Air Conditioning Experts - Vacuum?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Air Conditioning Experts - Vacuum? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I know you need to "vacuum down" the A/C system before you charge it. At 30 in/hg of vacuum, ...
    turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Air Conditioning Experts - Vacuum?

So I know you need to "vacuum down" the A/C system before you charge it. At 30 in/hg of vacuum, the boiling point of water is 70 degrees F. I've read that keeping a vacuum on it for 30 minutes will do it. So my question is, do you draw it down to 30 in/hg, close the system and then shut off the source of vacuum? Or do you keep the vacuum source on for the full 30 minutes?

Here's why I ask. I've also read not to use venturi-type vacuum pumps - the kind that operate off of compressed air. I don't know why, but that's the type I have and it will draw the system down to 30 in/hg easily. But, to keep it "running" so to speak, my air compressor runs non-stop. So as I think about it, once it's drawn down to a vacuum is there any benefit to keeping the pump running? It's not sucking anything out - it's at a vacuum. There's no circulation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Re: Air Conditioning Experts - Vacuum?

Those venturi type pumps can't pull a system down to the same micron-vacuum level as a vane type pump. Some vacuum is better than none, but if you don't have a regular pump then I suppose letting it sit with vacuum for an hour, then pulling vacuum again, would be the next best thing.

It's a good idea to leave the systme under vacuum for a while after any evacuation, so you can see that it maintains the vac level without any leaks.

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

The vacuum pump should be allowed to work for 30 minutes continuously. I have one of the higher level vane type pumps from Harbor freight and it has worked flawlessly on the few systems i have used it on. Although it was more expensive than the air powered ones, It was still cheaper to buy it than to have a shop vacuum/recharge the system too.

I've had great success with my cheap venturi pump, too, the the question of whether the pump should be running or not was bugging me. I figured a vacuum was a vacuum and once you get to 30 in/hg, why continue to run the pump?

I may invest in a "real" pump at some point just from an efficiency perspective. Running a huge air compressor to keep the venturi pump going seems kind of silly.

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

Just from the manuals i have read over, i think their reasoning on leaving it going so long is to just allow it to boil out any moisture that may have built up deep in the system. weather this in precautionary or if it's really what i needs, i couldn't be 100% on, but hey, if you can do it, why not?

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Boiling moisture takes a little time. Picture the sun drying the fog from your windshield. The vacuum was run for 45 minutes at max pull in places I worked. That was with electric high vacuum pumps.

The venturi unit I used for only one season would use a bazillion watts of electricity due to the airflow needed to make it work.

I bought an "FJP 6905" vacuum pump. It was the least expensive I could find, and Amazon had it for $83 shipped. It has mostly good ratings from people using it to vacuum down refrigerant systems. It's whisper quiet compared the the circus that the venturi pump was - between the sucking sound and the compressor running it was deafening.

Still waiting on a replacement condenser line and I can put it all back together. I can't wait to have A/C again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.