Electrical problem with drivers window switch
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Electrical problem with drivers window switch in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am having an issue with my 4 button, 2 switch front/2 switch rear, window controls. All other windows work ...
    tromans is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance

Electrical problem with drivers window switch

I am having an issue with my 4 button, 2 switch front/2 switch rear, window controls. All other windows work but the switches on the drivers door don't. Thinking it was just bad switches I tested them with a multi meter and they all seem to be working. So now I'm thinking its an electrical issue. Like I said, all of the other windows work independently so I don't think it's the fuse. Maybe a relay??? Where would that relay be? If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Re: Electrical problem with drivers window switch

Get yourself another panel with the window switches and go from there. Its not the window motors thats for sure
    because they do work at their respective door. Check the main wire that feeds the power to the main driverside
    switch...

I am not getting any power through the wiring harness to the switch. It looks like the harness runs from the door to the fuse block. I thought there might be an in-line fuse but I'm not seeing one. I really hate to have to take her to the dealer and pay $105 per hour but I might not have much of a choice.

To which switch the main one on the driver side door. It could be that the wire can be pinched in the rubber boot
    that is between the door and body. There is a window circuit breaker it is one the fuse panel and its a silver fuse
    Also, up under the dash on both driver and passenger side are junction boxes which are white and feeds power from one side to another..

I did check the silver window fuse and it seems to be working. I will check to see if the wires are pinched in the boot. Question about the junction box...if they send power to both sides would that mean that if they were bad then the rear window on the driver side wouldn't work?

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

if they are pinched/ broken, you may not be able to tell (or it may be like my safari van where the wire casing was broken, and the wire was broken in half)
    If you can figure out which wire is the main power wire, repalce it from inside the interior into the door.

Quote Originally Posted by tromans View Post
    I did check the silver window fuse and it seems to be working. I will check to see if the wires are pinched in the boot. Question about the junction box...if they send power to both sides would that mean that if they were bad then the rear window on the driver side wouldn't work?
    that could happen, it's possible the wire that feeds into or out of the junction box came loose. Or do it the mickey mouse way...run a jumper wire from where you do have power
    and connect to the window you want up or down..my uncle did that to his datsun..
    It wouldnt go down from the passenger side switch but did from the master switch on driver side, so he cut the wires
    from the passenger and extended them to run across under the dash and to the master switch and touched them to
    driver window switch so whenever he rolled the window down, both will go down and up from one switch. Need to do that
    on my 78, passenger side is giving me issues

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

One thing that I have found in the past is ....if you have ever left the window down and it has rained the moisture will get into the switch area and cause oxidization. When you pull the switch out of the door you will see green buildup on the switch contacts and that is enough to stop the circuit from functioning. The switches will disassemble, clean up nicely, and with some dieelectric grease go back together and work fine again.
    the door hinge area is another culprit of course. Another culprit is the grounds which become corroded.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.