spark plug gap question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, spark plug gap question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I pulled the spark plugs on my caddy (1986/ 87 spec L05) and replaced them with some .060 ac delco ...
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

spark plug gap question

I pulled the spark plugs on my caddy (1986/ 87 spec L05) and replaced them with some .060 ac delco ones I had bought a couple years ago for the 307 (since I knew that some years of the 350 chevy used .060 plugs).
    The plugs I pulled out of the motor (which were all in pretty good shape and I kept in case the ones I put in were incorrect for the engine) were autolites gapped anywhere between .035 and .045 (seems like someone put them in without gapping them first) and the engine ran pretty good on them (they might have been a couple years old at most).
    I decided to do some reading online about the gap just to make sure that .060 was ok and the first several links I tried had idiots flaming each other about spark plug gap and how (pick .035, .045, or .060) was horrible for the engine and would kill power and/or hurt the HEI blah blah blah. So I figured I'd ask the guys here.
    Will running .060 gap plugs hurt my 350?
    What gap should I be running?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Re: spark plug gap question

HEI powered ignitions were spec'd up to .060, and they are all essentially the same - lower specs are tailored to the specific engine and not influenced by HEI's capabilities. Either way, I'm not sure why there'd be reason to question the spec for our specific car. Gap them to spec and be done wit it. The system is made to sustain the wider gaps, which is the whole point of it's implementation. .035 gaps were suitable for points/condenser ignition, which couldn't sustain anything hotter, but were pretty much abandoned when HEI was introduced... To sum up, factory HEI can handle .060 and smaller with no risk to the ignition system itself, but the gap still needs to be correct for your engine's CR and combustion design.

mjs182004 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 Brougham d' Elegance, 06 STS-V

My Shop book says .035 for the L06 350. for the model years 91/92

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

the correct gap is .060 for HEI as eluded to previously.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Quote Originally Posted by mjs182004 View Post
    My Shop book says .035 for the L06 350. for the model years 91/92
    This has come up before and I thought it was a misprint. It makes no sense to run such a small gap nowadays but apparently that is the case, or it is really a misprint. Most Chevy v8's recommend .045 and Oldsmobiles recommend .060. The old 403's used to run .080 gap for some emissions reasons but hotrodders would run .060.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.