Need Advice: Insurance may want to total my '87 Brougham because of broken window.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Need Advice: Insurance may want to total my '87 Brougham because of broken window. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I need some advice. Last Saturday night someone broke my back window of my '87 while I was sleeping. I ...
    Slacker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Unhappy Need Advice: Insurance may want to total my '87 Brougham because of broken window.

I need some advice. Last Saturday night someone broke my back window of my '87 while I was sleeping. I noticed it in the morning and called my insurance company because I have glass coverage.

At first they gave me the number to a shop that didn't exist so I had to call them back. The next shop they gave me was terrible. They never called me back and in the end just said that they can't find the glass and go call my insurance company to find someone else. That was after 4 days. (I'm not even joking...)

I call my insurance company for a third time and they take down the car information and the lady says "No problem. We'll source the glass for you and get you hooked up with a shop". I think "Great! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear." She calls back and says that she has bad news. Not only is she having problems getting the glass but she says the vinyl top needs to probably be replaced to change the glass (I was fearing this.). She then continues to say that this could be expensive and be more than the car is worth and if that's the case they will consider the car a total loss. She asked to send out a person to determine the vehicles worth.

I agreed to have the guy come look at the car. He was suppose to call to make an appointment but then I find out when I call him that he was already at my apartment earlier looking for my car. (I wasn't home). I don't know if it is, but that seemed shadey to me.

So, long story short, I don't want to have my insurance company "junk" my car because some jerk broke my window. I have glass insurance, I would have assumed that this would be a non-issue. When I signed up with my insurance company and they suggested glass coverage I was driving a beat up '84 Celebrity. I said to them, "Are you just saying to put glass coverage on so if I get a broken window you junk my car?" They replied "No sir, we wouldn't do that. That's not how it works". Well it's looking like it is...

Anyone know the round about cost of replacing a back window on one of these cars or has a decent shop in the Long Island area that I can get it fixed at?

Thanks for reading.

Here are some pics of the damage:

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    At the very most, I'd say the new top and glass would cost 2k. (and according to (either 1980 coupe or ape man, don't recall which), you do not have to replace the top when you do the back glass. You cut the panel that goes around the window at the side seams and peel it back.
    BTW, your car should blue book at 4k minimum if it's in good shape, so they shouldn't be able to total it out for broken glass.

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Re: Need Advice: Insurance may want to total my '87 Brougham because of broken window

Nice looking car, dont let the insurance company win,it's the agents job to not pay out on claims,they will hassle you till you give up.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Take it to a good body shop that knows how to do the job, and can deal with the roof. Have them deal with insurance.

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

Re: Need Advice: Insurance may want to total my '87 Brougham because of broken window

You could ask them to just do a cash settlement and then you look after everything yourself. If they do total the car then ask to have first dibs to buy it back. Then you might make out alright.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

I have a back glass with rear defrost if you cant find one. It looks like it was tinted and the tint was peeled off cause there is a clear film on it. Let me know. Not sure what needs to be done to get the window replaced, maybe an upholstery shop would know. Here is a pic of whats back there(not the glass I have for sale).

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Just pick up a used rear window, and pay to get it replaced yourself. You could also peel back the top, let insurance pay for the glass re/re, and pay to get the top done.

Yes, I know that it is frustrating that the insurance is screwing you. The only way around this is to get your car appraised and carry special classic vehicle insurance (and deal with the usage/driving restrictions that come with it).

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Is it possible the glass gets replaced from inside? Call a glass company. They'll give you an estimate.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

You'll probably end up having to deal with the roof. The window goes beyond the edge of the vinyl and I think there's a shell around it that you can see in that other picture. Old vinyl usually doesn't peel back that well for such a big area and by the time they get done it'll probably look like hell. Id fight the insurance company for the repair. If they want to write it off either take the money they give you and fix it yourself. Or once you know how much the repair will actually cost see if you can just pay the difference for the amount they dont' want to cover.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Is it possible the glass gets replaced from inside? Call a glass company. They'll give you an estimate.
    Unfortunately, no. The window is a full size piece of glass with a lip on the back side (the formal opera window is the same size as the hardtop rear window despite appearing to be half the size due to being covered in vinyl)

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

I'd just take the payout and fix the car myself. You should be able to get a rear window from the junkyards, then take it to a glass shop for installation, then an interior shop to have the roof redone. Whole thing should not cost you more than a few hundred dollars, and your car is easily worth 3K.

BTW, who's your insurance company so I can make sure I never sign up with them?

TopherS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS LuxIII (60K mi.), '06 SRX V6-AWD (40K mi.)

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    ...and your car is easily worth 3K.

BTW, who's your insurance company so I can make sure I never sign up with them?
    I'll chime in with some info I've learned this week...

On Wednesday, I was hit on the side by a guy who changed lanes without looking...damaged my driver-side front fender and front door. The 2 estimates I got were $1941 and $1306. I was concerned that the insurance would total out my 1987 Brougham, as well.

My insurance company (Ameriprise/IDS) said they could not tell me how much my car is worth without an appraisal, but said that they would look at totaling out my car if the damage reaches 70% or more of the value of the car. The other driver has Allstate. They took responsibility because their insured was at-fault...and they said they would look at totaling out my car if the damage was 80% or more of the value of the car. I don't know if they're taking into account "diminished value" + cost of rental + ??? or what...but I've always believed that "totaled" meant "more than the value". Perhaps insurance companies have changed their definitions???

At any rate, Allstate didn't bat an eye...just said they'd pay to get it fixed and pay for the rental and "not to worry". They, too, couldn't tell me the value of my car without an appraisal, but they didn't even bother. I was rather impressed. My Brougham goes into the shop on Monday.

Hearing that a 1987 Brougham in good condition is worth $3-4K is good to hear. Cheers for that.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Totalled was was always over a certain percent, not over the value of the car. It's good to hear they paid out. It seems a lot of the time you see a car that was totalled that only has minor damage, especially older ones.

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

I can't imagine that a used rear window would be more than $50-100. The top, I would have to guess would be $500-100, and that is just a guess. Any half way experienced adjuster would quote the used window, price to install it plus markup (profit) for the shop, and then the cost of the top. They may charge you betterment for the new top. Betterment is like the word says- your new top is better than the old one it is replacing, so the insurance company may ask you to pay a portion of its replacement cost. If the new top costs $1000 say for example,and they charge you %50 betterment, then you would pay $500 towards the top. Lets say you have a $100 deductible, plus the $500 betterment, then what ever the cost of the repairs are, the insurance company would deduct $600 from your total payout check. If they go this route, you can certainly try to negotiate a lower betterment amount. Or, if you are lucky, they won't even use betterment. Betterment is a concept which varies by insurance company, and local insurance law. Good luck, and stay on top of the adjuster.

JimMLINY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Brougham D'Elegance

In Glen Cove, at end of Forest Avenue, make a left turn, there is an auto place on left hand side of road. I can't remember their name but they did rear glass replacement on my 70 Riv where the vinyl roof had been removed nd it came out excellent. Father and son team who do restoration glass work on classics. Very reasonable. Think it cost around $700.00 for hard to find rear glass with deicer and trim to fit a former vinyl roof.

Take a cruise and check out if they are still there. If not, Hans Auto is there too, and can do same; but, I have never used them and can't comment on quality or pricing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.