Why can't this 96 Fleetwood be closer to me? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Why can't this 96 Fleetwood be closer to me? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Matt in Atlanta Did you purchase the sand colored 96 at the Cadillac dealer outside of Indianapolis? ...
    oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS|1996 FWB(x2)|2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

Re: Why can't this 96 Fleetwood be closer to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt in Atlanta View Post
    Did you purchase the sand colored 96 at the Cadillac dealer outside of Indianapolis? That car looks nice. I nearly purchased it this week but decided to keep looking for a local car if possible. I don't mind the fly / drive back - it's a great shakedown run, but I passed on this one for some reason.

Would love to hear your take on it after you return, and I'll keep trolling Atlanta Craigslist to find one that isn't ruined or overpriced. :-)

-Matt in Atlanta
    Yes I did. I drove two in Georgia this past week. One was in McDonough '95 black/gray 117k asking $6500. It is in good shape overall, but the OEM rims had been replaced with wire vogues. Didn't look bad but I wanted all stock. I found a set of OEM chrome on Ebay but didn't want the hassle of selling/buying/changing tires. There were a few more issues that caused me to mark it off my list. The other was in Thomson '94 white/gray for $3300. It is a Brougham w/o vinyl top. Has an oil leak and needs some cosmetic work but still a good price. I've debated on getting it as well as a project. I had a friend check a triple blue out for me in Tampa, but the seller wasn't honest on the condition. The others I looked at were further away and most sold before I could make arrangements. Sometimes even before the seller called back. There is definitely a demand for these.

I bought the '96 in Anderson, IN for a few reasons. One was the color (Fawn Gray according to the original sticker) and the chrome wheels. The interior has very little wear in comparison to the others I've seen. Second, it had $1008 worth of service by the dealership after it was traded. New A/C compressor, new battery, hoses, brakes, filters, exterior bulbs, and oil change/tire balance and rotation. Tires are in good shape. Third, both key less entry remotes and four ignition keys were included. The two I drove only had one set and didn't know if it was key less equipped. Fourth, price was fair. It's not mint but not in bad shape for the price compared to others.

The ride home was great. 670 miles, 7 States: IN, OH, KY, TN, NC, SC, GA. And my back didn't hurt at all. (Just driving to Atlanta in my STS gives me backache sometimes) Drive was smooth, no vibration or shimmy. Acceleration and braking were excellent. Everything worked as it should. Even the power antenna and trunk pull down. Its going to my mechanic later this week to have a thorough inspection. I'm going to have him drop the fuel tank, flush, and replace the pump/filter as a precaution. Then its off to the body shop for new rub trim and some touch up. The only thing missing is the chrome trim that goes around the right tail light. Also, the driver's mirror glass is cracked. It has some flaws but not bad for a 16 year old car.

Build date: 10/96
    Original price: $36,995
    Options:
    Security Package: $360
    Brougham: 2,465
    Chrome Wheels: $1195
    AM/FM Radio/CD/Cassette: $200
    Garage door opener: $107
    Total Options: $4327
    Destination Charge: $640
    Total Price: $41,962

Delivered to: Wilson Olds Cadillac in Elizabethtown, KY
    Purchased: 03/97

One way flight from Augusta to Indy: $165
    One fill up in Newport, TN $82.67 (Shell 93)

This was quite a trip and I really enjoyed it. Met some interesting folks on the flight and stopped to visit a friend in TN. Already looking forward to the next one!

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Great story!!! Congrats!!

Cadillac Giovanni is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

Sweet, I'm looking forward to having a similar journey in my future.

I called the dealer and put a deposit on the car so he holds it for me. I'm going to have an inspection agency check it for me during the week. If it checks out, my journey will be over the weekend, hopefully.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

Hope it all works out for you. That's exactly what my next one will be: triple black with chrome wheels. It will have to be below the Mason-Dixon though. Keep us posted.

Thinking about skipping the inspection agency. Checked the carfax and the previous owner took the thing to a Cadillac dealership for scheduled maintenence every 4000 miles or so. Was stored during winter, so rust shouldn;t be an issue. Still gonna ask for pics of the undercarriage, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni View Post
    Thinking about skipping the inspection agency. Checked the carfax and the previous owner took the thing to a Cadillac dealership for scheduled maintenence every 4000 miles or so. Was stored during winter, so rust shouldn;t be an issue. Still gonna ask for pics of the undercarriage, though.
    I was looking at the Carfax as well and noticed all the maint entries. Good that the oil cooler lines and shocks have been replaced. They even had the fluids flushed at 80k. Looks like it has been cared for well. How much is the inspection agency going to charge?

Agency's price was 350, plus a 50 dollar "travel fee". A little too expensive for me. Just got pics of the undercarriage from the dealer. Very clean overall. A little surface rust on some of the exhaust, but nothing major. Gonna hit any other rusty spots with POR15 or something. I've learned my lesson with rust.

Well, to cut to the chase, I basically just bought the car. Dealer just called me back and told me he has a local buyer interested and willing to pay the 6,500, but I had first dibs since I put a deposit. He could just be BSing me, but even if he is, I'd rather not take the chance. Blue book value of the car is between 6-7k so I'm still getting a fair deal. I'll be kicking myself if I let it get away.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

When you find what you want at a price you are happy with....do it. Everyone will always have opinions but in the end they are not the one putting up the money. Any item is always worth what a willing seller and a willing buyer are prepared to agree upon.

I know nothing about market values, but if you are happy that is all that should matter! I would mark it as well bought in my book then. Enjoy!

Yeah. Although, I broke my cardinal rule of never buying something without driving it first. Still, I'm young. The time to be stupid and impulsive is NOW.

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
    Been following your post here...congrats on the new ride, it looks very nice.

Good luck with the new car!

Yeah, sad to have to replace the old Brougham after 8 years of loyal service. It's not so much of a replacement as it is a succession.

...anybody need a parts car?

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni
    Yeah, sad to have to replace the old Brougham after 8 years of loyal service. It's not so much of a replacement as it is a succession.

...anybody need a parts car?
    Put up a bunch of pics on the parts for sale/ wanted thread....also try lay it low.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Congrats!

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Congrats, finally you did it

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.