Is this 89 brougham worth it?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Is this 89 brougham worth it? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; There's this 89 Brougham d'elegance with a white ext. and red leather int. The seller is a private owner and ...
    DanD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Is this 89 brougham worth it?

There's this 89 Brougham d'elegance with a white ext. and red leather int. The seller is a private owner and it has 32k miles. Is it worthwhile for 6k , or would a 90-92 brougham be a better choice since this one has the 307?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Re: Is this 89 brougham worth it?

although the 307 won't win any races it's a good reliable engine. $6k isn't unheard of and with those low miles this might be one to jump on. Got any pics? Really it all depends on how well it was maintained.

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

The car would have to be pristine for 6k and I would wonder if the odometer has turned over to 137,000. How does all the body and mechanical stuff look in general?? I have my 81 Fleet. Brougham D'Elegance 2dr Coupe for sale at $6200 but it is very nice bumper to bumper..and with the 6.0l engine. Sounds like a lot but it depends how much has already been done to the car. Mine runs like new.

I got the Ebay of the car, and it's about 40-50 min. away from me.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-...#ht_500wt_1182

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
    That thing looks clean! Same color combo as the 89 delegance I use to own, mine had the premiere top option though.

Enjoy the new ride!

That 307 still scares me because I know I would never be able to make "maneuvers" in my school parking lot. Every day someone gets rear-ended because the person behind them didn't notice that the person in front slowed down for the stupid speed humps, and I'm afraid that it would be pretty costly to repair the rear of this brougham.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

You may not even notice the speed bumps in that Caddy. For $6k I would be tempted to look at '04 DTS's.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

You'd think he'd have more pics. Looks nice from what I can see, all depends how it runs. It would be a nice cruiser, but don't expect to win any drag races. I wouldn't pay more than 5K myself.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

It seems these cars are staying pretty steady around that price for a nice one. 4-6K seems pretty common now for the low mile ones.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

Go see it, take it for a test drive, and go with your gut. It looks good in pictures, that's for sure.

If it strikes you as the right car, 6k isn't an awful price, at all, especially for those low miles. It is possible the odometer rolled over. I actually saw an 89 Brougham recently that had 130,000 miles and looked just as pristine. A carfax report may shed some light on that. The D'Elegance package also adds value to the car. Those seats make all the difference.

I just spent the past six months looking for a new car, and did a lot of researching and test driving concerning the 307 vs. 305 vs. 350, and came to a pretty solid conclusion. First, with the 90-92 Broughams: I think the restyling throws off the whole look of the car, but appearance aside, the gain in power isn't worth it to me. A well-tuned, low-mileage 307 (which you are presumably looking at here) has decent pickup for daily driving. The TBI 305 that came standard in 91 and 92 is a slight step up, and the optional 350 is one more baby step further, but the towing package suspension that typically comes paired with it throws off the stance and compromises the softness of the ride. Opinions are divided on this, but seeing how neither of the "improved" engine options for the newer Broughams offer much more in the way of performance, I don't think they're worth the detail-obscuring trim panels and the terrible door-mounted seatbelts. And, actually, for my money, the 307 accelerates softer and smoother than either of the Chevy engines. I've got a 307 with over 200,000 miles on it, and it still hasn't let me down.

So to recap, if you want a timeless Cadillac style and a car that looks good from any angle, an 89 Brougham won't let you down. Buy the 90-92 only if you actually like the redesign, because the slight upgrade to performance isn't worth it. If you want a land yacht that can smoke tires with the best of them, look for a 94-96 Fleetwood.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

You are lucky to be so close. Take a look at it and see how it feels to you.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    You'd think he'd have more pics. Looks nice from what I can see, all depends how it runs. It would be a nice cruiser, but don't expect to win any drag races. I wouldn't pay more than 5K myself.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. You want that much for it yet only have 4 pictures? Prove it's worth show us the goods!

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

This car looks like new ,wrong color combo for me though lol
    Not to mention , D'elegance trim package has nicer seats too

What sucks about all of this is that there was one for sale only 5 min from my house about 3 months ago. It was a 92 with the 350 and it had 65k miles. The rear seats were beyond mint and the person only wanted 3900 for it because it was the persons moms car until she went to a retirement home. My dad dragged his feet and the car was sold the same day we were gonna go drive it. Now he believes that they aren't worth more than 5k and that they should all have a chevy 350. I still stay up at night wishing I got that brougham.

Seville fan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham

Heck yeah it's worth it. Went to EB to see what else was for sale and found another 89 FWB, white, ex-Florida car, also with 32,000 miles (strange coincidence). Already bid up to $4,250 with 5 days left, $7,000 BIN price. This one looks like a nice car but strangely the front spoiler under the bumper is pretty chewed up.

The one you're looking at looks nice, is D'elegance and has a better interior color but agree with the others you need to ask for more pics before taking further action.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.