Why can't this 96 Fleetwood be closer to me? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Why can't this 96 Fleetwood be closer to me? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; They don't. Cadillacs are among other special cars. People care about them. They are more than transportation. They are treasured, ...
    jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Why can't this 96 Fleetwood be closer to me?

They don't. Cadillacs are among other special cars. People care about them. They are more than transportation. They are treasured, and are always part of special occasions.
    Cadillacboy and Cadillacboy like this.

oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS|1996 FWB(x2)|2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

Sounds like it was meant to be! Just when you think you have found the last 'mint' Fleetwood, out pops another from someone's garage and there's always a story behind it. What time did you call the dealer in MI? I'm going to call first thing in the morning with a deposit...if no one beat me to it.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni View Post
    It's an interesting thing I've noticed about car shopping for Cadillacs; there's always a story attached. Every trip I made to look at a caddy was about 30% negotiation and 70% reminiscing. I bet people don't trade stories about Nissan Altimas... or maybe they do?
    What a wonderful and touching story. That is wonderful that the car is going to someone who will cherish it as much as the original owners and keep it in wonderful original Cadillac condition. Enjoy the new car.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    They don't. Cadillacs are among other special cars. People care about them. They are more than transportation. They are treasured, and are always part of special occasions.
    Well put! ...and as it should be!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcaddybuyer View Post
    Sounds like it was meant to be! Just when you think you have found the last 'mint' Fleetwood, out pops another from someone's garage and there's always a story behind it. What time did you call the dealer in MI? I'm going to call first thing in the morning with a deposit...if no one beat me to it.
    Hope you get it! Then the interesting stories on both cars just get that much more interesting!
    Cadillacboy and Cadillacboy like this.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

I called him about an hour after I saw the local Fleetwood, so about 3:00? He was leaving the dealership for the day, so I highly doubt he sold it after that. The way he made it sound, he had people lined up out the door to look at the car. Not that I don't believe him, but he could have been lying. The car's been for sale since January.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    A used car salesman, told you that there are people lined up, to see the car that you're interested in, which has been for sale for more than a month.....

Yeah, no truth stretching going on there.

I was told the same thing last week and it too had been on the lot since Jan. In that case there were folks interested but they didn't have the cash on hand or couldn't get financing. I imagine its more like he started calling folks back that had previously inquired once you backed out. Its amazing how fast the situation changes when you say 'cash buyer' lol

Oh yeah, heads up, the car has an airbag warning light on. He wasn't sure why, but I got him to take it to the Caddy dealer up the road and he said it was the airbag sensor diagnostic unit. The job was quoted super expensive, 500 bucks for the part and then another 500+ for the labor to replace and reprogram it. You can get a used one on ebay for 50-90 bucks, and you won't have to program it. I tried getting him to lower the price because of it, but to no avail.

He knew he had me over a barrel because I was flying in, so any time I tried to work the price down, he threatened to sell it to a local buyer. Funny, because initially it seemed we were going to play ball with the price, but then on Tuesday he called and said he had buyers offering the full 6500, so no dice. I imagine if I was local and showed up with like, 5500 cash, I could have had it a week ago.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

As much as I hate to say it, cut your loss and keep it moving!! Anyone that would use your travels as leverage to lock you in to something has no scruples. That sucks!!!!

If it weren't for this low mileage local Fleetwood that decided to pop up on Craigslist this week, I'd be on a plane right now.

I called the dealer and they want a $1000 non-refundable deposit and payment ASAP. I'm looking into shipping rates first since my schedule doesn't allow for a trip right now and they will only hold for a limited time.

Matt in Atlanta is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Oh yeah, heads up, the car has an airbag warning light on. He wasn't sure why, but I got him to take it to the Caddy dealer up the road and he said it was the airbag sensor diagnostic unit. The job was quoted super expensive, 500 bucks for the part and then another 500+ for the labor to replace and reprogram it. You can get a used one on ebay for 50-90 bucks, and you won't have to program it. I tried getting him to lower the price because of it, but to no avail.

He knew he had me over a barrel because I was flying in, so any time I tried to work the price down, he threatened to sell it to a local buyer. Funny, because initially it seemed we were going to play ball with the price, but then on Tuesday he called and said he had buyers offering the full 6500, so no dice. I imagine if I was local and showed up with like, 5500 cash, I could have had it a week ago.
    Screw that guy.

I'm looking at doing a fly in / drive home deal, but under no circumstances am I going to get into the used car dealer bullshit game. If he has a local buyer, why hasn't he sold the car? Because he is lying. That is why.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I called the dealer and they want a $1000 non-refundable deposit and payment ASAP. I'm looking into shipping rates first since my schedule doesn't allow for a trip right now and they will only hold for a limited time.
    Let me know if you want my shipper's contact info! He's in GA, too.

Heh, he only took a $100 deposit from me, and he refunded it. He probably got annoyed with long-distance buyers after I strung him along for a week and then dropped him, but can you blame me? How often do 27,000 mile Fleetwoods pop up in your backyard? I just got back from driving it home. It rides like a dream. Gonna get it on the road next week, clean it up, borrow someone's camera and take some nice pictures. For now, here's some crap ones from my camera phone:

That's my mother's 2006 DTS in the background. Should have parked my 89 behind it, then there could be 3 generations in one picture.
    Photo0222.jpg

And just to prove the mileage, the odometer. Rolled over 28,000 on the drive home.
    Photo0223.jpg

Gman1023 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Congrats, I would say you got a sweet deal! I think you will get many more years of reliable service from yours than you would from the triple black you passed up.

Heh, he only took a $100 deposit from me, and he refunded it. He probably got annoyed with long-distance buyers after I strung him along for a week and then dropped him, but can you blame me?
    Yep. He said he was burned by the last out of state buyer but I don't blame you one bit. I would have done the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Let me know if you want my shipper's contact info! He's in GA, too.
    Yes! That would be great. Thanks. Dealer quote was $650

----------

Oh yeah, heads up, the car has an airbag warning light on. He wasn't sure why, but I got him to take it to the Caddy dealer up the road and he said it was the airbag sensor diagnostic unit. The job was quoted super expensive, 500 bucks for the part and then another 500+ for the labor to replace and reprogram it. You can get a used one on ebay for 50-90 bucks, and you won't have to program it...
    I found a new part on Ebay for $300+ and on new GM parts site for $600. This is the only thing holding me back right now. Should I get the car and just get it fixed? Who knows when another triple black like this will turn up...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.