Batterie for Deville 83
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Batterie for Deville 83 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi everyone. i'm Roberet from Paris France i got a Sedan Deville 1983 V8 4.1 gas i have to change ...
    robertgil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Sedan DeVille 1983

Batterie for Deville 83

Hi everyone.

i'm Roberet from Paris France

i got a Sedan Deville 1983 V8 4.1 gas

i have to change the batterie, unfortunatly here we can't find the bateries for such big engines. the Ah or Amp are always too low. or the size is too big.

so i found on internet a seller of OPTIMA bateries. any knows ?

he told me that the baterie with Yellow Top would be perfect for my Caddy, the model Y TS 4.2

but the problem is the it's a 55Ah 765/870 ... the baterie that i'm suppose to have on this car is a 78Ah 675/840

so does 55Ah are ok for this car ??? what could be the problem ?

I've heard also about the exepensive ODISSEY bateries. but same problem, lower Ah.

thanks for helping me ASAP

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Batterie for Deville 83

The Optima type batteries are not good for a car that sees occasional driving. If they discharge, they can't be recharged.

Stock battery is series 75, the bigger 78 will fit. Realistically, anything that fits and has the side posts in the right spot will work fine.

Ok. And what about the ACDelco but 115 Ah and 840 / 1000 A with the spot in top and + on left just has i need and that fits the baterie location ?? 115 ah aren t too much ? My alternator is a 80amp.

Let me know cause i m ready to buy it ! I need one !

And what are the series 75 78 ?? What brand ?

Ps optima says on their site that the baterie can be recharged.

Thanks

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

I put an Optima Red Top in my 81 with 6.0l and I just love it. I have had the battery discharged on a number of occasions because of a current draw and the car sitting too long unused and still charges up fine. This battery will crank and crank and crank. The AC Delco battery I had just wasn't doing the job.

Quote Originally Posted by SafariOne View Post
    I put an Optima Red Top in my 81 with 6.0l and I just love it. I have had the battery discharged on a number of occasions because of a current draw and the car sitting too long unused and still charges up fine. This battery will crank and crank and crank. The AC Delco battery I had just wasn't doing the job.
    Hi. Thanks for answering. a red top ok but why not a yellow top ? can you let the doors open for while. ? Or stay in your car to listen to the radio with the motor is off. ? i know Optima and Odissey are perfect to start... But.they don t have.lots of power in reserve. so i m lost.

And about the red top, the size won t fit my car i guess

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Yellow tops are deep cycle batteries. For use in vehicles with a lot of electronics, vehicles with high powered audio systems, or in situations where the battery will be discharged more than normal. Yellow tops have more reserve, but LESS CCA than red tops.

FWIW, any battery will go dead of you listen to the radio with the car off for long enough. But if your battery is dead after only 10/15 minutes of having the radio on, or a door open, you either have a defective battery, or a drain.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Yellow tops are deep cycle batteries. For use in vehicles with a lot of electronics, vehicles with high powered audio systems, or in situations where the battery will be discharged more than normal. Yellow tops have more reserve, but LESS CCA than red tops.

FWIW, any battery will go dead of you listen to the radio with the car off for long enough. But if your battery is dead after only 10/15 minutes of having the radio on, or a door open, you either have a defective battery, or a drain.
    Well i see what you mean. So for this Caddy with a regular Radio CD player and blutooth that i dont drive too often, maybe twice a month in the winter time.
    what would you use ? A red top if it can fit my car ...but too expensive for me i guess... Or a yellow top yt s 4.2
    or at least an ACDelco 78 ah 840/1000 cca i guess

For.info here in paris my car sleeps in a private garage..not cold. And if i use it in winter it wont be under minus 5° celcius.

Thanks for help. Due to the price of such baterie here about 300$ i dont want to make any mistakes. the acdelco is same price than optima here. But optima is 55ah and acdleco 78ah... So what to do

Just get a good quality, lead acid battery. It doesn't HAVE to be AC Delco.

When the car is left to sit, is it anywhere near a power outlet? If so, spend the money you saved on a battery float charger/maintainer.

Just get a good quality, lead acid battery. It doesn't HAVE to be AC Delco.

When the car is left to sit, is it anywhere near a power outlet? If so, spend the money you saved on a battery float charger/maintainer.
    No infortunatly no power outlet near the car. It s a Common parking.
    So you think acdelco is not as good as others ? got inly two choice acdelconor optima... But 55 or 78 ah

Oh no, AC Delco is great. But there are batteries that are just as good, that are less expensive. If those are your only choices, I'd get the AC Delco.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

My two cents: I put a Duralast Gold in my 89 about 7 years ago. Still hasn't let me down. Even on a couple of occasions where the car sat a week or more without being driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni View Post
    My two cents: I put a Duralast Gold in my 89 about 7 years ago. Still hasn't let me down. Even on a couple of occasions where the car sat a week or more without being driven.
    Sounds intersting..brand is Duralast ?? Not sur to find it here. but the important thing..how much Ah is yours and what should it on the dacillac informations??

It's AutoZones house brand. US only.

----------

Don't worry too much about AH. Your electrical system isn't very demanding on the battery, you don't need a super battery.

Is Bosch available in France?

It's AutoZones house brand. US only.

----------

Don't worry too much about AH. Your electrical system isn't very demanding on the battery, you don't need a super battery.

Is Bosch available in France?
    Yes Bosh is available

If you're really concerned with the output a Bosch Premium group 75 is rated at 730/910, and a group 78 at 770/950.

The best AC Delco Professional group 75 is rated at 735 CCA, the group 78 at 770.

If you can get a Bosch cheaper than an AC Delco, I'd go that route.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.