1991 Blower Motor?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1991 Blower Motor? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; On Sunday I went for a little drive. Went I got home and shut off the car, the blower motor ...
    mjs182004 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 Brougham d' Elegance, 06 STS-V

1991 Blower Motor?

On Sunday I went for a little drive. Went I got home and shut off the car, the blower motor kept on running. I turned the car back on and hit the off button on the ecc. Still kept running. It seems to be stuck on high. I ended up unplugging the purple wire going to the top of the blower housing under the hood. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs182004
    On Sunday I went for a little drive. Went I got home and shut off the car, the blower motor kept on running. I turned the car back on and hit the off button on the ecc. Still kept running. It seems to be stuck on high. I ended up unplugging the purple wire going to the top of the blower housing under the hood. Anyone have any ideas?
    I had to deal with this in a friends roadmaster. The problem is either the blower resistor pack or the ECC head itself.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: 1991 Blower Motor?

Mine has the same problem. I think it's the module in the air box beside the blower fan but haven't had a chance to change it yet.

Ok, I'm going to try swapping out the ecc head tomorrow since I have a spare. Hopefully that one works. Would the ecc head unit also tell the A/C Clutch to never turn off as well(only when the car is running).

Ok, so i changed out the ecc head unit with one that i got from a junk yard last year. The blower still stays on regardless if the car is on or not. But it did resolve the AC compressor always being on. Now it actually turns off when it's suppose to. How do I get to the resister? On a side note, what is the black box just under the ecc head unit?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

You need the "power module" under hood by the blower motor. It fails internally on the ground circuit keeping the blower powered.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    You need the "power module" under hood by the blower motor. It fails internally on the ground circuit keeping the blower powered.
    That's what I was talking about, not the control head in the car.

Ok, I don't understand why they are so expensive. I took mine apart to see if it could be repaired, but there is nothing repairable on it. O'reilly's wants $280 for it and rockauto is $145. What other cars have the same part that i can find in the junkyard?

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Buick Wildcat Convertible 455 4bbl

This part is so common to fail that they are impossible to find at a reasonable price. No junk yard around here even have them.
    Rockauto stopped carrying the one for the 80's broughams and they were twice the price of yours even when they did carry them.

They can be repaired by someone who knows what they're doing. The silicone (or whatever it is) needs to be removed and the components can be replaced.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I got one I can sell. $2.5 million plus shipping but $30 shipped for members.

I didn't know they were common to fail....I rarely see them taken at the junkyard (and I've only sold 1 so far)

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Buick Wildcat Convertible 455 4bbl

I went through tons of them on my old Buick.
    I think it might be more common for them to fail up here in Canada since the blowers get so much use through the winter for defrost.
    When the blower starts to get older, it draws more current and puts more load on the resistor unit.
    When the one went in my car. I could only find one in all the wreckers within hundreds of miles. They wanted $80 non-refundable for it. I bought it and it turned out to be shot too. I managed to convince them to give me a store credit and picked up a new windshield. I finally found a NOS one at a wreckers in the states that shipped it up here.
    If you have a working one for the 80's, I'm more than happy to pay $30 for you to add that into the box of stuff you're sending, I'd feel a better having a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by j2rossit
    I went through tons of them on my old Buick.
    I think it might be more common for them to fail up here in Canada since the blowers get so much use through the winter for defrost.
    When the blower starts to get older, it draws more current and puts more load on the resistor unit.
    When the one went in my car. I could only find one in all the wreckers within hundreds of miles. They wanted $80 non-refundable for it. I bought it and it turned out to be shot too. I managed to convince them to give me a store credit and picked up a new windshield. I finally found a NOS one at a wreckers in the states that shipped it up here.
    If you have a working one for the 80's, I'm more than happy to pay $30 for you to add that into the box of stuff you're sending, I'd feel a better having a spare.
    I guess I'll go pick one up for you then. Theres a couple caddys in the yard that were really well maintained so they should be good.

If the 80's ones would fit my 91, I would buy one from one of you guys. I don't know if I could swing the 2.5 mil though. lol There arn't any broughams in a junkyard near me at the moment.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    The 2.5 mil is my layitlow price. lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.