Orifice Tube Repair Kit
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Orifice Tube Repair Kit in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So my A/C repair job went to hell in a hand basket. Like a good boy, I replaced both the ...
    turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Orifice Tube Repair Kit

So my A/C repair job went to hell in a hand basket.

Like a good boy, I replaced both the stock and the aftermarket driers before installing the new a/c compressor. I also wanted to replace the orifice tube because I'm sure it's original and icky. Of course the orifice tube broke off inside the line. So I ordered a repair kit which consists of a short piece of tubing that splices in front of the stock line with a provision for a new orifice tube. Seems simple enough. But....how do I get the remnants of the old tube out? Drill? Other mechanical means? No matter what I do the line is going to be full of debris so I'm going to have to remove it, clean it and put it back on. I looked for new lines but couldn't find any.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Orifice Tube Repair Kit

You get the old one out with needle nose pliers, and if that doesn't work, a wood screw will take it right out.

Did I mention that the fitting was frozen to the line so I used vise grips to keep the line from twisting? That crushed the tube where the orifice is. So, my pain is self inflicted. I tried a variety of screws but it's not working. There's nothing left to grab onto anymore.

The repair kit won't work unless that tube is clear. I ordered a new line for $30 from GMPARTSDIRECT. GMPartsGiant showed it as discontinued, but all the other GMwhatever sites would let me order it. We'll see if I get one. If not, I'll have to go the used route.

It's complicated by the fact that the coach builder spliced in a "T" for the rear HVAC system. It's a few inches long so they did some custom bending on the stock tube to shorten it. I don't think adding the additional tubing from the repair kit would work anyway.

If I can help, LMK. I still have the parts car here. Haven't touched any AC components.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    If I can help, LMK. I still have the parts car here. Haven't touched any AC components.
    Awesome! Thanks. I probably should have checked here first before blowing the $30, but I get impatient when things are broken.

I haven't had one yet with decent A/C. Hopefully it's just the fact that I haven't done a decent overhaul like I'm doing now. I'd like to think that the stock compressor can handle the additional capacity of the rear system. I've never seen a limo built with a 2nd compressor, so it had to have worked with one compressor.

It turns out the orifice repair kit will work. I thought you jam it in-line with the existing line, which baffled me because how could you do that if the orifice is stuck in the original tube. But no, you cut the old tube out and the repair kit comes with a compression fitting. I'm going to try it and keep the new line around just in case it leaks.

It's only 70 bucks for a new set of lines, mine included the compressor o rings. You might want to replace the set. I did this on my Caprice when I got it. It won't have the T for the additional limo part, though.

Yep - RockAuto has the compressor lines for $40, but I needed the condenser line (the one from the evap core to the condenser). The limo has all sorts of extra plumbing, too. I don't want to mess with anything that isn't broken. It didn't leak before and with my luck it will after I "fixed" it.

So I was goofing around with that line today. The line gets smaller after the orifice tube part of it. Being a horrible judge of time, space and distance, I cut the line in the wrong place. I cut it where it was smaller, not where it was larger by the orifice tube. That renders both the line and the orifice tube repair kit useless. I could put compression fitting on it where I cut it, but I'm skeptical of that repair kit anyway. I'd have to install it where the line already has a good bend in it - I'm not sure it would have ever sealed anyway. I'll never know....

The new line is still "on order" from GM Parts Direct. Hopefully they can get it. Otherwise I might hit you up for the one you have, Jay. It looks fairly easy to get out. May have to swing the PS reservoir and coolant tank out of the way. My car has a bunch of other limo-specific hoses and wires in the way, too.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    So I was goofing around with that line today. The line gets smaller after the orifice tube part of it. Being a horrible judge of time, space and distance, I cut the line in the wrong place. I cut it where it was smaller, not where it was larger by the orifice tube. That renders both the line and the orifice tube repair kit useless. I could put compression fitting on it where I cut it, but I'm skeptical of that repair kit anyway. I'd have to install it where the line already has a good bend in it - I'm not sure it would have ever sealed anyway. I'll never know....

The new line is still "on order" from GM Parts Direct. Hopefully they can get it. Otherwise I might hit you up for the one you have, Jay. It looks fairly easy to get out. May have to swing the PS reservoir and coolant tank out of the way. My car has a bunch of other limo-specific hoses and wires in the way, too.
    And to think, I was going to buy a limo.

Quote Originally Posted by jamespowers View Post
    And to think, I was going to buy a limo.
    Yes, it does get complicated sometimes. Particularly on the already-crowded right side of the engine bay. They splice into the heater hoses and a/c lines over there and add hoses for the rear HVAC system. I added some 0-gauge and 4-gauge wiring too, which is tough to navigate around. I'll get it sorted out eventually

Yes, it does get complicated sometimes. Particularly on the already-crowded right side of the engine bay. They splice into the heater hoses and a/c lines over there and add hoses for the rear HVAC system. I added some 0-gauge and 4-gauge wiring too, which is tough to navigate around. I'll get it sorted out eventually
    I suppose it depends on what coach builder makes the vehicle. I have seen some real disasters---stretched with no frame reinforcements between the cut sections and all kinds of Rube Goldberg designs. I settle for a Brougham that I could understand.
    I am sure you will get it sorted out. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jamespowers View Post
    I suppose it depends on what coach builder makes the vehicle. I have seen some real disasters---stretched with no frame reinforcements between the cut sections and all kinds of Rube Goldberg designs. I settle for a Brougham that I could understand.
    I am sure you will get it sorted out. Good luck.
    Thanks.

This one is a Federal. My last one was a Superior. Both are examples of the more mass-produced limos. Most of the wiring and HVAC stuff is done almost identically on the two. The middle seat on the Superior was nicer - it was made to look like the rear seat and had the crest stitched into it like the stock seat. The Federal seat is more squared off and has less cushion.

Back to the topic at hand, because the Superior was a smaller stretch the HVAC module was in the trunk. The A/C and heater hoses ran the length of the car. Nevertheless, it seemed to work fine with the only problem being that the air output was through the package shelf only. On this bigger Federal stretch, the HVAC module is behind the passenger seat. It doesn't heat or cool as well as the Superior did, despite having the outputs more strategically placed in the rear - one on each side in the middle and another pair in the back. It takes forever for the air to get hot or cold.

Predictably, GMPARTSDIRECT canceled my order because the orifice tube has been discontinued by GM. But I found this guy that has lots of NOS GM parts. He claimed to have 20 of the lines in stock so I ordered one:

http://www.whiteracingproducts.com/search_custom.php

I followed up with an e-mail to make sure and he said that he doesn't list things he doesn't have, he indeed had it and it will ship Monday.

Predictably, GMPARTSDIRECT canceled my order because the orifice tube has been discontinued by GM. But I found this guy that has lots of NOS GM parts. He claimed to have 20 of the lines in stock so I ordered one:

http://www.whiteracingproducts.com/search_custom.php

I followed up with an e-mail to make sure and he said that he doesn't list things he doesn't have, he indeed had it and it will ship Monday.
    I hope you get what you need this time. You can get the limo on the road again soon.
    Cadillacboy and Cadillacboy like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.