Big electrical problems 90 Brougham
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Big electrical problems 90 Brougham in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Went to take the car for inspection and registration and lost the following: Turn signals (flashers, running, and brake lights ...
    bikertrash3531 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Brougham D' Elegance

Big electrical problems 90 Brougham

Went to take the car for inspection and registration and lost the following:
    Turn signals (flashers, running, and brake lights work)
    High beams (low beams work)
    Back up lights
    Fuel
    Spark ( engine cranks over)
    No burning smell or smoke was detected

The P.O's used a jumper wire in the fuse box to get the digital dash to work and also had a wire jammed into a fuse location with two 20amp in line fuses run to the HVAC fan motor. There are burn marks on several fuse locations on the fuse box. I'm thinking the whole fuse box needs replaced or maybe a ignition switch under the dash( if there is one)? If it is the fuse box, where can I find one? Parts stores don't have them. Rockauto doesn't have them either. Salvage yards are questionable. Anyone know where I can get a new one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Re: Big electrical problems 90 Brougham

Seems more ignition or steering column related to me. Digital dash, spark, fuel, turn signals, HVAC and such all come on when you turn the ignition on. Does it run?

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

You are going to need a fsm to test all those circuits and to find the relays. I'll bet a relay or fusible link may have failed but the trick is to find it. These are the kind of problems that I hate and I wish you luck.

Fsm? I just think its strange that all these thing quit at the same time. I mean, I parked the car to get my personal property tax statement and it was working and running fine. Got back into the car and it wouldn't fire. Before I left the house I double checked all the lights and they were fine. I'm pretty sure these things all failed simultaneously. I just think its weird that relatively unrelated systems failed all at one after running fine.

Never mind the FSM question. Factory Service Manual. I bought a Chiltons for 67-89 Cadillac's. I know its not the 90, but its as close as I can get. Especially with the wiring diagram. Even then the diagram is incomplete. However, I couldn't find anything in common with the wiring of the failed systems other than the fuse block. I guess I'll check wiring with a multi meter until something that makes sense.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Change in the cigarette lighter?

^^^^ I wish it were that simple lol. There isn't very many of these cars around and I hate to think of what it would cost to have a shop fix all the rigged up crap in the electrical system. I called the little bro over to have a look. He was an avionics electrician in the Navy and his thoughts were "what the @#$&#@ kinda @#$&#/$ is this!" We tested all fuse slots for volts. The affected systems all showed 5 millivolts. The rest were 12 volts. Something has these systems shorting or something. My lovely wife found a website dealing with GM only parts, hopefully we can get the fuse box out and see if anything appears faulty and get a new one or a tested salavage part. If not we may research scrap prices. I don't know.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by bikertrash3531
    ^^^^ I wish it were that simple lol. There isn't very many of these cars around and I hate to think of what it would cost to have a shop fix all the rigged up crap in the electrical system. I called the little bro over to have a look. He was an avionics electrician in the Navy and his thoughts were "what the @#$&#@ kinda @#$&#/$ is this!" We tested all fuse slots for volts. The affected systems all showed 5 millivolts. The rest were 12 volts. Something has these systems shorting or something. My lovely wife found a website dealing with GM only parts, hopefully we can get the fuse box out and see if anything appears faulty and get a new one or a tested salavage part. If not we may research scrap prices. I don't know.
    Don't scrap the car there's enough of them getting scrapped from people neglecting them and beating them into the ground.

Scrapping it will be the last thing we do. That comment was purely frustration. Apologies. I just got off the phone with an old family friend of ours that worked with GM for years. One thing he mentioned was the solenoid on the starter. It made no sense to me until he explained that if bad it could allow certain things to function and not others because the main ground runs to it unlike the Fords I'm accustomed to. In a way it sounds plausible but I have serious doubts. With the multimeter readings and the crap repairs I found in the fuse box, I'm still leaning towards the fuse box. I'm going to step away from it for a couple of days and see if in can get more info on retaining parts and diagnosis.

How many volts should I get in testing the ignition coil output? Right now we have about 11.5v from the connection on top of the coil. Does any one know what voltage I should have at the injector connections? Lastly, where can I find an FSM for this car? Internet searches haven't turned up anything.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

This is what you want (and this is about the going rate for them). If you go to ebay, type in "factory service manual 1990 brougham", a few more of these will pop up (but this was the cheapest one shipped.)
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=12012341464
    Sorry for it being an ebay mobile link (on my phone)

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Thanks for the link! I'm leary of eBay but in this case it may be my best option. Now worries about the mobile link as everything I do internet wise is on my phone as well.

Thanks for the link! I'm leary of eBay but in this case it may be my best option. Now worries about the mobile link as everything I do internet wise is on my phone as well.
    I don't buy much on ebay either, but the FSM is one exception. Mine has been an invaluable resource for working on my car (and mine was about 25 shipped IIRC- which was far cheaper than the chilton/ haynes manual and includes a ton more info).
    The Ape Man and The Ape Man like this.

Called around and found another 90 in a JY close by. I asked them not to cut any wires and well......

Before I settled on this one I had them do a search to find another car. Nothing within 200 miles of here. So they gave me this for nothing. I think I can make this work when the FSM arrives. Really I think the JY was smart in giving me this fuse box. The car it came from is loaded with parts I'm sure I can make good use of.

Time to get a soldering iron!

Called around and found another 90 in a JY close by. I asked them not to cut any wires and well......

Before I settled on this one I had them do a search to find another car. Nothing within 200 miles of here. So they gave me this for nothing. I think I can make this work when the FSM arrives. Really I think the JY was smart in giving me this fuse box. The car it came from is loaded with parts I'm sure I can make good use of.

Time to get a soldering iron!
    The wires they cut are part of the main harness IIRC. Unless you had them disassemble the whole car and pull out the entire run, that's the closest you're gonna get. When you do your fuse block swap (since the fuse positions and wire colors should be the same), do the wires one by one and you should be fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.