No Headlights in my '81 FWB
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, No Headlights in my '81 FWB in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've looked everywhere and can't figure this out, I have no low beams in my Brougham. The car's been parked ...
    Angry Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

No Headlights in my '81 FWB

I've looked everywhere and can't figure this out, I have no low beams in my Brougham. The car's been parked in the garage for months and has been started not too long ago, and everything was well. Now there's no lights (and no fuse). I swapped the switch out and it's not that. What am I missing? A fusible link or something? I can't trace anything down through the service manual either. They're finally calling for decent weather and I can't even take this car to work! No sign of mice, I have poison in the car and nothing touched it, I'm stuck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Re: No Headlights in my '81 FWB

I had the same problem with my 79 deVille a few years ago after the car was outside and unused for about 6 months. It turned out that, for whatever odd reason, all of the headlights were bad. Replaced them all and they are still good to this day.

If that doesn't fix your problem then maybe check the factory service manual.

Good luck Matt!!!

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

That's strange all the headlights would burn out at once. Does the dash still dim when you turn them on, does the tail lights and side markers still come on?
    There should be a fuse, circuit breaker or fusible link for the headlights.

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

When it happened to me, it was a bad dimmer switch (on top of the column).

(on top of the column)
    I'm not sure I know the switch?

All the lights in the whole car work, except the low beams and nothing dims or acts abnormal when I try to turn them on.

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Yes, that is how it started for me. First, the change between high and low would delay and go dark for a second. Then, the high beams quit. Then, no headlights at all. The dimmer switch was the problem. It is activated by the turn signal stalk, and connected to a rod that goes down the column. There is one electrical connection, and two nuts that hold it in place. You drop the hush panel, remove the two big nuts, lower the column to rest the wheel on the seat, then you can get at the switch. There will be a little pin that stays in place until you get the rod in, and the switch in the right spot with the nuts snugged down. Then, pull the pin. Switch is about 15 bucks.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

When you turn on the High beams do all 4 headlights come on? If so, I would suspect 2 bad low beam lights. Or the ground wires to the radiator support.

When I click on the high beams, just the high beams come on. But with a 12v test light it appears that I'm not getting power to the lows ever.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Jay has it. Look to the light.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    You can pull the connector off the switch that jay is talking about and apply power to the low beam wire.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

I had the same issue with my low beams on my 80 coupe. I checked my 80 service manual and just followed the path of where to check with a 12v tester. It was getting power at the headlight switch, at the dimmer switch at the firewall connector but when checked at the connectors for the lights no power, so I pulled out the wires of the wire loom and poked every inch of the low beam wire until I found the problem. Within the wiring, it has a fusible link which had gone bad. So in its place, I spliced in an in-line fuse, those from Autozone and presto, low beams work..
    in the mean time what you can do is run a jumper wire to the high beams and connect to wire of low beams and turn your lights on and put on high beams, all 4 should light up, or run splice into the low beam wire and run a seperate hot wire into the dash and connect to a toggle switch an when you're driving at night, flick on switch and you have low beams.
    I did this with my old Brougham Coupe I had and now going it again on my current Coupe but with the high beams..

I replaced the dimmer switch with no luck. Then I pulled a relay, just on a weird hunch and the hi beams went off. Swapped it for the one in the black car and it fixed it. Some big relay on a harness by itself stamped guide. Guidematic?

Well thats good. Where was the relay at, maybe perhaps thats my issue with my high beams...low beams work though

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

The guidematic also has a Power Relay which is near the fuse block..and a demand hi-beam relay.

I fixed my high beams issue, turns out a fusible link within the wiring harness leading out of firewall towards front
    of car was the problem. I used a jump wire and the hign beams came on, so I cut off the link and replaced with a in line
    fuse that I made..and presto...high beams come on..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.