Ugh.. not-quite-catastrophic brake failure..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Ugh.. not-quite-catastrophic brake failure.. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; This is more of a "vent" post than anything.. Yesterday, I took the step-son to the Toronto Auto Show.. I've ...
    Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

Ugh.. not-quite-catastrophic brake failure..

This is more of a "vent" post than anything.. Yesterday, I took the step-son to the Toronto Auto Show.. I've gotten really bored with these over the years, but the wee one likes it, so I take him to sit in all the cars he's "going to buy" when he starts driving

Anyways, while there, I saw, in the only booth worth visiting IMHO, the new Cadillac XTS. Very nice! I think this is as close to the old Fleets as Cadillac's gotten in a long time. Big car, comfy, and has quite the presence. "Not bad" I thought.. "May buy one when they hit the used market" I mused..

Car must've read my thoughts. Today, she decided while I was exiting the highway, to stop braking. Pedal like mush, rapidly losing pressure until it ends up on the floor. Shit! Like a ninja I slam the gear shift into neutral, position my left foot over the emergency brake in case, right foot blip the gas to increase vacuum pressure then on the brake.. ok.. some brake pressure. Slowly back down to the floor. Rinse, lather repeat. I get the car stopped, and call a tow truck.

While I'm waiting, I pop the hood. I spend a fair amount of time in there cleaning and tinkering in the summer, so it blew my mind that what I saw was the front left brake line pissing like a race horse all over the frame rail where the fuel lines exit. It's so tucked away and covered in grime, I'd never noticed it there before. It's so badly corroded compared to the other lines that I thought I'd post this as a warning to others.. Check your lines! Especially that one!

Car's at the shop now since I need it back ASAP.. I'm not looking forward to the next day or two of 4 hr commutes on transit to work. Balls.

On the flip side, thanks to my OCD nature, I'm now obsessed with replacing the entire brake line system on the car. As soon as the good weather hits the rest of it's getting done in the driveway from booster to caliper/drums, and she'll be good for another 20 years.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    At least you had room to get stopped.
    Brake lines are next on my list of things to do on the car...they're not leaking yet, but I'd rather replace them before they blow.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Re: Ugh.. not-quite-catastrophic brake failure..

Thanks for posting the warning/reminder!

It's one of those things where I've always thought "Who suffers brake failures?? How does that happen???"

Well.. Me.. Because I didn't follow that line all the way back last time I checked. Doh.

Flip side is I've got brand new lines for the fronts - I had them do both, and pick the car up tonight. Rears are fine, but starting to show specs of rust, so I'll do those anyway later when the weather warms up.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Kudos to you for not involving an accident because brakes are the most important components and in your case you acted quickly and kept calm by taking good actions .I read some car mags and they mention brake fluid should be replaced every 3 years to avert corrosion , I thought that was a BS but still could hold some water

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillacboy
    I read some car mags and they mention brake fluid should be replaced every 3 years to avert corrosion , I thought that was a BS but still could hold some water
    Hydraulic fluid loves water, it's hydroscopic. One of the reasons it periodic replacement.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Steel brake lines also love salt.

Are there any real alternatives to steel lines? Everything I'm reading points to no, but thought I'd ask anyway..

CBodyFan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Hydraulic fluid loves water, it's hydroscopic. One of the reasons it periodic replacement.
    Brake fluid also does not boil at high temperatures, water not so much...

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

I've had to replace brake lines and exhaust on my car 3 times each in the 8 years I've owned it. Pisses me off. I washed and undercoated that car every winter, only to have it rot away, regardless. Time to move down south...

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Poda,

Just try to remember any unusual braking experience a day or two before complete failure. Car stopped just two-three feet behind the line you expected it to stop? That kind of failures usually send some warning signs one should just notice and take action IMMEDIATELY. Do not ask how I know it... Scary experience. You did pretty well. Someone could just hit the parking brake while in gear and it would not respond at all. A lot of people (ladies) panic and put the gear selector in Park. You can do that if the car is almost sopped and you are about to hit another car or something.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I've replaced at least one brake line on EVERY winter car I have ever owned. Part of life when you drive old cars in the salt belt. The only time you run into real problems is when a line breaks before the prop valve. That's when things get interesting. In my experience (and I've popped a lot of brake lines), it always happens when you make a hard emergency stop. You'll stop fine, then the light will come on. Congrats, you've broken a brake line. Usually it is the long line from the front to the back, but sometimes it is one of the axle lines. On my old 87 Caprice, it was a line before the prop valve. One hard stop, then no brakes right after. Boom. Literally.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool
    I've replaced at least one brake line on EVERY winter car I have ever owned. Part of life when you drive old cars in the salt belt. The only time you run into real problems is when a line breaks before the prop valve. That's when things get interesting. In my experience (and I've popped a lot of brake lines), it always happens when you make a hard emergency stop. You'll stop fine, then the light will come on. Congrats, you've broken a brake line. Usually it is the long line from the front to the back, but sometimes it is one of the axle lines. On my old 87 Caprice, it was a line before the prop valve. One hard stop, then no brakes right after. Boom. Literally.
    Yup....that happened with my dad on his 77 poncho wagon....guy in a chevy truck ran a light. Dad hit the brakes and barely missed creaming the guy....then the brake light came on and there was a big puddle under the car.

That's the weird thing. No warning signs that I can think of, and I'm usually really in tune with the car behaving differently than I'm used to. No hard braking or emergency stops in the days leading up to it either. And when it happened, I wasn't trying to quickly scrub off speed for the off-ramp. I know how tight it is, so for that ramp it's a slow, gradual decrease way ahead of time.. Oh well, I have everything I need now to do the rear lines when Spring hits and I should be good. This is the last winter for this car anyway - I'll continue to drive it full time over the summer, then it's time to retire her to "Summer Toy" status and start the build-up I've been envisioning..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.