New mats and tire cover - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, New mats and tire cover in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by jayoldschool Just checked my parts car, it has the cover for a compact spare. That will be ...
    jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Re: New mats and tire cover

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Just checked my parts car, it has the cover for a compact spare. That will be going in my SS where I have a compact spare from an 80s Caprice!
    Darn! Thanks for looking.

Bro-Ham is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by jamespowers View Post
    I can see that happening. If my mother's 75 Eldorado hadn't come with a full sized spare then I could see my father junking the space saver crap. It has a full size spare in there and I think they made sure it did before they bought the car. lol
    I think the reasons Cadillac went to the compact spare in 1977 was to increase trunk space and reduce weight. Cadillac was selling a smaller car and needed every inch possible in the trunk, plus buyers were increasingly concerned about fuel economy and every reduced pound counted. I can't remember a factory full size spare back in the late 70's through the 80's, perhaps on trailer tow package cars, which in those days I don't think was that common of an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    I think the reasons Cadillac went to the compact spare in 1977 was to increase trunk space and reduce weight. Cadillac was selling a smaller car and needed every inch possible in the trunk, plus buyers were increasingly concerned about fuel economy and every reduced pound counted. I can't remember a factory full size spare back in the late 70's through the 80's, perhaps on trailer tow package cars, which in those days I don't think was that common of an option.
    It would have been a common option if I were buying a new Cadillac at that time. If you were driving a Cadillac back then, you weren't that worried about gas mileage. Only the government was worried.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham

My 83 lesabre has a full size spare, but I'm not sure if it was original to the car. The rim looks new, and is identical to the 4 steel rims on the car.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Another reason has to be the increased reliability of radials. On bias plys, on a road trip, chances were pretty good you were going to need that spare!

I know on some full size GM RWDs, ordering posi also got you the full size spare. A smaller donut would burn out the posi if mounted on the rear axle. On my SS, if I get a flat, it's getting flat bedded back to my place. If I have to wait too long, I'll move a front wheel to the back, and put the donut on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    My 83 lesabre has a full size spare, but I'm not sure if it was original to the car. The rim looks new, and is identical to the 4 steel rims on the car.
    It is hard to tell unless we can find either the original invoice or the original options list for the cars in question. I think I remember that the full size spare was an option for most cars of the period but I am not absolutely sure. Then again, the dealers could have been smart enough to offer them as a dealer option. Where there is money to be made, the dealers will take up the slack.

----------

Another reason has to be the increased reliability of radials. On bias plys, on a road trip, chances were pretty good you were going to need that spare!

I know on some full size GM RWDs, ordering posi also got you the full size spare. A smaller donut would burn out the posi if mounted on the rear axle. On my SS, if I get a flat, it's getting flat bedded back to my place. If I have to wait too long, I'll move a front wheel to the back, and put the donut on the front.
    Too much work and planning. I think you need a full size spare for that car. lol lol

----------

Too much work and planning. I think you need a full size spare for that car. lol lol

It would have been a common option if I were buying a new Cadillac at that time. If you were driving a Cadillac back then, you weren't that worried about gas mileage. Only the government was worried.
    What is your age? I ask because I'm guessing you're young or forgetful - even most Cadillac owners were concerned about gas mileage back in the late 70's, not only for saving money at times of wild price peaks, but, more importantly, economy was a concern for the extra distance you would be able to drive before facing the unknown of a possible gas shortage which would prevent you from getting gas altogether.

What is your age? I ask because I'm guessing you're young or forgetful - even most Cadillac owners were concerned about gas mileage back in the late 70's because it wasn't the money you would save with the fuel efficiency, it was the extra distance you would be able to drive before facing the unknown of a possible gas shortage which would prevent you from getting gas altogether.
    I remember the gas lines and such. It was a pain but by the end of the 70s we all knew it was going to be fine. The OPECers went back to producing oil and it has just cost more ever since. 73-74 were the worst years. The worst part is what it did to the auto industry for the future. Junk abounded---HT engines and diesels ring a bell?

I remember the gas lines and such. It was a pain but by the end of the 70s we all knew it was going to be fine. The OPECers went back to producing oil and it has just cost more ever since. 73-74 were the worst years. The worst part is what it did to the auto industry for the future. Junk abounded---HT engines and diesels ring a bell?
    I disagree with your statement "by the end of the 70s we knew it was all going to be fine." Again, I think you're either young or forgetful. This is probably a discussion for another thread in a different section of the forum. Let me just say in 1979, in addition to gas lines and record breakingly high gas and energy prices, we also had out of control inflation, astronomical interest rates, turmoil in the middle east including U.S. hostages held in Iran which to that point we had relations and they supplied us with oil, topped off by Jimmah our incompetent president whose failed policies perpetuated the misery. I would say that by the early to mid 80's "we all knew it was going to be fine." Thanks President Reagan!

Good luck finding your spare tire cover!

Let me just say in 1979, in addition to gas lines and record breakingly high gas and energy prices, we also had out of control inflation, astronomical interest rates, turmoil in the middle east including U.S. hostages held in Iran which to that point we had relations and they supplied us with oil, topped off by Jimmah our incompetent president whose failed policies perpetuated the misery. I would say that by the early to mid 80's "we all knew it was going to be fine." Thanks President Reagan!

Good luck finding your spare tire cover!
    And Reagan was the reason why we knew it would be better. Reagan just didn't appear in early 80. He was nailing Carter for along time before the election. The hostages got released because Reagan was coming. Gas was going down during the campaign because Reagan said we had plenty of oil and we needed to go get it. Interest rates went down but it wasn't until the later part of the 80s before they went down to decent levels. Even in 1986 I was getting 13% in a savings and loan on my savings. lol lol Those were good days to have a savings.

I'll check the local junkyard.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

No politics, gentlemen, please.

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

On my 84, I used a black vinyl one from a mid eighties Chevy S10 Blazer 4 door. It was elastic around the bottom to stay on. Was used on tailgate mounted spare tires.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.