Cd player wiring harness for a 96
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Cd player wiring harness for a 96 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; sup guys im going to be installing a double din in my 96,i know the 96 and i think the ...
    85 FLEETWOOD COUPE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

Cd player wiring harness for a 96

sup guys im going to be installing a double din in my 96,i know the 96 and i think the 95 had a special wiring harness that goes to the trunk then back to the front but i cant find it no where, i went to local audio shops they was lost,so im pretty sure guys on here had the same problem and can guide me in the right direction thanks much

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

Re: Cd player wiring harness for a 96

Quote Originally Posted by 85 FLEETWOOD COUPE View Post
    sup guys im going to be installing a double din in my 96,i know the 96 and i think the 95 had a special wiring harness that goes to the trunk then back to the front but i cant find it no where, i went to local audio shops they was lost,so im pretty sure guys on here had the same problem and can guide me in the right direction thanks much
    This is what I used..

http://www.carid.com/1996-cadillac-f...s-4731758.html

I also have a 12" standard GM adapter harness I used in a 95 Trans Am, 94 Camaro, 97 Sunfire, and others, and when I tested a used DIN unit I used that and hooked it into the trunk of the Fleetwood - worked fine, only difference between the two is the length of the wires and antenna cable extension. Worst case, get a standard harness and extend the wires yourself, although you then have to additionally get the antenna cable extension also

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

All of the aftermarket listings for these things are WRONG. The '96 has a "normal", integrated amplifier in the head unit. '96 does not have the amp in the back and the associated wiring. And the aftermarket kits they sell are wrong, too - the radio mounts differently. I made a '93-95 faceplate work, but only after hacking it apart and just using the "ears" to mount the radio. I posted a thread on it here somewhere.

I cant find that thread

I couldn't find it either. I don't know what kit would ultimately work, but I do know that the ones that lump the 96 in with 93-95 are incorrect.

So all i need is that harness that poda posted the link on , i dont have to run nothing to the trunk then back up front to the unit

So all i need is that harness that poda posted the link on , i dont have to run nothing to the trunk then back up front to the unit
    No, that was my point. It says '93-'96, but it's not correct for the '96. That harness runs from front to back - it's 204" long. You don't need that.

I tried a kit for a '96 Impala and it was wrong. I ultimately cut stock harness off the radio and soldered my own connections. It's not hard if you have the wiring diagram.

axe
    axe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 94 Fleetwood Brougham, 02 Escalade

I have a '94 so I can't speak from any personal experience about the harness but I believe everything Jimmy told you is true.

I don't know if you have removed the head unit yet to look but I would just like to mention that it's a very tight fit getting an aftermarket unit in there. You will probably need to cut the plastic backing which the original radio hangs on to, this will give you maybe 3/4" - 1" extra clearance - if I'm not mistaken. Only cut the lower part where the radio goes and leave the upper part where the AC unit sits. This is if you have to cut at all that is, the '96 might also be different from my '94 dash.

I have a Pioneer AppRadio 2 installed in mine and I think it's 6 - 6.5" deep, it was a super tight squeeze getting it in. I used the Metra 99-2003 installation kit which was very flimsy and one hole and dovel pin indent didn't line up to the bottom plate (reused from original radio mounting), but it was at least better than nothing.

ok i see now so i can use this and try to find it localy? i dont have the means to buy over the net Brand: Metra Part Number: 70-1856 UPC: 086429087167

----------

Quote Originally Posted by axe View Post
    I have a '94 so I can't speak from any personal experience about the harness but I believe everything Jimmy told you is true.

I don't know if you have removed the head unit yet to look but I would just like to mention that it's a very tight fit getting an aftermarket unit in there. You will probably need to cut the plastic backing which the original radio hangs on to, this will give you maybe 3/4" - 1" extra clearance - if I'm not mistaken. Only cut the lower part where the radio goes and leave the upper part where the AC unit sits. This is if you have to cut at all that is, the '96 might also be different from my '94 dash.

I have a Pioneer AppRadio 2 installed in mine and I think it's 6 - 6.5" deep, it was a super tight squeeze getting it in. I used the Metra 99-2003 installation kit which was very flimsy and one hole and dovel pin indent didn't line up to the bottom plate (reused from original radio mounting), but it was at least better than nothing.
    i havent took mine out yet but ive heard to you can cut the pastick part in the back to get more room so that a double din can sit in better/flush

ok i see now so i can use this and try to find it localy? i dont have the means to buy over the net Brand: Metra Part Number: 70-1856 UPC: 086429087167[COLOR="Silver"]
    I'm not sure if that will work or not. You're probably better off saving the $30 and just splicing in the harness that comes with your new radio. It's not that hard.

axe
    axe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 94 Fleetwood Brougham, 02 Escalade

i havent took mine out yet but ive heard to you can cut the pastick part in the back to get more room so that a double din can sit in better/flush
    Yes, that plastic part probably gotta go. It's just that even with it gone it can still be a bit tight, a deeper head unit wont fit properly. Considering the size of the dash one would believe space wouldn't be an issue in these cars.

yea but let me ask yall this,do other brand double dins fit better then the other??

Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

In terms of mounting kits I fabbed my own for my single DIN Kenwood - piece of sheetmetal cut to width (from an old stereo CD player, IIRC), with ~1" lip folded at a 90 degree angle on the top and bottom. Drilled the holes for the mounting hardware off the old radio, and spray painted the whole thing flat black. Looks a lot better than the plastic mounting kits I've seen and looks like it belongs there. I'm about to pull it out this week to get behind there for something else - I can snap some pics if you want to get an idea..

Edit: oops - missed that you're installing a double din..

LOL WISH I CAN FIND THE OLDER THREADS ON DOUBLE DINS,I SEEN THEM BUT NEVER PAID ATTENTION TO THEM

LOL WISH I CAN FIND THE OLDER THREADS ON DOUBLE DINS,I SEEN THEM BUT NEVER PAID ATTENTION TO THEM
    Yeah, I had posted step by step with pics. I'll have to look a little harder.

Even with the plastic hacked out, you only have like 6.75" tops. Look for something with that kind of depth. It's not easy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.