96 FWB won't move...what could it be?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 96 FWB won't move...what could it be? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I got my gray FWB back from the mechanic. He said the rear end had very little lube, so ...
    oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS|1996 FWB(x2)|2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

Question 96 FWB won't move...what could it be?

So I got my gray FWB back from the mechanic. He said the rear end had very little lube, so he added some and told me to drive the car awhile because it needed to be driven. Drove her to Myrtle Beach and back this weekend. No issues. Running errands around town today (ironically to some auto parts stores) I noticed the rear end was making a noise. It wasn't loud, just a noticeable noise especially when taking off from a full stop. It was a friction type noise/feeling like something was rubbing. It didn't feel like slipping. So I left the parts store and was in the left turn lane headed home.

The light turned green and I hit the gas...the engine revved but she wouldn't budge. No loud bang or anything. No warning lights. No problem with the engine. I shifted gears several times: no change. Since it was rush hour (exactly 5pm when this happened) and I was holding up the left hand turn lane at a busy intersection, there was a Sheriff's Deputy behind me in no time with lights on.

I got out and looked under the car: nothing hanging down; no fluid visible. I started the car again and she moved a few feet and stopped again. Now I was in the intersection so the police pushed me into a nearby gas station. She was towed to the Cadillac dealer but they were closed for the day so I have to wait until tomorrow for them to check it out.

Any thoughts on what it might be? Universal? Torque Converter? Trans?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Re: 96 FWB won't move...what could it be?

did you check the transmission fluid level?

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

It's going to be transmission. For sure, check the fluid. No reverse as well? If yes, low on fluid or broken pump. If it was rear end that was bad enough to not move, you would hear nasty noises when you tried to accelerate. If the rear was low, you have a leak. Yoke seal or one of the axles. It should be obvious.

This thread may help with diagnosis:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...d.php?t=252695

I haven't checked the fluid. I've seen no leaks. Called the mechanic and he said it was full of clean, bright fluid when he checked it. I think its the pump since I've got no action in any gear. The way it will work just a little when you first start then die off makes me think that. I read some other threads and came across this:
    http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f13/4l...utions-297698/

21. No movement in any gear: pump failure, or total loss of fluid. R&R, or refill pan and find the leak. If out of fluid, avoid running the engine until the trans is refilled to avoid pump damage. To check for pump failure, check fluid level with the engine off, then start the engine and recheck fluid level. If level does not go down when engine is running, the pump is broken.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    It's going to be transmission. For sure, check the fluid. No reverse as well? If yes, low on fluid or broken pump. If it was rear end that was bad enough to not move, you would hear nasty noises when you tried to accelerate. If the rear was low, you have a leak. Yoke seal or one of the axles. It should be obvious.

This thread may help with diagnosis:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...d.php?t=252695
    Thanks for that link! I think its this:

Whining sound from front of trans, shifts are sloppy: could be low on fluid or the pump is dying. Check fluid. If fluid level is okay, start making plans to park the car somewhere safe so you can get it towed, order a rental. CAUTION: You have may have as little as 4 miles before you completely lose the trans! Will need a rebuild.

Turned to this:

Loss of all gears: either no fluid or broken pump. Check for broken pump by checking fluid level with engine off, then start engine and check fluid level again. If no change in fluid level, then either the pump is bad or the filter fell off (if you have a deep pan and didn't setup the filter accordingly). Also, check your shift linkage.

BigCadMan_1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado 4.9

What! Did't you just buy this car?

Quote Originally Posted by BigCadMan_1 View Post
    What! Did't you just buy this car?
    Yep. Exactly a month ago. Service Manager called me this morning. It needs a rebuild but he said a new one from GM is cheaper than rebuilding. I expected him to say that. New one comes with a 3 year warranty.

Normally I'd be pissed, but since I have no intention to ever get rid of the car it doesn't bother me. I expected the tranny to last longer than 136k but who knows how long it was neglected. Since the fluid was fresh I suspect a trans flush was done recently. That probably didn't help.

Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

Don't feel too bad.. Mine gave up the ghost at 110k miles - got the PO to thank for lack of maintenance.. Conversely, I swapped in a tranny with 160k in, fresh out of another car to tide me over except for a new torque convertor, and it's still going strong. Go figure.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

Just be ready for the dealership price,hold on to something when they quate you lol

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by 85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
    Just be ready for the dealership price,hold on to something when they quate you lol
    This....I'd bet their new trans will be 3k+ installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Poda View Post
    Don't feel too bad.. Mine gave up the ghost at 110k miles - got the PO to thank for lack of maintenance.. Conversely, I swapped in a tranny with 160k in, fresh out of another car to tide me over except for a new torque convertor, and it's still going strong. Go figure.
    Eh I'm not worried about it really. I rather go ahead with a new one than take the chance of a used trans going sour again anytime soon. Hope yours has many more miles left.

Quote Originally Posted by 85 FLEETWOOD COUPE View Post
    I told em I expected no issues plus dinner and a good time at these prices.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    This....I'd bet their new trans will be 3k+ installed.
    3k is exactly right.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    ANY shop can put in a used trans in a rwd car. Neighbor had his broughm up on stands in driveway for 6 months. Car is finally gone. Yes, new trans is problem free but $$.

BigCadMan_1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado 4.9

What did you pay for this car you just bought less than a month ago?

silverfox103 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood & 07 CTS, 94 Roadmaster Wgn & 94 Caprice Wgn

"oldcaddybuyer" sorry to hear of your tranny problems. I own a 94 Caprice Wagon, a 94 Roadmaster Wagon and a 96 Fleetwood. When I see tranny's available, I pick them up. I had two for the 94's, but had to use one when I had one let go 700 miles from home.

I just last week picked up one for the 96 Fleetwood. Hate to tell you this part. We live in NH, but when down to visit the two oldest who live in Atlanta. I hopped on CL, and there it was: this man had a tree fall on his 96 FW w/ 46K on it. He sold the engine but not the tranny. The first ad I saw for the tranny was for $450, then dropped to $300. I called him and offered $200. Sold.

Tom C.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Did u drive from nh to atl? So u hauled used trans home?

silverfox103 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood & 07 CTS, 94 Roadmaster Wgn & 94 Caprice Wgn

That is correct, I had my RMW with me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.