Why can't this 96 Fleetwood be closer to me? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Why can't this 96 Fleetwood be closer to me? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; How's your 89's rear bumper looking? Mine is just duct tape at this point. lol...
    outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Re: Why can't this 96 Fleetwood be closer to me?

How's your 89's rear bumper looking? Mine is just duct tape at this point. lol

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by outsider
    How's your 89's rear bumper looking? Mine is just duct tape at this point. lol
    If his isn't any good, LMK....I've seen a few good ones at the yard here.

Cadillac Giovanni is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

Mine is pretty great, actually. I replaced it a few years ago after I got rear ended, and I put undercoating on the inside to keep it from rusting out.

It's actually a bumper off of a 92. A couple of things are slightly different, but it still bolts together alright.

Matt in Atlanta is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni View Post
    Well, to cut to the chase, I basically just bought the car. Dealer just called me back and told me he has a local buyer interested and willing to pay the 6,500, but I had first dibs since I put a deposit. He could just be BSing me, but even if he is, I'd rather not take the chance. Blue book value of the car is between 6-7k so I'm still getting a fair deal. I'll be kicking myself if I let it get away.
    Good deal. Report back after your fly-in-drive-home. I rather enjoy doing that, as it ends up as a great shake-down run!

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Best of luck on your shakedown run back home.

Yeah, should be an adventure. Got my girlfriend to come with me. My thought process was that she could drive when I got too tired, but she's terrified of driving big cars. She's terrified of airplanes, too, come to think of it. Should be an exciting trip for her.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS|1996 FWB(x2)|2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

Hope your trip turns out well and the weather clears up. Notice on your trip home if any folks slow down a bit and gaze at the car before passing on. This happened to me several times in KY and TN. You can read the 'they don't make em like that anymore' look on their face.

I've been detailing the inside of mine this week. Got the leather and dash looking new with Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather cleaner and conditioner. Replaced the batteries in the remotes and reprogrammed. She's off to the body shop this Friday for touch-up then mechanic for full service. After that I have a lot of waxing to do

Was just showing pictures of the car to my mother. She's always quick to be negative, but basically the first thing out of her mouth was "I don't see why it's so special". She thought it looked just like her 95 Deville, and she can't understand why nobody would buy that off of her when she was trying to sell it.

I could spend all day explaining why a 96 Fleetwood is an entirely different car from a 95 Deville, but whatev. Some peeps just don't understand.

Fleetwood Greg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood

Congratulations, this looks like a great car. You will have those silly exhaust tips off in no time, those are the wheels I would like to find for my Fleetwood.
    I will look forward to your report after your big adventure.
    Fleetwood Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood Greg View Post
    Congratulations, this looks like a great car. You will have those silly exhaust tips off in no time, those are the wheels I would like to find for my Fleetwood.
    I will look forward to your report after your big adventure.
    Fleetwood Greg
    There was a set of 5 (4 plus full spare) for sale on Ebay last week. I think seller was asking $1200.

I may sell those wheels, actually. Not a fan of the chrome. Well, in pictures at least. I may feel different about them in person.

SO. Now that my trip to Michigan is less than 24 hours away, I casually check craigslist, and what should I find?

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/3642165649.html

I'm beside myself with disbelief. I'm going to look at it today, but there's a couple of red lights going off. One is that it says there's "minimal rust". In my neck of the woods, when people selling cars say there's no rust, there's rust. When they actually mention rust, there's probably extensive rust. I called the owner today, he confirmed the mileage (car belonged to aunt, drove it out to get mail and groceries), but he also mentioned the rust again without me even asking, and even went as far as to suggest I change brake lines.

Once again, with rust being what's killing my Brougham, I'm not really in the mood to trifle with it. But I'll look at the car, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni View Post
    SO. Now that my trip to Michigan is less than 24 hours away, I casually check craigslist, and what should I find?

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/3642165649.html

I'm beside myself with disbelief. I'm going to look at it today, but there's a couple of red lights going off. One is that it says there's "minimal rust". In my neck of the woods, when people selling cars say there's no rust, there's rust. When they actually mention rust, there's probably extensive rust. I called the owner today, he confirmed the mileage (car belonged to aunt, drove it out to get mail and groceries), but he also mentioned the rust again without me even asking, and even went as far as to suggest I change brake lines.

Once again, with rust being what's killing my Brougham, I'm not really in the mood to trifle with it. But I'll look at the car, for sure.
    Wow that is really low mileage. Maybe you can negotiate considering said 'minimal rust'. Looking forward to hearing your test drive experience.

If you don't want the triple black in MI let me know so I can book the flight

Well, I saw the 27k mile car today, and I officially broke off my deal with the car in Michigan, so by all means, book your flight!

The 27k mile Caddy was nothing short of gorgeous. Needless to say, I bought it. Checked underneath, and the "minimal" rust actually was very minimal. An hour or so with a wire brush and some POR15 and it'll be good as new. Everything worked that I could test, and the car started up and rode like a dream. At first I wasn't sure about the interior (I was dead set on black), but it adds some nice contrast to the car. No astro roof, either, but that's tolerable.

Here's the story behind the car: I talked to the seller and he told me the car belonged to his aunt since it was new. Her husband was the kinda guy who liked to go out and buy a new Cadillac every 5 years or so (Curious he didn't get any of the heritage badges). In 1995 his health was declining, and as a final gift he wanted to buy his wife one more car. Enter the Fleetwood. The wife loved the car, but used it sparingly. It works out to about 25 miles a week. Up the road to the hair dresser, and down the road to the grocery store and that's about it. She passed away last year, so the car sat in her garage, mostly. Her nephew was sure to occasionally start it and take it for a spin. The family had planned to wait until spring, get the car all cleaned and detailed, and try to sell it locally (with a $10,000+ price tag), but for some reason they just put it on Craigslist for a bit less. There were a few other people had called and were interested, but I was the first one to show up and look at it. (It's only been up since Monday). Whoever showed up first was going to buy this car. No question about it.

So that's the tale of my third Cadillac, going to pick it up tomorrow. It's an interesting thing I've noticed about car shopping for Cadillacs; there's always a story attached. Every trip I made to look at a caddy was about 30% negotiation and 70% reminiscing. I bet people don't trade stories about Nissan Altimas... or maybe they do?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.