Why can't this 96 Fleetwood be closer to me? - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Why can't this 96 Fleetwood be closer to me? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Bag-Modu...831a3f&vxp=mtr Pretty sure that's the part, I even got the number from him. There was one for 50 bucks earlier ...
    Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

Re: Why can't this 96 Fleetwood be closer to me?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Bag-Modu...831a3f&vxp=mtr

Pretty sure that's the part, I even got the number from him. There was one for 50 bucks earlier in the week, but I can't find it anymore. Not sure if it's interchangeable with the Roadmaster/Caprice ones, because they have different part numbers.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

That's a real gem , thanks for the pics and not to mention it's extremely totally low mileage but low mileage doesn't always constitute that it will be trouble free . That car is gorgeous in every way and you did a good job by picking it up instead

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Nice car!! Congratulations!!!

He had a bunch of maintenance records. Oil was changed every 3,000 miles. It sat for about 6 months before he decided to sell it, and the starter was bound up, so he had it replaced recently. Alternator looks new, but I can't tell if it's just really clean. Believe it or not, a few years ago, the seal on the water pump failed and shorted out the optispark, so all of that has been replaced as well.

I'm still going to be extra vigilant once I get it on the road, but it made the 150 mile trip back home without a single problem. I was cruising at about 80. Probably the fastest the car has ever been.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni View Post
    I called him about an hour after I saw the local Fleetwood, so about 3:00? He was leaving the dealership for the day, so I highly doubt he sold it after that. The way he made it sound, he had people lined up out the door to look at the car. Not that I don't believe him, but he could have been lying. The car's been for sale since January.
    Congrats on the local purchase!

The originally mentioned car is STILL for sale. Basically it's overpriced for the mileage and condition.

My 1996 had 46,000 fewer miles when i bought it, was a no rust southern car (funeral home at that) and was about $1k less. I checked the VIN, verified that it had the factory CD player, and booked a 1-way flight the next day to SC. The dealer even picked me up at the airport in it. I was on my way home that afternoon. Of course I had to buy a set of new factory chromes for it. Then i sent the original wheels to be chromed so i have 2 sets now I took the almost new battery out of my FUBAR'd Eldorado and swapped it. Had to replace the ashtray (not really,but it was dirty) and the driver side knee kick pankel (under the steering column) but that was about it on the interior.

I found the post with production numbers. almost as many made in 1996 as 1995, (most of that in the last 6 months of 1996, since sales were 1/3 of 1995 rates at the beginning of the model year).

And most of them were black, so finding a black one is easy. I was looking for dark blue or black (black preferred), but the dark blue looks like black ice at night. It garnered 2nd place at the 2012 Cadillac club Grand National in St Augustine in June. I would have gotten a first place if I had time to properly clean it, but i took my wife out to dinner each night and it rained every night. It lost to a Deville that was sold at an auction the first night and was all cleaned up. Personally, i think i was robbed. Oh well.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by oldcaddybuyer View Post
    I called the dealer and they want a $1000 non-refundable deposit and payment ASAP. I'm looking into shipping rates first since my schedule doesn't allow for a trip right now and they will only hold for a limited time.
    with that further info plus the known airag issue, i would say Run Away.

Or as the robot in lost in space would say:

Danger, Will Robinson!

oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS|1996 FWB(x2)|2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

Well the deal is done. I couldn't walk away. The good condition, maintenance records, and numerous pictures of the engine bay, undercarriage, and interior were a sign that this car has been very well kept. I negotiated the air bag issue so I'm not paying the asking price. (Thanks to Cadillac Giovanni for the heads up) My body shop will replace the sensor for a much lower price than dealer quote. If all goes well she will be headed south in a few days.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

How the hell did you get him to come down? He wouldn't budge for me.

Gman1023 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Awesome, congrats! You got a beautiful car.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Happy endings all around!
    Two Cadillacs with loving caring homes.
    An interesting turn of events for us forum guys.
    A great connection between members cars and new interesting history for the two cars!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni View Post
    How the hell did you get him to come down? He wouldn't budge for me.
    I made an offer and they countered. Never did put a deposit down or anything. Salesman said there was a huge interest in the car and they had received numerous calls. My guess is the air bag light was turning folks away. The first thought that comes to my mind when I hear/see air bag light is: wreck. But I don't believe that to be the case here. When you told me about the air bag sensor I was going to pass on it, but I didn't want to take the chance of not finding another with these colors/options in good shape. Of course, now that I have bought it there will be a triple black, low mileage 96 with astroroof listed next week.

Cool, can't wait to see pics. You can definitely get the air bag module on ebay for around 80 bucks, and from what he told me, all you have to pull is the plastic panel above the gas pedal.

In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have put the deposit, but I've spent the past 6 months knowing I was going to need a new daily driver, and was deadset on a black Fleetwood. I was searching every day to no avail, so when that one popped up in that condition, I had to jump on it. The the one I bought now was frustrating to find so close to my departure, but is probably a blessing, and kept me from overpaying on that one.

Tried to register it this week, but in typical fashion, nothing can be easy for me. The seller made a boo-boo on the title, so now I have to get that straightened out, while the new Fleetwood sits in my driveway and looks pretty.

Interestingly enough, same thing happened to my previous Caddy, the Brougham. Drove north of Boston to pick it up, then had to wait a week and a half for the seller to get me an amended title while I was chomping at the bit to get it on the road.

Vitaqueen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood brougham, 01 Seville, 06 dts

Very pretty indeed! I just love seeing that little DTS along side there too!

Just thought I'd update the status of the car listed by the OP. She was picked up this morning and should arrive on Thursday. Transport driver was very impressed with the condition of the car so that is a good sign. Will have more info once she arrives...

My other 96 FWB left the body shop and is now with the mechanic getting all fluids changed and a thorough look over. She looks like new with fresh rub trim and new upper trim. Hope to have pics of them both soon.

VEGASELDO91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ELDORADO (R.I.P.); 1995 Sedan Deville

Beautiful Fleetwoods!! Look forward to seeing more pics!
    Cadillacboy and Cadillacboy like this.

She was delivered this morning at 930. The interior looks and smells like new. Even the gold keys and remote look brand new. I am truly surprised at the excellent condition of this car. Since she was hauled from MI, there is a heavy coat of road grime on her so I will be doing a full detail this weekend and will post pics. More to come!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.