Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big electrical problems 90 Brougham

bikertrash3531 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Brougham D' Elegance

Re: Big electrical problems 90 Brougham

So I should pull the pins out of the box instead of soldering the wires with electrical shrink? Just worried about breaking some of the plastic that hold the pins in if I do it that way.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by bikertrash3531
    So I should pull the pins out of the box instead of soldering the wires with electrical shrink? Just worried about breaking some of the plastic that hold the pins in if I do it that way.
    You won't be able to get them out and back in intact. They weren't meant to come out.
    I was saying cut the wires from your fuse block one by one and hook them into the new fuse block.

Ah ok. Thanks. Providing the weather holds it looks like this will take place this weekend.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Big job not to be 100% its gonna work. I still think its ignition related. All the stuff thats not working on your car only works when the ignition is on(not sure about the high beams, I thought they were hot at all times). Do the radio, heat and windows work?

Without ignition, you would still have hazards, headlights, brake lights, horn, seats and mirrors.

Car is in the shop. They will check over everything before i go ripping into the wiring. My wife suggested this when she noticed the lack of enthusiasm I have for wiring. $100 to inspect and diagnose, IMO, isn't a bad deal. Lets see what happens.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

$100 is great when you think about the possibilities of the car never recovering from a trip into the wiring harness. If you do replace the wiring harness/fuse box, you should remove the dash, it will make things much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    $100 is great when you think about the possibilities of the car never recovering from a trip into the wiring harness. If you do replace the wiring harness/fuse box, you should remove the dash, it will make things much easier.
    Thanks, I've already considered taking the dash out if I were to replace the fusebox. A couple more hours to take it out will save a lifetime on my back! Lol.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville

I think if you studied the FSM in the jon for a few mornings several things would jump out at you that you could test. It takes me a very long time to decipher wiring diagrams but after a while it all starts to make sense. Most likely your problems are related to the back yard fixes done to your fuse box and only involves a couple circuits. In the worst case I think you should be successful in wiring in that new fuse box by cutting and soldering (Western Union splice) and shrink wrapping everything. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12