends on my finantial situation when it happens!

  7. #6
    MoistCabbage's Avatar
    MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Boston MA.
    Age
    26
    Posts
    18,760

  8. #7
    Cadillac Giovanni's Avatar
    Cadillac Giovanni is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Westport, MA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    867

    Re: The 585k miles Guiness Record Holding 1979 SDV

    Yowza. A Northstar with that many miles? Is it without a rebuild, though? I'd have a hard time believing that.

    We've got a Ford E-350 van at work with a V-10 that has 480,000 miles on it, no rebuild. It hauls a couple of tons of tools about 600 miles a week and never complains.

  9. #8
    MoistCabbage's Avatar
    MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Boston MA.
    Age
    26
    Posts
    18,760
    AFAIK, no major repairs to the engine. Not to start a debate, but Northstars are pretty bullet proof and hard wearing. It's not uncommon to see a disassembled one with over 100K, with honing marks still on the cylinder walls. Most never see that mileage, because the rest of the costly to maintain vehicle starts to nickel and dime the owner to death. But the drivetrain outlasting the rest of the car is pretty much how it is with all modern vehicles.

  10. #9
    Aron9000's Avatar
    Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,051

    Re: The 585k miles Guiness Record Holding 1979 SDV

    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    AFAIK, no major repairs to the engine. Not to start a debate, but Northstars are pretty bullet proof and hard wearing. It's not uncommon to see a disassembled one with over 100K, with honing marks still on the cylinder walls. Most never see that mileage, because the rest of the costly to maintain vehicle starts to nickel and dime the owner to death. But the drivetrain outlasting the rest of the car is pretty much how it is with all modern vehicles.
    You should put a * in there.

    *If the headgaskets hold. It seems to me that its just a roll of the dice with those 90's/early 00's FWD Northstar Caddies. Some people get great service and others end up with a lemon in the shop every month for something, or headgaskets blown with under 100k miles on them.

    As far as longevity, my neighbor's early 90's v6/5 speed/4wd Pathfinder had over half a million miles on it before the orignal engine let go. It sat for a couple of years, now it has a new engine, lifted, big knobby tires and his son is driving it.
    lacville78 likes this.

  11. #10
    lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    27
    Posts
    351

    Re: The 585k miles Guiness Record Holding 1979 SDV

    Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    You should put a * in there.

    *If the headgaskets hold. It seems to me that its just a roll of the dice with those 90's/early 00's FWD Northstar Caddies. Some people get great service and others end up with a lemon in the shop every month for something, or headgaskets blown with under 100k miles on them.

    As far as longevity, my neighbor's early 90's v6/5 speed/4wd Pathfinder had over half a million miles on it before the orignal engine let go. It sat for a couple of years, now it has a new engine, lifted, big knobby tires and his son is driving it.
    The difference between the N* and the Cadillac Big block is that this type of service is typical for the Caddy Big Block. The N* requires special care, and even then you have a gamble on your hands.
    As for the Pathfinder, I bet someone had to change that timing belt multiple times. Not fun!
    It is very hard to beat the parts and drivetrain on the 77-79 Caddys. Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, Ferrari, and Mercedes even borrowed a part or two from them.

  12. #11
    MoistCabbage's Avatar
    MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Boston MA.
    Age
    26
    Posts
    18,760
    Special care? A "tune up" on a Northstar is a plug and wire (if applicable) change every 100K.

  13. #12
    Aron9000's Avatar
    Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,051

    Re: The 585k miles Guiness Record Holding 1979 SDV

    Quote Originally Posted by lacville78 View Post
    The difference between the N* and the Cadillac Big block is that this type of service is typical for the Caddy Big Block. The N* requires special care, and even then you have a gamble on your hands.
    As for the Pathfinder, I bet someone had to change that timing belt multiple times. Not fun!
    It is very hard to beat the parts and drivetrain on the 77-79 Caddys. Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, Ferrari, and Mercedes even borrowed a part or two from them.
    Didn't even think about how many times he'd changed the timing belt and water pump on that truck. If its a 60k interval like most imports and he did it by the book, it would've been 8 or 9 times. Although I'm sure the timing set was replaced at least once, if not more times on that 1979 Sedan Deville. The chains do tend to stretch over time/miles.

  14. #13
    lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    27
    Posts
    351

    Re: The 585k miles Guiness Record Holding 1979 SDV

    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Special care? A "tune up" on a Northstar is a plug and wire (if applicable) change every 100K.
    I'm not a N* expert, but from what I understand there is the matter of adding special tablets or powder to the cooling system, and the oil consumption problem, and the carbon build up problem that occurs when you drive your cadillac like a cadillac and not a ferrari.

    Then there is the matter of replacing the head gasket when it goes out. I am sure there are a few that have made it without it, but let's not act like that engine is without head gasket issues.

    The Big Block Cadillac engines were designed for durability, and serviceability. The N*s were designed to race.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    Didn't even think about how many times he'd changed the timing belt and water pump on that truck. If its a 60k interval like most imports and he did it by the book, it would've been 8 or 9 times. Although I'm sure the timing set was replaced at least once, if not more times on that 1979 Sedan Deville. The chains do tend to stretch over time/miles.
    I wish I was there to see if he had it changed or not. But from what I understand age is the biggest killer. Also this guy probably never raced or towed with the car, and it was pretty much all highway cruising miles, plus that chain and gears were designed to be long lived in a car that was 1,000 lbs heavier, it was a bit of an over kill. So, if I had to bet, I would say he ran that engine all those miles without any major work, including the timing chain and gears.

  15. #14
    Aron9000's Avatar
    Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,051

    Re: The 585k miles Guiness Record Holding 1979 SDV

    Quote Originally Posted by lacville78 View Post
    I'm not a N* expert, but from what I understand there is the matter of adding special tablets or powder to the cooling system, and the oil consumption problem, and the carbon build up problem that occurs when you drive your cadillac like a cadillac and not a ferrari.

    Then there is the matter of replacing the head gasket when it goes out. I am sure there are a few that have made it without it, but let's not act like that engine is without head gasket issues.

    The Big Block Cadillac engines were designed for durability, and serviceability. The N*s were designed to race.

    ----------



    I wish I was there to see if he had it changed or not. But from what I understand age is the biggest killer. Also this guy probably never raced or towed with the car, and it was pretty much all highway cruising miles, plus that chain and gears were designed to be long lived in a car that was 1,000 lbs lighter, it was a bit of an over kill. So, if I had to bet, I would say he ran that engine all those miles without any major work, including the timing chain and gears.

    I'm sure on that 425 all the timing chain, tensioners, gears, guides and stuff were metal. On newer cars they've started using plastic parts on the timing set with disasterous results. The 3.6 DOCH GM motor that is in everything from Cadillacs to your mom's Chevy Traverse use that engine, and there have been some catostraphic engine failures when those plastic parts broke and the engine jumped timing. Even the "unkillable" 22R and 22-RE 4 cylinder Toyota truck engine uses plastic parts on the timing set, but on those you are given plenty of warning(horrendous racket of the chain hitting the timing cover) before anything catostraphically fails.

  16. #15
    Cadillac Giovanni's Avatar
    Cadillac Giovanni is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Westport, MA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    867

    Re: The 585k miles Guiness Record Holding 1979 SDV

    My mother had a 1995 Deville Concours with a Northstar. Despite the bad rap the engine got, it ran well right up to 175,000 miles when she got rid of the car due to other problems. It had a slight hesitation on take-offs, but I assume it just needed a little tune up.

    On the other hand, a friend of mine once purchased a 2000 STS. He asked me if I knew whether or not it was a "good" car before he went to see it. I simply warned him that there were a couple of things that could be major issues. One is faulty electronics, and the other was the head gasket on the engine blowing. He bought the car without having a professional look at it, and he loved it, but within weeks, the electronics were so whacked out he had difficulty starting the car, and soon after the head gasket blew. One of the most severe cases of bad luck I've ever seen with a car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting